No announcement yet.

Say What Ever You Will About James Toney The Man

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archie_Leach View Post
    That's an awfully long winded way of admitting defeat....

Did you just realize mentioning the amount of amateur fights Toney has is meaningless? lol

Your like the 5th guy to prove my point.
    Nobody is allowed to be a Toney critic unless they want to be labeled a biased troll and a racist....

Where was I being biased anyway?

When I said he beat Sosa?
    Or was It when I said I believe him about being weight drained against Roy?
    Keep trolling along, won't be long before you are exposed and shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Speaking of struggling with weight and stamina, I seem to remember watching a video of an early James Toney fight where he got a long rest period for some reason, which he really needed as he seemed to run out of gas early in that fight. I believe this was at 160 and was on ABC and he was lucky to win it with the extra rest. You or anyone here remember Toney's opponent for that fight.

HOF, not ATG I agree, but I still enjoyed at least some of his fights. I believe the first one I saw was on HBO where he had a nasty gash on his eyebrow and had to take out his opponent before the ref could stop the fight because of the cut and he did it. Who was that, against Williams?

It's crazy to think that both Roy Jones and James Toney have only finally retired within the last year, 2018 (Jones) and 2017 (Toney).
      Great post!......Rockin'

Comment

Was there ever a fight Toney was in shape for?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          You gotta give him the Jirov fight at least. I was there that night and he looked terrific. His best performance in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            You gotta give him the Jirov fight at least. I was there that night and he looked terrific. His best performance in my opinion.
            I thought it was a very competitive fight but yeah he won the fight for sure.

Was he in shape for that fight then? As opposed to all of his others?

Comment

I thought it was a very competitive fight but yeah he won the fight for sure.

Was he in shape for that fight then? As opposed to all of his others?
              I thought Jirov was slightly ahead going into the last round watching it live. Watching it on tape it was a little more clear for Toney, but not as wide as the judges scores in my opinion.

I'm not going to get in a debate about this with you. I respect your opinions even if I don't always agree. I'm not going to change your mind anymore than anyone is going to change mine concerning VK resume. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I thought Jirov was slightly ahead going into the last round watching it live. Watching it on tape it was a little more clear for Toney, but not as wide as the judges scores in my opinion.

I'm not going to get in a debate about this with you. I respect your opinions even if I don't always agree. I'm not going to change your mind anymore than anyone is going to change mine concerning VK resume. It is what it is.
                Well I agree that Toney won the fight anyway. I don't think that fight was an either way fight like most of the other times he fought a top level guy. But I do think it was competitve and close.

That's fine but I'm more than happy to debate it. As long as someone doesn't use fantasy and excuses then there's a debate to be had.

The Jirov fight was a good win.

Comment

If James was not in shape than he never would have survived with the fighters that he fought. He wasn't perfect in those fights but don't imply that James was never in shape. James trained his ass off.. No joke intended.…...Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    If James was not in shape than he never would have survived with the fighters that he fought. He wasn't perfect in those fights but don't imply that James was never in shape. James trained his ass off.. No joke intended.…...Rockin'
                    So how come every time he struggled and lost it's blamed on him not being in shape?

Like the numerous times in this thread for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      So how come every time he struggled and lost it's blamed on him not being in shape?

Like the numerous times in this thread for example.
                      It was not that he wasn't in shape, it was the quick weight lose that bogged him down. In this thread 'know littles' blamed him for showing up to fight out of shape. Nothing could be further from the truth..….Rockin'
                      Last edited by Rockin'; 06-12-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X