No announcement yet.

Fantasy fights in the history section?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Ivan Drago would get killed if Bruce insisted on VADA testing with no cutoff dates.
    Yeah I'd have Bruce by KO 1 then, since he claimed to be able to beat anyone within a minute. Might last a lot longer though without kicks being allowed, so maybe KO 6 haha.

Comment

They just seem redundant and lead to more bickering about things that cannot be proved no matter what what opinion either side has.

Comment

--- Out of respect for the general genteel nature of the forum, I'm gonna post perhaps the two most ultimate fantasy fights proposed in the 60s leading to the 70s here instead of their own thread.

The first is one of the top 3 natural athletes ever to grace this world, Wilt Chamberlain whose intelligence and judgement easily matched his formidable natural attributes. Fight was first proposed and to be announced on ABC sports by Howie Cosell with Wilt and Ali's appearance in 1967.

This a fight poster printed up for the 2nd or 3rd fight, none of which never came off primarily because Ali backers couldn't guarantee Wilt's basketball salary to go into training. Cus D'Amato first proposed the fight to Wilt and did some preliminary training to great satisfaction as to Wilt's natural attributes for the fight biz that set the ball to rolling.

Then the other big one proposed by everyone but Ali and Bruce Lee, however Lee avidly followed Ali's career though I've seen no evidence their paths ever crossed. Lee's time was mostly spent in China during these years, but this story is pertinent to the mentality of Lee:

""Another time Yeung, aka (Bolo) went to see Bruce at Golden Harvest Studios. Bruce was screening a Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) documentary. Ali was world heavyweight champion at the time and Bruce saw him as the greatest fighter of them all. The documentary showed Ali in several of his fights. Bruce set up a wide full-length mirror to reflect Ali’s image from the screen. Bruce was looking into the mirror, moving along with Ali.

Bruce’s right hand followed Ali’s right hand, Ali’s left foot followed Bruce’s left foot. Bruce was fighting in Ali’s shoes. “Everybody says I must fight Ali some day.” Bruce said, “I’m studying every move he makes. I’m getting to know how he thinks and moves.""

This looks photoshopped but serves as a nice appetizer:

Obviously Ali wins the boxing match, but he didn't fare very well against martial artist Antonio Inoki, admitted to a Tokyo hospital in critical condition for several days that doubtless played a role in the horrid performances for rest of his career. Also manhandled terribly by 400 lb Gorilla Monsoon that I'm sure he wouldn't have attempted had he known.
        Last edited by QueensburyRules; 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          --- Out of respect for the general genteel nature of the forum, I'm gonna post perhaps the two most ultimate fantasy fights proposed in the 60s leading to the 70s here instead of their own thread.

The first is one of the top 3 natural athletes ever to grace this world, Wilt Chamberlain whose intelligence and judgement easily matched his formidable natural attributes. Fight was first proposed and to be announced on ABC sports by Howie Cosell with Wilt and Ali's appearance in 1967.

This a fight poster printed up for the 2nd or 3rd fight, none of which never came off primarily because Ali backers couldn't guarantee Wilt's basketball salary to go into training. Cus D'Amato first proposed the fight to Wilt and did some preliminary training to great satisfaction as to Wilt's natural attributes for the fight biz that set the ball to rolling.

Then the other big one proposed by everyone but Ali and Bruce Lee, however Lee avidly followed Ali's career though I've seen no evidence their paths ever crossed. Lee's time was mostly spent in China during these years, but this story is pertinent to the mentality of Lee:

""Another time Yeung, aka (Bolo) went to see Bruce at Golden Harvest Studios. Bruce was screening a Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) documentary. Ali was world heavyweight champion at the time and Bruce saw him as the greatest fighter of them all. The documentary showed Ali in several of his fights. Bruce set up a wide full-length mirror to reflect Ali’s image from the screen. Bruce was looking into the mirror, moving along with Ali.

Bruce’s right hand followed Ali’s right hand, Ali’s left foot followed Bruce’s left foot. Bruce was fighting in Ali’s shoes. “Everybody says I must fight Ali some day.” Bruce said, “I’m studying every move he makes. I’m getting to know how he thinks and moves.""

Obviously Ali wins the boxing match, but he didn't fare very well against martial artist Antonio Inoki, admitted to a Tokyo hospital in critical condition for several days that doubtless played a role in the horrid performances for rest of his career. Also manhandled terribly by 400 lb Gorilla Monsoon that I'm sure he wouldn't have attempted had he known.
          I can hardly believe if the regulars here would like those two fantasy matchups in this section.

Comment

We have a fantasy section why have two?
            The History section is about boxers the fantasy side is for

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

The only thing you got correct about Chamberlain was that he was smart, very smart. - Wilt was running a scam on the basketball owners and Ali was his roost. Chamberlain never intended to fight Ali nor did he ever intend to play major league baseball (which he also supposedly looked into) Wilt had to negotiate his basketball salaries without the aid of free-agency - every time his contract came up he would make noise about leaving basketball and wait for the league/owner to throw more money at him to stay.

I am not saying Chamberlain was scared of Ali, or that he was ducking Ali, or any of that crap, I am saying Chamberlain was smart and he knew how to leverage the owners; but he never intended to fight Ali.

At one point Astrodome Promotions offered Chamberlain a $500,000 guarantee, which would have covered his basketball salary for that year. Chamberlain had no intention of taking the fight so he countered back that he wanted the guarantee to be 'tax free' which of course at the time would have driven the promoters cost up another 75%, and to no one's surprise the deal fell threw, again.

After a while even the newspapers stopped taking Chamberlain's bait.

Comment

--- the Howie abc video is the first public introduction of the fight, and Ali clearly refuses to sign the contract as Wilt pulls out the pen.

Cus who had been training Wilt famously made a doc to financially assist Ali during his ban before he fought Frazier in 1971.

Little ol' Cus explains how Frazier beats him and then lines up for a demo where in a flash Cus cuts him up.

Wilt was quite accomplished athletically having already beat nfl running back jim brown in a foot race and then grabbing him to turn upside down to shake his pocket change loose.

But, yeah, he wanted money and eventually had his way with the Lakers just like he would've done to Ali.

Ali's mgr Herbert made those decisions back then, so I ain't fully blaming Ali, just the way it was...

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  The only thing you got correct about Chamberlain was that he was smart, very smart. - Wilt was running a scam on the basketball owners and Ali was his roost. Chamberlain never intended to fight Ali nor did he ever intend to play major league baseball (which he also supposedly looked into) Wilt had to negotiate his basketball salaries without the aid of free-agency - every time his contract came up he would make noise about leaving basketball and wait for the league/owner to throw more money at him to stay.

I am not saying Chamberlain was scared of Ali, or that he was ducking Ali, or any of that crap, I am saying Chamberlain was smart and he knew how to leverage the owners; but he never intended to fight Ali.

At one point Astrodome Promotions offered Chamberlain a $500,000 guarantee, which would have covered his basketball salary for that year. Chamberlain had no intention of taking the fight so he countered back that he wanted the guarantee to be 'tax free' which of course at the time would have driven the promoters cost up another 75%, and to no one's surprise the deal fell threw, again.

After a while even the newspapers stopped taking Chamberlain's bait.

Yes, heavy bait from him with no intention of action.

Comment

--- Cus didn't train fakes.

Wilt was the real deal, but like Wills/Dempsey the suits couldn't come up with the financing and then Wilt retired with a bad knee...the way it was...

Comment

Is there a section for 'celebrity fights' ? - I would like to have a serious discussion regarding Tonya Harding vs. Paula Jones.

Comment

Working...
                      X