Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have to bet your life on one fighter to beat Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one was interested in Floyd vs. Margarito. Floyd said he would take it only if it guarantees fights with Hatton and Cotto, and eventually De La Hoya, and Arum said nope.

Also, HBO had stated clearly that they were not interested in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Don't think so. Can't recall.

I just know that 2006 was when they were lined up to fight. Floyd was offered 8 million dollars and he turned it down.
      Likely because Goossen offered the same for Baldomir

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Likely because Goossen offered the same for Baldomir
        Little less for Baldomir I believe.

Plus, he should have taken it instead of Judah when it was offered.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
          No one was interested in Floyd vs. Margarito. Floyd said he would take it only if it guarantees fights with Hatton and Cotto, and eventually De La Hoya, and Arum said nope.

Also, HBO had stated clearly that they were not interested in that fight.
          There certainly was interest in 2006.

Short lived but there was interest absolutely.

I very much doubt HBO stated that, they had put a lot of time and effort into both Floyd and Margarito at that point.
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-23-2019, 12:30 AM.

Comment

There certainly was interest in 2006.

Short lived but there was interest absolutely.

I very much doubt HBO stated that, they had put a lot of time and effort into both Floyd and Margarito at that point.
            I don't know, bro. Not saying that you're wrong, but the article that I read said pretty much the exact opposite.

In particular, it left welterweight titlist Margarito, who has been surprisingly overlooked by HBO and Showtime executives, in need of a fight date.

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/co...dan&id=2228717
            Remember, HBO was one of the entity that helped Mayweather to try to ditch Arum. Obviously that means they weren't interested in Margarito vs. Floyd. They probably bought into Floyd's plan to go after Cotto, Hatton, De La Hoya, etc. That wasn't going to happen (at the right price...or at all in the case of De La Hoya) with Top Rank.

Comment

Hammy right again.

Comment

I don't know, bro. Not saying that you're wrong, but the article that I read said pretty much the exact opposite.

Remember, HBO was one of the entity that helped Mayweather to try to ditch Arum. Obviously that means they weren't interested in Margarito vs. Floyd. They probably bought into Floyd's plan to go after Cotto, Hatton, De La Hoya, etc. That wasn't going to happen (at the right price...or at all in the case of De La Hoya) with Top Rank.
                That's a good point.

But, the Cotto, Hatton and Oscar deal was post Baldomir. Margarito was offered as a 1 fight deal pre Baldomir.

And 8 million at the time was massive money for Floyd.

That fight had been building for a few years.

Comment

That's a good point.

But, the Cotto, Hatton and Oscar deal was post Baldomir. Margarito was offered as a 1 fight deal pre Baldomir.

And 8 million at the time was massive money for Floyd.

That fight had been building for a few years.

Right. Remember, Mayweather fought for...Goosen I think...when he took on Sharmba Mitchell. The next fight was for Arum vs. Judah, and it was at that point where he would be able to buy out his contract because there was a deadline for doing so.

It was at that point that Floyd was considering extending with Top Rank and agreeing to fight Margarito for 8 million if they would also guarantee 10 mill for Cotto, Hatton, and 20 mill for De la Hoya. Arum said it wasn't going to happen, so Floyd bought out his contract, fought Baldomir, and then fought De La Hoya next.

Obviously buying out his contract was the smartest move in his entire career...well, at least in my opinion.

Seems to me that Margarito wasn't really pushed as the opponent until after the Judah fight, and that was when Floyd was able to leave Top Rank for good to make bigger fights.

Comment

--- Bottomline TUE may only read at 7th grade Level, but between sr, rog and his candy self, they knew Marg was a bigger, stronger destroyer and moved around him.

Comment

Right. Remember, Mayweather fought for...Goosen I think...when he took on Sharmba Mitchell. The next fight was for Arum vs. Judah, and it was at that point where he would be able to buy out his contract because there was a deadline for doing so.

It was at that point that Floyd was considering extending with Top Rank and agreeing to fight Margarito for 8 million if they would also guarantee 10 mill for Cotto, Hatton, and 20 mill for De la Hoya. Arum said it wasn't going to happen, so Floyd bought out his contract, fought Baldomir, and then fought De La Hoya next.

Obviously buying out his contract was the smartest move in his entire career...well, at least in my opinion.

Seems to me that Margarito wasn't really pushed as the opponent until after the Judah fight, and that was when Floyd was able to leave Top Rank for good to make bigger fights.
                      You make good points.

It was an option when he fought Judah but you're right it wasn't as pushed as it was after Judah.

I still would have liked to see it but I'm not overly fussed it didn't come off.

Comment

Working...
                      X