Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experts say Louis would've beaten Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s a very interesting matchup because Louis did have a very sneaky yet strong left jab, could Tyson slip the jab with that side to side movement & and fire the strait right hand over the top, remember folks joe sometimes would bring that left jab back slow and low, Watch the First Fight with Maxie. I think a young Tyson that beat Trevor Burbick
    Knocks Joe Louis out, The Joe Louis that knocked Maxie out in 1 round in there rematch beats Tyson up, what that said I would make Joe Louis a slight favorite in the fight and win Via Dec 9-6

Comment

People forget just how good the the pre Don King Tyson was. Incredible power and speed with very good head movement on the defensive side. I mean the guy knocked out Larry Holmes.Sure, it was a past his prime Holmes but nobody else ever dominated and hurt Larry that way.My opinion is that if Tyson puts Joe down which is highly likely,he finishes him. IMO Tyson was bigger,faster,more ferocious and much better than almost all of Louis championship challengers.Tyson was a finisher. Not trying to take anything away from Louis who was an incredible fighter.Tyson just would have been a bad match up for Joe in my opinion.

Comment

I know one thing .....

NEVER question anyone labeling themselves as an EXPERT in this section !

Comment

Much like I said in the Louis vs Foreman thread, Louis is too vulnerable and doesn't have the right style to win this matchup. He'd be in Tyson's range too much, he doesn't have enough foot speed to deal with Tyson's speed, angles and combinations and is hittable, on account of all the knockdowns he suffered in his prime against inferior punchers compared to Tyson.

I don't know why people keep pitting Louis in these fantasy matchups he's unlikely to win. His greatness never relied on head to head matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Anyway the article can be read? Too blurry.
            The article is fine. You have blurry brain.

Comment

IMO a young Tyson would be the most dangerous opponent for Louis. It's not just that Tyson hit hard, but that combined with his defense, speed and accuracy. With slower hard punchers like Shavers, Lyle or even Liston and Foreman, Louis could beat them to the punch and pull a counter punching extravaganza on them. With Tyson, his speed and accuracy could nullify that ..

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                It’s a very interesting matchup because Louis did have a very sneaky yet strong left jab, could Tyson slip the jab with that side to side movement & and fire the strait right hand over the top, remember folks joe sometimes would bring that left jab back slow and low, Watch the First Fight with Maxie. I think a young Tyson that beat Trevor Burbick
                Knocks Joe Louis out, The Joe Louis that knocked Maxie out in 1 round in there rematch beats Tyson up, what that said I would make Joe Louis a slight favorite in the fight and win Via Dec 9-6
                I think it'd be fair to say Louis would beat Berbick and probably just as emphatically as Tyson, it just may take a round or 2 longer.

Comment

--- nobody had a more destructive perfect record than Tyson before King, Givens, and his psych sedatives left him a carcass of a fighter.

Only guys I'd give a chance would be the Ks in their big runs with their stylistic big man methology. Lewis never showed that level of consistency and was busy with 3 rounders when Tyson peaked.

GREAT SHOT OF DEMPSEY, mikes hero.

Comment

I am certainly not a boxing expert but rather an avid boxing fan.

If you examine Tyson's record, you will notice that he KOed all of his first string of opponents but they were all tomato cans.
                    The first fighter Mike faced who wasn't was James Tillis and Mike won a UD. Then likewise against Mitch "Blood" Green, Mike earned another UD. Similarly, UDs against a reluctant-to-engage James "Bonecrusher" Smith and Tony Tucker.

So, the point I'm trying to make is that Iron Mike was not this irresistible force who devastated every opponent, as some of his ardent fans are wont to believe.

IMO, Joe Louis hit harder than Donovan "Razor" Ruddock who unloaded a number of bombs on Iron Mike. When Joe hit someone, as Ray Arcel commented, they stayed hit. Therefore, I think Joe takes Mike's measure within 10 Rounds.

Comment

--- Very logically derived mike, save for the lack of context.

Tyson was 19 when he faced a still revelent contender Tillis long in the mix of future prospective contenders.

Can you name a single 19 yr old heavy contender facing a quality top 20 contender like that.

And well documented that any fighter with skills can stink up the ring with extreme defense to make a slugger look bad.

In fact, stinking has become the new American mantra which is what Americans no longer dominate boxing at any level.

Comment

Working...
                      X