Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lennox Lewis set up to lose against Vitali Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Will

It sounds like you were picking up on the anti-Lewis sentiments that were part of Lewis' career from the get-go. I don't know about the sheenanigans in this fight to get Vitalie in there, but will say this: Lewis felt that by taking on all commers, even avoiding mandatory defenses that were nonsense like John Ruiz, and fighting guys percieved as a threat like Michael Grant, would show he was the "best heavyweight on the planet" (his words).

By the time this fight rolled around Lewis probably felt he had shown his mettle, and had a difficult time, having prepared for a very weak opponent, not being in shape...and pulling out a game situation, taking everything Vitalie threw in the process. Now here is where it gets sad to me...

Lewis was expecting after this fight to have a kind interview, to be shown some respect and compassion by the media. Instead these sentiments came to a head. Lewis learned a valuable lesson, one that Ali had internalized years back: most people in the media are not your friend, not kind, not understanding, they are sycophantic to the interests of a narrative.

When it was Ali the narrative was, those who refused to fight were cowards, and very few toed the line, Cosell (RIP Howard) was one of them, which is why a Muslim convert (Ali) respected Cosell, a jew.

With Lewis he was immediately attacked for his performance. Lewis was taken aback and lost it. If you listen to the interviews that night you can see that something died in Lewis. He seemed to realize the chimera he was faced with and lost his own reticent breeding in the process. He sounded horribly defensive and like a sore winner, but if one really examines why, one can see that Lewis was attacked by the media. This is a man who was given maybe one gift decision (Mercer) and avenged all his defeats in the ring, and fought many young lions coming up, and those percieved as the top fighters of his era.

And no, lewis did not duck Tyson, as some here maintain... and he did not duck Bowe, but it often seems that many ducked him.
    Lewis didn't duck Bowe, Bowe and his manager Rock Newman wanted no part of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Lewis didn't duck Bowe, Bowe and his manager Rock Newman wanted no part of him.
      Don't have to convince me, or anyone these days, but at the time...

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
        I do think it's lame that Lewis didn't do the rematch, but sometimes I consider it to be understandable.
        The rematch could have been a helluva fight.
        But I think Lewis took a clever move.
        If you already have proven yourself, and ain't that hungry anymore, why not pass the ball to the next generation.
        After all, boxers retiring before their expiry date are kind of rare. Sad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
          The rematch could have been a helluva fight... After all, boxers retiring before their expiry date are kind of rare. Sad to say.
          Yeah, exiting before, or at exactly the moment when the time is right, seemingly is an issue for more fighters than not. Also, it isn't a phenomena strictly limited to any specific kinds of fighters. Champions, former, present, or those expected to one day be, as well as what some d i l d o s would call nobody's. Nobody's immune, that's for sure.

Comment

The worst version of Lewis mutilated the best version of Vitali. End of.

Comment

What kind of legacy did Vitali go on to accomplish after that fight?

Comment

Reading the comments in this thread shows there should be an IQ Test administered to anyone wishing to post on this forum.

Lewis was huffing and puffing, near death. Vitali wasn't making the necessary adjustments, but he was continuing to press the fight.

The stoppage absolutely was conspicuously convenient.

Lewis packed on extra weight SPECIFICALLY for that fight. He was coming off two of his best career performances. He was a 4-1 favorite.

Vitali was a still a few years off from his prime. And Lewis realized, if he had to fight Vitali, he'd need to pull the wool over his eyes.

When it almost backfired the referee intervened.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  What kind of legacy did Vitali go on to accomplish after that fight?
                  Nothing of note!

Just became the greatest Heavyweight of all time - until the arrival of Tyson Fury.

So yeah, complete waste. Absolute nobody.

Comment

LOL IQ test. To quote Jerry "The King" Lawler, Rusty took an IQ test "and the results came back negative."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      LOL IQ test. To quote Jerry "The King" Lawler, Rusty took an IQ test "and the results came back negative."
                      Oh Shortbus, Pro-Wrestling definitely is more your thing.

Thank God, no one has told you the secret yet.

I really want to, but I am not that mean. Not to kids who ride the short bus.

Comment

Working...
                      X