Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Age of the Freak Match Here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't there a very punching baseball player by the last name of White?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -What grade you in?

The best run production on a game by game basis wins the series.

Give me your candyboy year in question and tell who were the most valuable players.

I'll crunch the run production % for a smack down!

Stay tuned boys, this is gonna git good!
      Answer a question posed first...before asking some nonsense. Answer my question I will ask it again:

Why is it in baseball that the best teams as judged by season wins...often do not win the world series, or even the pennant? And I know for a fact that it cannot be tied down to run production as a statistic and you either know that as well, or are none too bright...

Heres a clue: Steve Balboni won the world series for the Royals against the CARDS...He was a 200 average fat, slow first baseman.

So answer my question please. Enlighten me. How is is that this could be?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Answer a question posed first...before asking some nonsense. Answer my question I will ask it again:

Why is it in baseball that the best teams as judged by season wins...often do not win the world series, or even the pennant? And I know for a fact that it cannot be tied down to run production as a statistic and you either know that as well, or are none too bright...

Heres a clue: Steve Balboni won the world series for the Royals against the CARDS...He was a 200 average fat, slow first baseman.

So answer my question please. Enlighten me. How is is that this could be?
        - -Iffen you gots any chillin, please tell them to step away from the computer.

You'd be better served arguing a topic you're an expert on, not baseball. Don't know if I can enlighten a mud hen that keeps changing the specifics, aka Balboni has nothing to do with the 60-70s As, but in his only WS appearance that happened to be for the Royals in 85, his Run production % was 0.294 per out made, servicible but nowhere near great.

How did he win the WS? Knocked in the winning run in the last game?

Who was the MVP?

What's your point? The WS is won by the team producing the most runs on a game by game basis, do you deny that?

Dusty Rhodes a part time career player including a WS with Willie Mays, and Dusty was MVP and set the WS RP% record.

Underdog player and teams as in every sport have occasional upsets over favs like Leon over Ali. Don't mean Leon is a better fighter, but it's telling that I have to explain things to you at the 3rd grade level.

Ya Basta!

Comment

- -Iffen you gots any chillin, please tell them to step away from the computer.

You'd be better served arguing a topic you're an expert on, not baseball. Don't know if I can enlighten a mud hen that keeps changing the specifics, aka Balboni has nothing to do with the 60-70s As, but in his only WS appearance that happened to be for the Royals in 85, his Run production % was 0.294 per out made, servicible but nowhere near great.

How did he win the WS? Knocked in the winning run in the last game?

Who was the MVP?

What's your point? The WS is won by the team producing the most runs on a game by game basis, do you deny that?

Dusty Rhodes a part time career player including a WS with Willie Mays, and Dusty was MVP and set the WS RP% record.

Underdog player and teams as in every sport have occasional upsets over favs like Leon over Ali. Don't mean Leon is a better fighter, but it's telling that I have to explain things to you at the 3rd grade level.

Ya Basta!
          Ah my point! Are you listening for a change? Since free agency an interesting stat emerges. Teams that often win the most games, are pretty much 50 50 when entering the playoffs.

this changed from times past when the better team, better because they had won more games, had stronger players as judged by multiple criteria, would generally win the series more often than what is known as an "upset."

When asking how this can happen and looking at certain series we get clues. In the case of the Cards Royals series, the series was won because one player got hot. And, as free agency and other factors create more uniformity, often the predicate for "winning" is when a team can get hot. So in a very real sense it is RANDOM.

Kind of what one would expect with a more mercenary approach to forming teams. Truly, teams buy the talent up and it gets more evenly divided. I stopped watching years ago when I realized that this situation meant that the series did not verge on a better team per se, or more skillful team dynamics (decisions about pitching, etc) but rather...what team managed to go into the series hotter.

Random forces are sometimes at work... We can predict that the more we equalize teams the more random the possible outcomes. is that better for the sport? NO!! We might as well just divide the talent equally by some measure and reassamble it every year. Free agency spelled the death of the uber team.

When a 200 hitting first baseman can win a series for a team, something is wrong. I tried to speak to you like an intelligent human being and will make one final effort:

When the Reds played the Bosox in 77 (I believe it was 77) both teams were very very good. The Red Machine was a little bit better and the series reflected that with the Reds winning the last game with a close score. Both of those teams were built up for years, and developed to that point together. Thats what is missing in baseball to me and that is an opinion.

