No announcement yet.

Ali vs. Wilt Chamberlin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wouldn't be as close as most of us might think
    I don't think any of us think it would be close. How could it be close? Ali boxing a basketball player? Where's the competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
      I don't think any of us think it would be close. How could it be close? Ali boxing a basketball player? Where's the competition?
      Sorry, I meant to say that it would be closer than most of us might think. The reason is because not only does he have the reach and height advantage, but being a basketball player, he had a combination of some speed, agility, and good coordination. I'm not saying he was very fast or very agile, but he had a good base. If a trainer is asked to choose a type of athlete to become boxers, they would usually choose basketball players because of those attributes. Also, Ali would most likely be cocky and not train much for the fight at all. Cus D'Amato would have had 6 - 8 months to give Chamberlain intense training.

Comment

Even though Ali probably wouldn't train and not care much about the fight. Chambetlain with 0 boxing experience will never beat Ali. It would take him tons of experience just to getting used to getting hit in the face, body, etc.

Comment

The more interesting question is if chamberlain could have made inroads in today's HW division. No way in hell he is even competitive against the greatest.

Comment

Today's heavyweights are one of the worst ever. Not enough action.

Comment

I agree. Valuev is 7'0 and 300 plus pounds but we still don't even compare him with the all-time greats. NJFighter that is a very funny and cute picture! When was that picture taken, post or prior to the "eat your children" quote?

Comment

I have no idea, I found it on another board. It's most likely photoshopped

Comment

IMO the question shouldnt be who would win, obviously it would be ALI, but how long would he last against ali

IMO 1st round

Comment

IMO 1st round
                    Even that seems long to me! Can't we get it down to seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
                      There's no way a basketball players gonna step in there with Ali and pose any problems.
                      ** Luckily, nobody wants you to pose for anything.

Wilt was more than a Jordan. He was an all-state HS track star, competing in high jump, 400M, and shotput, not a fatboy Shaq. Cus D'amato took Wilt under his tutelage and trained him for the fight. Cus wouldn't have wasted his time if Wilt had no talent. Cus said he was not training Wilt to be a boxer, but to beat one man in the ring with size, strength, reach, and a set up.

Shame the fight never came off. Different versions of why, but basically Wilt said it boiled down to money and a shaky contract. It would have been great spectacle, and guaranteed Wilt is strong enough and coordinated enough to KO anyone if he connected. Ali would have his hands full early as this was no Cleveland Williams or Brian London.

Comment

Working...
                      X