Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did You Score It RBR: Muhammad Ali vs Earnie Shavers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have to win every internet debate.

It's in real life we should try to get a few victories. Hard as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
      Buddy. I don’t know how old you are nor do I know your background...however either a decision was controversial or it was not. A controversial decision was Ali-Norton 3. A controversial decision was Pintor-Zarate. A recent controversial decision was GGG - Conelo 2. In ALL cases there were a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER of experts at ringside who called the fight for the loser. Ali-Shavers was not considered a controversial decision. PERIOD. Obviously you did not live through the era. I DID. So I strongly suggest you listen to facts rather than try to make them up. Also a close fight does not mean it was controversial! YOUR contention was that the fights decision in favor of Ali was controversial NOT that it was close. A 9-6 decision is a close fight. No one disputes this. However please don’t make up history in your head. Ali’s win over Shavers was not considered controversial. Take it to the bank from someone who was there.
      Who gives a f#ck you were at the event or had ringside seats next to Ali's brother or w/e? That doesn't make your opinion anymore valid than any other fans opinion.

And I've shown you plenty of people who say they had the fight for Shavers, but you keep saying none of their opinions are valid just yours cuz you got a ticket stub or w/e.

The whole reason I did a RBR of this fight is cuz I've heard fans through the years say that this was a fight they coulda seen go Shavers way &/or they had going Shavers way. You are living in a bubble brother.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        In any championship decision fight fans of the loser boo. Are you serious?

I lived through that era and that fight. The result was not controversial.

Again....if it were controversial there would be many scorecards from that time that show Shavers winning. Please show these scorecards. Otherwise you have no ground to stand on.

As an example Ali-Norton was a controversial decision. This is exemplified by the many ringside scorecards that had Kenny winning.
        I never lived through that time. But I've never read anything about a controversy for that fight. Shavers originally didn't like it but later admitted he lost clearly.

And you're right, of course fans boo but having watched the fight recording, can't really hear anything.

Anyway, a syou say, non controversial fight for Ali.

Comment

Quick point, i watched the fight on live TV. Regardless of the scoring, keep in mind that Don King had refused Shavers to hit Ali with anything serious. King was still able to make a lot of money out of Ali, so he told Shavers that after Ali was done his successor Larry Holmes would grant him another title fight.
          King told Shavers to take it easy on Ali and that The Acorn could hit Holmes with all he got and as long as he wanted. And some people might remember those two battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinbad View Post
            Quick point, i watched the fight on live TV. Regardless of the scoring, keep in mind that Don King had refused Shavers to hit Ali with anything serious. King was still able to make a lot of money out of Ali, so he told Shavers that after Ali was done his successor Larry Holmes would grant him another title fight.
            King told Shavers to take it easy on Ali and that The Acorn could hit Holmes with all he got and as long as he wanted. And some people might remember those two battles.
            Did Shavers reveal all of that in an interview?

Comment

I can't recall if he ever publicly admitted it. I heard the story from one of the Holmes longtime camp members.
              But even if Shavers wanted to tell the truth to boxing fans, King would've most certainly ordered him not to.

Comment

I remember Earnie saying, some months after the fight, he had been overtrained for this event.
                In a way, he admitted that he perhaps lost the fight and that he perhaps could have done better.

I can very well believe Earnie's words - that he had been training too hard. After all, this was THE big opportunity in his career ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sinbad View Post
                  Absolute trash.

Source??

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Absolute trash.

Source??
                    I want the source, too.

Comment

I know you guys want the source but i promised him in Atlantic City -88 that i would never release his name.
                      You can think what you want about my cinderella theory, but prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X