Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers you are confident could have beaten Mike Tyson at his peak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    You mean he's scared of the little turd who couldn't put away Mitch Green?

Wlad showed more heart and guile in his loss to Joshua than Tyson showed at any point in his career.

In fact, at least Wlad can say he held it together to actually have a career.
    Or Tony Tucker. Everyone was taller than Mike but it’s not like extra tall fighters were his specialty. He could pound a guy against the ropes but fighting on the inside was never his goal. Tyson vs an in shape Corrie Sanders whose only there to empty the tank in two rounds coulda been fun also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeh333 View Post
      Hard to say...I suspect both fights were fixed. Liston was mob-controlled. A sad fate for a great athlete.
      And also how he died.From reading reports Ive a feeling it was drug related ?

It was a lot like Marquez-Mayweather... JMM is more technically sound and had a fearsome punch, but that was inconsequential against a bigger faster man. Sure, detractors will say the fiasco leading up to the fight had a serious impact. But you think any of them would have put money on JMM to beat Floyd at 130?

But at least Marquez was a warrior. Sonny was just a bukly. Liston has been made into a boogey man that he really wasn't. A lot of Ali's confidence was probably owed to seeing Liston for what he was, not what WE "remember" Liston to have been.
      Good post.

As a relative boxing novice I was disappointed to read recently that Mayweather came in heavier for that fight and wasnt honest about his weight even on fight night .Hence in part explains why Marquez didnt perform as I thought he would and give him a far tougher fight?.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky12 View Post
        And also how he died.From reading reports Ive a feeling it was drug related?
        The conspiracy theory is that he was murdered because he accidentally knocked out a boxer in his last fight, when he was supposed to take a fall. But I may very well have been a drug overdose. Sadly I suppose no one will ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky12 View Post
          And also how he died.From reading reports Ive a feeling it was drug related ?

Good post.

As a relative boxing novice I was disappointed to read recently that Mayweather came in heavier for that fight and wasnt honest about his weight even on fight night .Hence in part explains why Marquez didnt perform as I thought he would and give him a far tougher fight?.
          - -It was a catchweight fight wher Jr chose to come in heavy and pay JMM a multi thousand dollar penalty. Marquez was trying to replicate PAC feat of jumping 2 divisions to knock out Oscar who at least made weight.

The IRS seized the entire Jr purse for that fight!

Only in boxing, folks!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -It was a catchweight fight wher Jr chose to come in heavy and pay JMM a multi thousand dollar penalty. Marquez was trying to replicate PAC feat of jumping 2 divisions to knock out Oscar who at least made weight.

The IRS seized the entire Jr purse for that fight!

Only in boxing, folks!
            Thanks for the information.👍

Comment

Originally posted by MartialMind View Post
              For the brief period of time where everything was firing for Mike and he was at his absolute peak, are there any boxers in history you feel very confident could have beat him at that time?
              Not to be a pedant, just trying to clarify the question, but you wrote "could've".
              Do you mean could've- implying that if they fought that fight many times who could get at least one win against prime Tyson? Or do you mean would've- meaning if they fought once who would most likely defeat Tyson.

There are a lot of guys who could have beaten a prime Tyson, less though that I'd favor would beat him.

Comment

Very clever!

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                  Or Tony Tucker. Everyone was taller than Mike but it’s not like extra tall fighters were his specialty. He could pound a guy against the ropes but fighting on the inside was never his goal. Tyson vs an in shape Corrie Sanders whose only there to empty the tank in two rounds coulda been fun also.
                  Yeah, definitely a chance for a barnburner.

I do feel like Sanders struggles to find Mike, though. I think mike's movement and pressure denny Corrie his chance at success.

It's funny thinking about Tyson fighting a Sanders or a Cooney or a Golota... suddenly he's the less talented guy who's favored to win due to his skill, professionalism and mental fortitude. Too weird.

Comment

Yeah, definitely a chance for a barnburner.

It's funny thinking about Tyson fighting a Sanders or a Cooney or a Golota... suddenly he's the less talented guy who's favored to win due to his skill, professionalism and mental fortitude. Too weird.
                    Great comment.

Comment

Evander Holyfield: He was never scared of Tyson, he always had that mental edge that most guys didn't had against him, even as an amateur (and as a light heavyweight), he got in the ring with Tyson who already had a reputation and the session was so heated that they stopped it. He was too tough to be stopped and his combinations, stamina and technique would be enough to get the win IMO.

Lennox Lewis: His jab was too good and he had the speed and power that many Tyson opponents didn't had, most times they only had one of those attributes. He had the pedigree and skills to best Tyson IMO.

Vitali Klitschko: He had the footwork and reach to stay away from Tyson with an iron chin, power, stamina and skills. He would outbox Mike IMO.

Muhammad Ali: I think Ali is mentally, the strongest boxer of all time, he would take the challenge and dance around Tyson till he is tired and then will finish him. Tyson was a combination of speed and power that Ali never saw but Tyson never had someone who could keep a constant pace with the movement besides Buster.

Comment

Working...
                      X