I well remember the Bosox kicking us Yankees to the curb under Gabe Paul. I remember watching that team peak.
          Last edited by billeau2; 04-24-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Reds over the Red Sox was the 1975 World Series. Also had the famed Carlton Fisk home run. And free agency was good the game overall because players had a choice of where they could play and weren't stuck riding the bench their whole career if they had a superstar dominating their position. They also had no bargaining power with management, so players could be treated however management wanted to because those in charge knew those players couldn't do anything about it. Now they have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              Ah my point! Are you listening for a change? Since free agency an interesting stat emerges. Teams that often win the most games, are pretty much 50 50 when entering the playoffs.

this changed from times past when the better team, better because they had won more games, had stronger players as judged by multiple criteria, would generally win the series more often than what is known as an "upset."

When asking how this can happen and looking at certain series we get clues. In the case of the Cards Royals series, the series was won because one player got hot. And, as free agency and other factors create more uniformity, often the predicate for "winning" is when a team can get hot. So in a very real sense it is RANDOM.

Kind of what one would expect with a more mercenary approach to forming teams. Truly, teams buy the talent up and it gets more evenly divided. I stopped watching years ago when I realized that this situation meant that the series did not verge on a better team per se, or more skillful team dynamics (decisions about pitching, etc) but rather...what team managed to go into the series hotter.

Random forces are sometimes at work... We can predict that the more we equalize teams the more random the possible outcomes. is that better for the sport? NO!! We might as well just divide the talent equally by some measure and reassamble it every year. Free agency spelled the death of the uber team.

When a 200 hitting first baseman can win a series for a team, something is wrong. I tried to speak to you like an intelligent human being and will make one final effort:

When the Reds played the Bosox in 77 (I believe it was 77) both teams were very very good. The Red Machine was a little bit better and the series reflected that with the Reds winning the last game with a close score. Both of those teams were built up for years, and developed to that point together. Thats what is missing in baseball to me and that is an opinion.

I well remember the Bosox kicking us Yankees to the curb under Gabe Paul. I remember watching that team peak.
              - -Is there some kinda point in that random freestyle ramble.

Perhaps you meant to make hay with the playoffs, so I will only point out that playoffs came about to help pay for free agency. Before the best AL and NL teams went straight into the World Series that started with more than the 7 game format they use now.

And the AL AS THE JUNIOR rebel league has had many more of the best run producers than the senior NL league in their history together, but since the 7 game WS format favors the best pitchers condensed in a short span , that may not translate to a significant WS edge.

I'll check it out.

Comment

Perhaps you meant to make hay with the playoffs, so I will only point out that playoffs came about to help pay for free agency. Before the best AL and NL teams went straight into the World Series that started with more than the 7 game format they use now.

And the AL AS THE JUNIOR rebel league has had many more of the best run producers than the senior NL league in their history together, but since the 7 game WS format favors the best pitchers condensed in a short span , that may not translate to a significant WS edge.

I'll check it out.
                The bolded. excellent point... More playoffs more revenue... And one way to do that is to create a situation that usually persists in sports like woman's MMA... You really cannot predict with certainty at any point a winner, which to some shows a lack of excellent teams. More like mercenary teams put together year by year. No loyalty, no knowing the players...We used to wait outside the players gate and it was an honor to get an autograph, say hi and be responded too...we knew the players! Billy Martin would stay extra to sign for the kids. never forgot that

Good point with the pitchers... I agree with that as well. Ive seen times where either league had stronger teams but in general the AL has had more interesting teams and stronger teams. Finesse pitchers... Maybe because of the different strike zone? You can't just blow below the knees with a fastball lol... the national league strategy back in the day at least.
                Last edited by billeau2; 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I'll check it out.
                  Let me also let you know why I focus on the playoffs: The real schemes are to win...presumably. Whats Interesting to me is that theoretically a very smart manager, who understands the need to streak at the right moment, may be able to do wonders. Good managers seem to understand this and, having lived in Baltimore for many years one can clearly see what happens when management is the worse...the Orioles have always been daft.

Comment

- -OK, AL advantage 66-48 WS.

Interleague totals AL 2894-2574

Team WS ranks:

1 AL yanks 27
                    2 NLcards 11
                    3 AL Bsox 9
                    4 NL giants 8

Thru 2017.

Pretty much makes my point that offensively, run production matters first and as mentioned for whatever the reasons over time, the AL has possessed it in spades over the NL.

I would also note the Yanks historically have by far been the wealthiest team with the highest payroll, best players, and best managers.

$$$$$$$ matters!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      Reds over the Red Sox was the 1975 World Series. Also had the famed Carlton Fisk home run. And free agency was good the game overall because players had a choice of where they could play and weren't stuck riding the bench their whole career if they had a superstar dominating their position. They also had no bargaining power with management, so players could be treated however management wanted to because those in charge knew those players couldn't do anything about it. Now they have a choice.
                      I believe it was well intentioned, and perhaps even necessary... BUt just like what happened with Unions they went too far. Thats the problem with a lot of these enedevours. They lost the concept of the team somewhere imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X