Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experts say Louis would've beaten Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--- Put it this way mike, you show a typical bias against sluggers when they can't ko someone.

Yet I doubt you'd criticize some popcorn fisted fancy dan for knocking out a fighter. What sayeth you?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      In fact, stinking has become the new American mantra which is what Americans no longer dominate boxing at any level.
      By my count America has 12 current world champions right now. No other country has more.

And 4 of BoxingScene's Top 10 P4P fighters are American. Again, no other country has more.

Comment

How you can deduce that I show a typical bias against sluggers, based on my opinion of the outcome of the Louis vs. Tyson fight, is beyond me? I was simply attempting to demonstrate that Iron Mike was not the irresistible force that some of his fans claim he was.

In any event, most of the fighters whom I admire would be considered sluggers, i.e., their KO rate is typically 60% or more. BTW, I am a fan of both Mike Tyson & Joe Louis.
        Last edited by mikeg1224; 06-02-2018, 05:14 AM.

Comment

--- That's fine Mike, nor was Joe the irresistible force.

He had plenty of decisions that your ancestors criticized for not KOing. He got pasted by a fading Schmeling and put extensively on the back foot by southpaw Tommy Farr and knocked down and hurt plenty.

Tyson was the greatest phenom in boxing the worl has ever seen. His HOF team of Cus, Jacobs, and Cayton is unmatched in boxing history.

He was just a typical ghetto terribly abused kid birthed in the sewers of NYC made good beyond even Cus' wildest dream and only fell apart once they were gone. No fighter in boxing history was so well studied either.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            By my count America has 12 current world champions right now. No other country has more.

And 4 of BoxingScene's Top 10 P4P fighters are American. Again, no other country has more.
            --- Used to be 90% dominance, so you say 40% P4P by an American site is dominance?

I got just the property for sale to you in Houston!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1224 View Post
              I am certainly not a boxing expert but rather an avid boxing fan.

If you examine Tyson's record, you will notice that he KOed all of his first string of opponents but they were all tomato cans.
              The first fighter Mike faced who wasn't was James Tillis and Mike won a UD. Then likewise against Mitch "Blood" Green, Mike earned another UD. Similarly, UDs against a reluctant-to-engage James "Bonecrusher" Smith and Tony Tucker.

So, the point I'm trying to make is that Iron Mike was not this irresistible force who devastated every opponent, as some of his ardent fans are wont to believe.

IMO, Joe Louis hit harder than Donovan "Razor" Ruddock who unloaded a number of bombs on Iron Mike. When Joe hit someone, as Ray Arcel commented, they stayed hit. Therefore, I think Joe takes Mike's measure within 10 Rounds.
              Much like in the Foreman thread, I see people giving Louis chances because of fighters who gave them trouble even though Louis fought nothing like them and had different attributes.

He fought nothing like Tillis or Ruddock and wasn't built anything like them. And I'm no Tyson fanboy, I have argued about him losing to many in hypothetical matchups.

You either beat him by being a tall rangy, fast fighter who can pepper him on the outside and smother him on the inside(Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield) or a powerful, iron chinned puncher who can back Tyson up and again bully him on the inside(Foreman, again Holyfield minus the punching power) or an anomaly like Vitali Klitschko.

Most important is to smother Mike in the clinch, frustrate him and make him lose heart there.

Louis doesn't have their styles or attributes. He's vulnerable, lacks the footspeed and doesn't have the size and strength to impose his will on Mike on the inside and would be in Mike's range too much. It would be a hell of a short fight but Louis is not out-punching prime Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                --- Used to be 90% dominance, so you say 40% P4P by an American site is dominance?

I got just the property for sale to you in Houston!
                I say 12 world champions and being the country with the most fighters on the P4P list shows that we are still dominant.

It might not be the 90% complete and total stranglehold that we have had on the sport in the past. But we are still on top.

Comment

If Louis makes it past the 5th round he wins the fight. He has to survive the early onslaught and not get caught on the chin.

As for the rest of those predictions I think Tyson beats Frazier, Rocky, Tunney, Dempsey and Ali. He loses to Liston, Foreman, and possibly Louis and prime Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    If Louis makes it past the 5th round he wins the fight. He has to survive the early onslaught and not get caught on the chin.

As for the rest of those predictions I think Tyson beats Frazier, Rocky, Tunney, Dempsey and Ali. He loses to Liston, Foreman, and possibly Louis and prime Holmes.
                    Beats Ali but loses to Holmes who was an inferior version of Ali? No offense I just don't see the logic in that.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                      Beats Ali but loses to Holmes who was an inferior version of Ali? No offense I just don't see the logic in that.
                      Holmes was a different fighter. Great jab and better defense. Ali fought with hands at his sides and moved straight backwards. He was open to left hooks. Tyson was a faster and stronger version of Frazier.

Comment

Working...
                      X