Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there no fight footage of Harry Greb?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=GhostofDempsey;19882928]
    Originally posted by jack p View Post

Ezzard Charles is to me the greatest LHW of all time. He had a technical style that wasn’t exactly fan friendly, but he could do it all. If you haven’t already, get yourself a copy of Ezzard Charles: A Boxing Life. Great read.
    For me Greb and Robinson are the greatest fighters ever. After that there's maybe 3 or four and Charles is one of those. He got the better of the murderer's row proved he was better than archie moore and still even though he was really a lt heavy managed to win the heavy title, rack up some great wins and still when past it gave marciano all the trouble he could handle. Nobody can doubt charles being one of the greatest boxers of all time. His record speaks for itself.

From 46-51 he went 41-1 beating moore, marshall, bivins, ,maxim, walcott, lesnivich, baksi and joe louis. He dropped a decision to ray which he avenged.

Comment

• Always rated Ez at the tip of the top p4pers in history.

Nice to see you give Comp his deserved due, but a boxing forum is sorta a boxing ring for discussion. I've been at this longer than 12 yrs and don't always agree with his conclusions even as I rate Greb very highly, though one on one at prime LH Ez whoops him.
      - -Having said this, I would add I would favor Greb over Ez at middle in their timelines of development before Charles became more sophFISTacated.

Mind yer manners and you lads will see these fights in Valhalla...

***Edited my own post!

Blaming my iPhone interaction with BS that would sometimes baffle our Creator as well...
      Last edited by QueensburyRules; 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=QueensburyRules;19883912]

- -What grade you Jasksiesan?

Always rated Ez at the tip of the top p4pers in history.

Nice to see you give Comp his deserved due, but a boxing forum is sorta a boxing ring for discussion. I've been at this longer than 12 yrs and don't always agree with his conclusions even as I rate Greb very highly, though one on one at prime LH Ez whoops him.

have to agree with the QueenB on this one. Nobody is above reproach and all opinions are welcome, just argue it transparently and let the chips fall where they may.

On the last bolded point? Maybe but Charles would lose if it was not one on one, that is unless he fought two one armed midgets with no cup... Sorry could not resist

Comment

• [QUOTE=jack p;19882557]
          Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          You and I get along, billeau2. And I'm a huge fan of Dempsey's book.

But Rusty and Queenie don't have the intellectual firepower to hang with Klompton's 12 years of research. They're arguing out of hero worship not out of having pored through countless newspaper articles from the period.

And let's be frank. With those two race seems to be a huge motivator for what opinions they choose to have. I've seen comments about Ezzard Charles being overrated and not really that good for instance. Which is silly enough on its own...yet the same posters will then up the ante on silly by using him as an example of a top win for Marciano.

Ezzard Charles is an All Time Great.
          I think along with Gene Tunney Those two are the greatest Light Heavys of all time. I think Tunney was more perhaps more cerebral but that Charles had greater natural gifts,
          Personally i think any one who thinks Charles is over rated. Does not know Boxing as well as they think they do
          Jack I enjoy your posts and would implore you not to suggest that someone is a racist unless there is proof positive of such an assertion. Live and let live... Everyone approaches the boards with their own personality, and both of these guys have contributed imo some very interesting ideas, Neither of them have ever been racist.

Also any authority should have the self confidance to understand the other opinions that exist in their field. When we just accept that someone is correct and above reproach we leave ourselves open to a lot of problems. I doubt Klompton is so sensative that a difference of opinion would make him leave the forums.

On Charles: presenting a case that he is "overrated" will not hurt Charles. It might inspire better arguments as to what made Charles such an impressive fighter... Fact of the matter is, if you go through threads here and on other sites, charles has never gotten the props that other fighters have. Through the dialectic it would not hurt Charles to address any of these arguments. As Louis Brandeis said 'sunlight is the best disinfectant.'

Comment

• [QUOTE=GhostofDempsey;19882928]

Ezzard Charles is to me the greatest LHW of all time. He had a technical style that wasn’t exactly fan friendly, but he could do it all. If you haven’t already, get yourself a copy of Ezzard Charles: A Boxing Life. Great read.
            I have read the book. I think the tragedy Charles suffered when Baroudi lost his life. It deeply affected Charles. Charles was a sensitive guy. The reason i say this because Charles was an accomplished musician. The best musicians play with a lot of feeling.. So i think this tragedy made Charles a little gun shy. Charles lost some of that killer instinct.
            Which i understand Charles trepidations .. Because Charles talent was so Great. As an example of Charles supreme skill..
            Who is at or near the top of every ones light heavyweight list?? None other then the great Archie Moore. Who was the one fighter Moore could never beat?? Ezzard Charles!!
            Even as a young fighter Charles still managed to beat the great Charles Burley.
            While i do realize Burley was more a middleweight. I believe at the time Charles was assumed by most to be out of his league facing a fighter of Burleys caliber.
            Charles fought in an era of Great fighters. The Murderers Row era. Yet the list of HOFamers who Charles holds victories over reads like a whos who list Of All Time Greats
            Archie Moore, Jimmy Bivins, Lloyd Marshall and Elmer Ray. As well as Joe Louis JJ Walcott Burley Maxim . I mean To me that is Boxing Greatness Ezzard Charles is AN ALL TIME GREAT
            Last edited by jack p; 07-11-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X