Ali vs. Wilt Chamberlin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonRingRules
    Ali got into boxing by accident.
    uh hmmm, he got into boxing after sum kid stole his bike then he learned to box, when he was a kid himself..and after he won golden gloves or sumthing he went to dundee...u study up

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
      Indeed, big wilt flattened in 1.
      I don't know about that.

Comment

** Obviously you don't think. Valuev has a 71%KO ratio, very good. KO% is more than power. You have to have enough speed and intelligence to catch up to a fighter and penetrate his defense. You really should study up.

Regardless, Wilt was the superior athlete and very competitive. The fact that D'amato was willing to train him speaks volumes and Ali was serious enough to have a contract drawn up. That's why the thread started.
        You're absolutely right on the speed and intelligence part. But like I said, these things take years and years to develop. No person (no matter how large) could step into the ring and beat Muhammad Ali with absolutely no experience. On the street, yes. In the ring, no. How many fighters can step into the ring without any AMATEUR experience, and do well? Very, very few. Now let's expand on that, and say, how many can step into the ring without any amateur or professional experience, and beat arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time? None.

And I don't agree that Wilt is the superior athlete. Wasn't Ali voted athlete of the century? BTW, I'm not saying this thread is pointless, I'm saying suggesting Wilt could win is absurd.

Comment

** Luckily, nobody wants you to pose for anything.

Wilt was more than a Jordan. He was an all-state HS track star, competing in high jump, 400M, and shotput, not a fatboy Shaq. Cus D'amato took Wilt under his tutelage and trained him for the fight. Cus wouldn't have wasted his time if Wilt had no talent. Cus said he was not training Wilt to be a boxer, but to beat one man in the ring with size, strength, reach, and a set up.

Shame the fight never came off. Different versions of why, but basically Wilt said it boiled down to money and a shaky contract. It would have been great spectacle, and guaranteed Wilt is strong enough and coordinated enough to KO anyone if he connected. Ali would have his hands full early as this was no Cleveland Williams or Brian London.
          . It would be arkward for Ali, but due to Wilts total lack of experience in the squared circle i would place all my money on Ali smoking him in the first round.... it was Mike Tyson that famously said 'Everyones got a plan till they get punched in the mouth' obviously wilt wasn't use to being hit, use to intensity of a boxing match and i believe the whole situation would be a little overwhelming for him.... No previous experience whatsoever and he was going to get thrown in with Ali? nuts. Having athletic ability is one thing... having the skillset to facilitate it is totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by hellfire508
            And I don't agree that Wilt is the superior athlete. Wasn't Ali voted athlete of the century? BTW, I'm not saying this thread is pointless, I'm saying suggesting Wilt could win is absurd.
            ** Athlete of the century? That beauty contest went to Michael Jordan who proved he wasn't a good enough athlete to compete as a pro in baseball and golf, 2 sports he'd die and give up all his NBA titles for.

I'm not suggesting that Wilt would win, but rather stating that D'amato thought Wilt could win with the right training and gameplan. Just the facts, plainly stated.
            Last edited by LondonRingRules; 08-06-2006, 03:04 AM.

Comment

** Athlete of the century? That beauty contest went to Michael Jordan who proved he wasn't a good enough athlete to compete as a pro in baseball and golf, 2 sports he'd die and give up all his NBA titles for.

I'm not suggesting that Wilt would win, but rather stating that D'amato thought Wilt could win with the right training and gameplan. Just the facts, plainly stated.
              Oh, well I thought it went to Ali.

OK, I still dont think he could win.

Comment

Wilt is in totally over his head here. He would get blown apart by Williams, Quarry, Chuvalo, and yes even a guy like Brian London without the same background as these guys. You wouldn't put some genius straight out of the trailer park with a 180 IQ in with a bunch of rocket scientests and expect him to do comparable work would you? I don't care a person's raw potential, without the background and experience so neccesary in a sport like boxing, he will get killed. Now give Wilt 4 years of training and professional experience and we're talking a COMPLETELY different fight. 6-8 month is just not enough time to give him any chance at all.

I wouldn't even give him a puncher's chance because there's no guarantee the guy can even punch. We just don't know enough about Wilt Chamberlain the fighter to give him any hope of succeeding in this mountainous task of dethroning one of the all time heavyweight greats.

Comment

The fact that D'amato was willing to train him speaks volumes
                  It sure does. It proves D'Amato believed in the old adage "there's a sucker born every minute." D'Amato wanted to boost his own ego by drawing attention to himself by training Chamberlain while cashing in on the gullible buying public who were actually interested in this freak show novelty fight.

Just think of the possibilities that lay before Cus the Guru...

George Foreman vs Joe Namath

Joe Frazier vs Jack Nicklaus

Sonny Liston vs Mickey Mantle
                  Last edited by SABBATH; 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Ali would have his hands full early as this was no Cleveland Williams or Brian London.
                    He was worse! Williams and London themselves would flatten Chamberlain in one round.

Comment

GOLF

I have enough problems with people in the media saying Tiger Woods is on the same level or better than Babe Ruth, Ali, Jordan, etc. I was Ok with them saying he is the "Ruth" of his sport, but when they started to say he could be possibly the best and most dominate athlete of all time, WTF.

I don't have anything against golf when it comes to how hard it is as a game, but I will do what most people do, wait till I am retired, 65, and want to get away from the wife.
                      Last edited by Abe Attell; 09-18-2006, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X