No announcement yet.

Ambiguous Boxing Terminology

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Its an image thing... Dennis Miller uses them big words, and Kellerman can use em... The American public calls them intellectuals.

Actually interesting factiods about Kellerman. Went to a very very elite public high school in New York city. One of those places where the government watches who goes in... Hunter High School, we used to play stickball there lol.
    Bro... SNL Dennis Miller...... I’m laughing like a lunatic.
    Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Its an image thing... Dennis Miller uses them big words, and Kellerman can use em... The American public calls them intellectuals.

Actually interesting factiods about Kellerman. Went to a very very elite public high school in New York city. One of those places where the government watches who goes in... Hunter High School, we used to play stickball there lol.
      Geez, so are all boxing announcers terrible? Have they always been? I liked me some Cosell, Barry Tompkins and Don Dunphy. But is everyone just terrible now? Or are there any good ones left? I haven't seen any DAZN or Showtime fights yet and HBO doesn't have boxing anymore, so I don't even know whose around these days .

Comment

The fights have sunk faster than the announcing. Bernstein is a great announcer.

Comment

I agree, announcers in both boxing and MMA over-use all these terms. Usually the hurt-stagger-wobble miraculously doesn’t lead to a KO. Often the buckled fighter actually wins.

After the fight’s over, the boxer says, “No, he hit me with a good shot, but I was fine.” Announcers have NO idea whether a punch that may look devastating actually was. Some guys have very good chins, and are more off-balance, or the legs go briefly but that doesn’t mean they’re in pain or ready to go. A wobble is as good as a stumble.

The old-time announcers like Cosell didn’t generally use hyperbole, and the current good ones today, including Adam Smith and Rawling in England and Bernstein in the US don’t either.

Some fighters are the worst offenders when they get a microphone in front of them. At best, they might say “he’s in trouble” or, Sean O’Grady: “He’s walking in post holes” or Ray Leonard: “He’s on queer street.” Neither imply “he’s hurt” though. Just that a punch caused a lapse in coordination.

Spit-take Max and “Mamma Mia” Mauro are the most distracting guys today. (In MMA it would be D.C. who constantly jumps to the “He’s Hurt!” conclusion, and will gasp “woo!” over every punch. Sometimes he and Rogan sound like they’re at a rock concert: Woo! Woo! Woo!. That ain’t announcing or commentary any jerk in the audience can do that.)

I’d also like to know where “that’s a LEVEL CHANGE” and “he’s on the BACK FOOT” came from. You never hear that from Cosell, Dunphy, Tompkins, Lampley etc. It seems like somebody thought of it recently and now everybody’s saying it. It makes my ears hurt (but they don't wobble).
          Last edited by smeck; 06-22-2019, 10:06 AM. Reason: typo (changed "any" from "and")

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Geez, so are all boxing announcers terrible? Have they always been? I liked me some Cosell, Barry Tompkins and Don Dunphy. But is everyone just terrible now? Or are there any good ones left? I haven't seen any DAZN or Showtime fights yet and HBO doesn't have boxing anymore, so I don't even know whose around these days .
            Lol. My feelings exactly.

Comment

Working...
            X