No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Michael Spinks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey vs Michael Spinks

Before anyone says 1st round KO, remember it took him 4 rounds to stop the 172 pound Georges Carpentier. And this while Dempsey was 16 pounds heavier. At heavyweight, Spinks would be 200+ pounds and harder hitting and more skilled than Georges Carpentier. If the Spinks who fought Cooney comes into the fight, he'd be 208 pounds vs Dempsey at 188 lbs or so. I'm not saying that Spinks wins, but I doubt it'd be a blow out and he'd make Dempsey work for his money.

That would be a tremendous fight. I don't think Spinks would come in at 200 pounds. Probably around the same weight as Dempsey. I've seen Spinks fight but Dempsey only on a couple of old tapes. Cannot picture Dempsey dominating Spinks. Don't know who would win.

Comment

- -Spinks the Sam height as Ali, and if you've seen pics of Ali and Jack together othe difference is negligible

Tough fight for either that favors Jack in a trilogy. He overcame so much more in his life than Mike who at least had some good tutoring drilled into them

Comment

Carpentier was a mover which is why he went 4 rounds.

Spinks would try to punch with Dempsey more. Which would see him get knocked out at some point. I see a result very similar to the Mike Tyson fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Carpentier was a mover which is why he went 4 rounds.

Spinks would try to punch with Dempsey more. Which would see him get knocked out at some point. I see a result very similar to the Mike Tyson fight.
          Not trying to pick a fight with you but Spinks was smart enough not to go right after Larry Holmes. Don't see him doing something stupid against Dempsey. Spinks was a vastly underrated fighter. Which might sound silly because he is one of the best LH ever. I really don't know who would win but it would be a fascinating matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            Not trying to pick a fight with you but Spinks was smart enough not to go right after Larry Holmes. Don't see him doing something stupid against Dempsey. Spinks was a vastly underrated fighter. Which might sound silly because he is one of the best LH ever. I really don't know who would win but it would be a fascinating matchup.
            No question that Spinks was one of the greatest light heavyweights ever.

But so was Ezzard Charles. And he lost to the relatively crude Marciano at heavyweight .

Comment

. This is a tough one. I don't look at the tyson vs spinks fight as a good reason why Dempsey kills him. Spinks was retired and lured back into the ring on 50 seconds notice for millions. He was supposed to lose. That being said, dempsey might eventually get him, but he eats a lot of leather before hand. For me it's 50 50

Comment

You gotta remember spinks was eating 10 cheeseburgers a day to be over 200. But he still stopped jess willard sized Cooney. Sometimes light heavyweights beat heavyweights. Dempsey on the other hand was fighting for food. But all things equal he has about 15 lbs on Spinks (real lbs).

Comment

I could see Spinks outboxing him, but I could also see Dempsey powering right past him/

Comment

I specialize in mythical matchup theory, lads, and I must admit this is a good one. I think Spinks has enough power to really bother or hurt Jack, and I am sure Jack has enough power to stretch Spinks cold for ten minutes.

Spinks is not a runner. He will find Dempsey with solid shots. Spinks can be a little hard to find, but the way you deal with his semi-stationary defense is to plow right on through it, like Ike with Byrd. Dempsey will plow through the rather conservative-with-motion defense of Spinks and smash him. We have to assume they are both in their primes and in top condition. Those are the only conditions that yield the information you desire.

Assuming he can land his punches, Dempsey hits way too hard for Spinks. Of course Cooney hit too hard for him as well, and got bonked out anyway. I can easily see Jack having more success than the pitiful Cooney at landing his big shots.

I don't care what he weighed, I believe the power of Dempsey went even beyond the power of Cooney's lefhook. And I know Jack was a much better professional than Cooney--better trained, all of it. Jack was more difficult to flummox than Gerry. I see it at about 7-3 odds in Jack's favor. I give Spinks a 30% shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X