Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did WBC reduce title fights to 12 rounds ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
    Wasn't it Gordon's work which exposed The Ring rating scandal?

It had a devastating impact on professional boxing (not Gordon's fault, he did the right thing).

Its long tradition of lineal champions came to an end, as the alphabet **** orgs grabbed the opportunity to take charge and spread their corrupted wills.
    I believe so.
    That was before Randy Gordon became the head editor of The Ring.

Comment

Just so there is no misunderstanding. Malcolm ‘Flash’ Gordon revealed that a guy named John Ort, who was responsible for The Ring magazine’s ratings in 1977 (the most trusted at the time – after all, The Ring had invented the boxing ratings back in 1925), had been tampering with it before a nationalized TV-tournament on ABC.

When ABC learned that Ort was a charlatan, the TV-company threw him and The Ring out of the tournament. Instead, ABC invited the WBC to the party, a horrendous mistake as WBC never had any intention to leave it. Today, WBC and the other boxing orgs have glued their poisioning definition of ‘fair play’ to the sport of boxing.

Two men, John Ort (to blame) and Flash Gordon (not to blame), put boxing in the situation it is in today – i.e. it has to live with some 60 ‘world’ champions, although there are only 17 weight classes.
      No other sport accepts multiple world champions. Pro-boxing does. And that’s why its reputation has been damaged and devaluated.
      Last edited by Ben Bolt; 05-07-2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        Just so there is no misunderstanding. Malcolm ‘Flash’ Gordon revealed that a guy named John Ort, who was responsible for The Ring magazine’s ratings in 1977 (the most trusted at the time – after all, The Ring had invented the boxing ratings back in 1925), had been tampering with it before a nationalized TV-tournament on ABC.

When ABC learned that Ort was a charlatan, the TV-company threw him and The Ring out of the tournament. Instead, ABC invited the WBC to the party, a horrendous mistake as WBC never had any intention to leave it. Today, WBC and the other boxing orgs have glued their poisioning definition of ‘fair play’ to the sport of boxing.

Two men, John Ort (to blame) and Flash Gordon (not to blame), put boxing in the situation it is in today – i.e. it has to live with some 60 ‘world’ champions, although there are only 17 weight classes.
        No other sport accepts multiple world champions. Pro-boxing does. And that’s why its reputation has been damaged and devaluated.
        I know for a fact back in the early 80's , Jose Sulaiman started taking grease money for rankings .
        The WBC convention was a good event to go to for managers. They went to talk to Jose and got their rankings and some even became mandatory challengers.

Comment

When they took away those three rounds they destroyed the balance between a boxer and a great puncher. Punchers need those championship rounds, its too easy for the boxer puncher to just stay away for 12 rounds. It was a horrible thing to do to the sport. And yes, look at history and we can see how many fine punchers would not have been able to win bouts.

The championship rounds were a test of a fighter's desire and will they destroyed a large part of the game taking those rounds away.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            When they took away those three rounds they destroyed the balance between a boxer and a great puncher. Punchers need those championship rounds, its too easy for the boxer puncher to just stay away for 12 rounds. It was a horrible thing to do to the sport. And yes, look at history and we can see how many fine punchers would not have been able to win bouts.

The championship rounds were a test of a fighter's desire and will they destroyed a large part of the game taking those rounds away.
            Yup.
            Just look at the last 15 rounder under WBC.
            Chacon would have lost to Bazooka Limon .
            Limon might have not KO'd Navarrete in the 12th if Navarrete ran the 12th round out.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
              Yup.
              Just look at the last 15 rounder under WBC.
              Chacon would have lost to Bazooka Limon .
              Limon might have not KO'd Navarrete in the 12th if Navarrete ran the 12th round out.
              Very solid points.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Very solid points.
                And the last 15-rounder under IBF.
                Maromero Paez knocks down Calvin Grove in the 15th and last round and wins a close D.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
                  And the last 15-rounder under IBF.
                  Maromero Paez knocks down Calvin Grove in the 15th and last round and wins a close D.
                  I forget, the last 15 rounder in general was a heavyweight bout?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    I forget, the last 15 rounder in general was a heavyweight bout?
                    It was from that stupid unknown WBU.

Even Tommy Hearns won a cruiser belt there.

Interestingly enough, Joe Louis had the last scheduled 20-rounder. But, he KO'd Abe Simon in the 13th.

Comment

I heard it made fights more TV friendly but who knows? I wish they hadn't. 15 rounders were much better and plus it was the measuring stick. How many guys have been champions since who can't even go 15?

Comment

Working...
                      X