Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lennox Lewis set up to lose against Vitali Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
    Just listen to what he said about Vitali before the fight, and then watch the fight.

The media just calls it like they see it. He said Vitali shouldn't be in the ring with him and he was getting his ass whipped.

That's all there is to it.
    No there was more to it... and I am not saying Lewis is right and Vitalie is wrong. Vitalie and Vlad were arrogent and disrespectful of Lewis...Lewis was hurt initially because of Larry Holmes syndrome: The media just did not want an intelligent speaking, triple citizenship guy to have the title... lewis also could be arrogant and stand offish, no doubt.

Proof of this? the media often made a case that whether it was Lewis, or the Klits "until an American Heavyweight was beat, it was not real" Merchant was chief among this hurdle and at the time? the best American heavy was Rahman I believe...

The Klits would often play that brother s hit in the ring...Like when Vlad got stretched by Sanders... and they were very standoffish to Lewis.

Over this period there was acrimony that built. The real culprit in my opinion was how the fight ended. it just did not give them a chance to let bygones go...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      No there was more to it... and I am not saying Lewis is right and Vitalie is wrong. Vitalie and Vlad were arrogent and disrespectful of Lewis...Lewis was hurt initially because of Larry Holmes syndrome: The media just did not want an intelligent speaking, triple citizenship guy to have the title... lewis also could be arrogant and stand offish, no doubt.

Proof of this? the media often made a case that whether it was Lewis, or the Klits "until an American Heavyweight was beat, it was not real" Merchant was chief among this hurdle and at the time? the best American heavy was Rahman I believe...

The Klits would often play that brother s hit in the ring...Like when Vlad got stretched by Sanders... and they were very standoffish to Lewis.

Over this period there was acrimony that built. The real culprit in my opinion was how the fight ended. it just did not give them a chance to let bygones go...
      Funny but I was just reading yet another old KO ****zine.

Nigel Collins says it will take eight rounds and the acrimony will fade and respect will replace it.

I guess according to Nigel they were two rounds short of making peace.

P.S. He was speaking of a different fight, where the insolent principals embraced at the end, but I can't remember what fight.

Comment

Even Lennox knows Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to fake the injury. But the establishment was behind Lewis, to keep the belt under control in N America.

Lewis asked Vitali to his face at an event recently Did you pay off Johnson to fake the injury? And Vitali looked around and mumbled something, he knew he couldnt admit to it with cameras rolling and hundreds of fans watching.

Vitali and his team had been ducked by Lewis and took him to court 3 or 4 times to get the shot. They got Johnson to step aside and then hunted down Lennox but Lewis still had some greatness left and defied Vitali. But Lennox was unsure he could win the rematch and retired after he saw Vitali beat Sanders and Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
          Just listen to what he said about Vitali before the fight, and then watch the fight.

The media just calls it like they see it. He said Vitali shouldn't be in the ring with him and he was getting his ass whipped.

That's all there is to it.
          They were whipping eachother's asses actually, with Lewis dealing out the most damage.

Lewis acknowledged in the post fight interview that Vitali does belong in the ring with him, but he was not about to phraise him.

Not after Vitali's unsportsmanlike conduct after the fight was stopped. Lewis was a gentleman, when they fell to the canvas and Vitali kicked his leg, Lewis still gave him a helping hand to get back up. Then the doctors stopped it and Vitali gets in Lewis' face, pushing him and acting like a maniac.

After that, he's not giving Vitali kudos no matter how grumpy arse Larry is bugging him.

Comment

Originally posted by Monzon99 View Post
            Even Lennox knows Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to fake the injury. But the establishment was behind Lewis, to keep the belt under control in N America.

Lewis asked Vitali to his face at an event recently Did you pay off Johnson to fake the injury? And Vitali looked around and mumbled something, he knew he couldnt admit to it with cameras rolling and hundreds of fans watching.

Vitali and his team had been ducked by Lewis and took him to court 3 or 4 times to get the shot. They got Johnson to step aside and then hunted down Lennox but Lewis still had some greatness left and defied Vitali. But Lennox was unsure he could win the rematch and retired after he saw Vitali beat Sanders and Johnson.

Johnson was poised to make 1.2 million for the fight, and Vitali got 1.4 million (plus a piece of the German TV rights) for the actual go.

The numbers don't work. How much did the Brothers Klitschko have to pay Johnson to make this work?

What's Johnson motivation to walk away, at what price?

The Brothers Klitschko weren't at that moment 'serious earners' yet, did they have a million to throw away?

Lewis was even making noises that he would fight Klitschko in November anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
              Johnson was poised to make 1.2 million for the fight, and Vitali got 1.4 million (plus a piece of the German TV rights) for the actual go.

The numbers don't work. How much did the Brothers Klitschko have to pay Johnson to make this work?

What's Johnson motivation to walk away, at what price?

The Brothers Klitschko weren't at that moment 'serious earners' yet, did they have a million to throw away?

Lewis was even making noises that he would fight Klitschko in November anyway.
              I agree. I think Lewis just underestimated him and took the fight thinking he wouldn't pose a problem. He was riding high off of that Tyson win and having Foreman calling him the GOAT for that win. Plus it was right around the time Both Klitschko's were having bad losses(Byrd, Sanders).

Comment

Originally posted by Monzon99 View Post

- -Wrong on every count including Sanders and Johnson that were for the WBC title because Lewis had retired...Duh!

Comment

Lewis did not officially retire until after Vitali beat Johnson. He was waiting and hoping Vitali lost.

Comment

An undisclosed sum and the promise of a title shot for Vitali's belt. Every body knew Vitali was going to win the title at some point.

Lewis actually asked Vitali about if they paid off Johnson on stage recently when they met again at some kind of event anniversary of their LA fight. Vitali's reaction was interesting. No doublt Vitali paid Kirk to step aside, Lennox knew it. I saw the video on twitter.

Vitali said at the time in 2003 that he had to take Lennox to court 3 or 4 times to get the fight. Lennox was clearly dodging Vitali. And any promise to fight him in November could not be trusted. Lennox dropped the IBF belt to King and Byrd before that. Lewis knew Vitali was a nightmare to fight at 38 and he wanted no part of the rematch though he did promise it to Vitali's face. Vitali kept saying Lennox is a gentleman and he believed Lennox would keep his rematch promise. Of course Lewis failed to keep his word.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                      I agree. I think Lewis just underestimated him and took the fight thinking he wouldn't pose a problem. He was riding high off of that Tyson win and having Foreman calling him the GOAT for that win. Plus it was right around the time Both Klitschko's were having bad losses(Byrd, Sanders).

Total misread. Lennox knew Vitali was a beat and was taken to court 3 or 4 times by Vitali and Peter Kohl. Lennox was dodging Vitali who was his mandatory. He handpicked Kirk Johnson because he was easier though Vitali brought in more $ with German TV. Lennox knew damn well Vitali was going to be his toughest career fight and it was. Though Lennox says Holyfield was his toughest fight it's BS.

Comment

Working...
                      X