Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Jack Johnson Get a Pass on Opposition while Marciano Does Not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
    Of course, and that's why it's so weird that the dude is saying if Dempsey had used the term, he would be considered a racist.
    Exactly! Everyone was saying negro in those days, guess why? Most every white person was a racist!!

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
    ??? Are you now saying that Dempsey is racist, Mojo?
    You're nitpicking. I can't believe I have to be this specific. When people use negro as their normal term for a black person then they were clearly racist. When they say colored 99% of the time and probably slip at the tongue and say negro once (while literally saying colored about 5 seconds prior) then they probably aren't racist. I say probably because I'm only 99% certain Dempsey wasn't racist. Only Dempsey himself could be 100% certain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      1.He literally says right in the article YOU posted that his management made him do it.
      It never said he couldn't have taken the challenge. Quite the opposite. Seems he's saying that if it were a white guy...ANY white guy, he would have taken it.

“Ill fight any white man they put on,” he growled huskily, “but I didn‟t agree to fight a colored boy.”
      What was Kearns going to do, throw him in jail? Sue him on breach of contract? Makes no sense.

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      2. How do you know what Kearns was thinking? Were you there? Did you talk to Kearns? You have no idea what it would have taken for him to let Dempsey fight Jeanette.
      Being that Dempsey said he would fight ANY white fighter, seems the path was clear for a substitution. That's obvious.

3. The Joe Jeanette that fought Johnson was hardly even a decent boxer. He had a 50/50 resume for christs sake! You're making a false equivalency.
      Again, Dempsey stated clearly that he would have fought ANY white man. It's very clear. Dempsy ducked Jeannette.

When he fought Jack Johnson, Jeannette was coming off of a win over Sam Langford, another guy that Dempsey ducked.

4. Jack Johnson never fought Harry Greb though so that means he ducked him right? Right. Jack Johnson never fought Gene Tunney so he ducked him right? Right. Jack Johnson never fought Jack Dempsey so he ducked him right? Right. Jack Johnson never fought Bill Brennan so he ducked him right? Right. Jack Johnson never fought Harry Wills so he ducked him right? Right.
      Sure, have at it. Frankly I'm tired of this convo and I don't care to look into it. Doesn't change the fact that about what I said that sparked this thread to be changed into a completely different subject: Joe Jeannette ran Dempsey out of NY. lol

5. 20/21 year old Dempsey refused to fight a full blown prime heavyweight killer in Langford with 100+ fights under his belt. Johnson fought a still learning MIDDLEWEIGHT Langford only one time. Wouldn't go near him again.
      Langford was 33 with nearly 170 bouts and one fight from going blind when it was offered to Dempsey. Tate, who was 20 with 26 fights stood up to Langford for Dempsey. Don't worry about it!

6. No. Johnson ducked Langford, Jeanette, and Mcvea in their HEAVYWEIGHT primes.
      In that case, Dempsey ducked Wills in his prime. From 1922 they blamed the fight not being made on Rickard. Dempsey and Kearns then had a match in which they didn't allow Rickard to participate in. They should have matched him with Wills.

None of what you wrote changes that Dempsey ducked Joe Jeannette. Stop being so hurt about it and learn to cope.

Comment

It never said he couldn't have taken the challenge. Quite the opposite. Seems he's saying that if it were a white guy...ANY white guy, he would have taken it.

What was Kearns going to do, throw him in jail? Sue him on breach of contract? Makes no sense.

Being that Dempsey said he would fight ANY white fighter, seems the path was clear for a substitution. That's obvious.

Again, Dempsey stated clearly that he would have fought ANY white man. It's very clear. Dempsy ducked Jeannette.

When he fought Jack Johnson, Jeannette was coming off of a win over Sam Langford, another guy that Dempsey ducked.

Sure, have at it. Frankly I'm tired of this convo and I don't care to look into it. Doesn't change the fact that about what I said that sparked this thread to be changed into a completely different subject: Joe Jeannette ran Dempsey out of NY. lol

Langford was 33 with nearly 170 bouts and one fight from going blind when it was offered to Dempsey. Tate, who was 20 with 26 fights stood up to Langford for Dempsey. Don't worry about it!

In that case, Dempsey ducked Wills in his prime. From 1922 they blamed the fight not being made on Rickard. Dempsey and Kearns then had a match in which they didn't allow Rickard to participate in. They should have matched him with Wills.

None of what you wrote changes that Dempsey ducked Joe Jeannette. Stop being so hurt about it and learn to cope.
        You're wrong. Everything you said has been proven false.

Good boy.

Comment

Exactly! Everyone was saying negro in those days, guess why? Most every white person was a racist!!
          Dude. Houdini and I both have given you an out for this idiocy, and you're still going on about it?

So then you're saying Dempsey was a racist. Ok then, nuff said. You said it, not me. Just remember that and stop accusing me of saying it!

You're nitpicking. I can't believe I have to be this specific. When people use negro as their normal term for a black person then they were clearly racist. When they say colored 99% of the time and probably slip at the tongue and say negro once (while literally saying colored about 5 seconds prior) then they probably aren't racist. I say probably because I'm only 99% certain Dempsey wasn't racist. Only Dempsey himself could be 100% certain.

ahahahahahahaha. Now you have to add percentages into it? Do you really want to keep going down this road? I've offered to let this go a billion times, but you keep going and now you're sinking into this slippery slope, so fine. If you want to discuss it, have at this quote:

“I'll fight any white man they put on,” he growled huskily, “but I didnt agree to fight a colored boy.”

What do you think of Dempsey's quotation? You keep wanting to talk about this and I've said over and over that I have no desire to even discuss this, but you keep going. So have at it. Explain what you see there.

Comment

How does this Ivy League idiot not know that negro was not considered a derogatory term during that era?

Comment

You're wrong. Everything you said has been proven false.

Good boy.

LMAO. You wish. You got so rattled that you didn't even know up from down

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                How does this Ivy League idiot not know that negro was not considered a derogatory term during that era?
                He has an Ivy League education???????

Or maybe you're referring to me. Maybe you should go back and read, you moron

At that time in American history the public was racist af. Colored was considered the non-racist polite term. If Dempsey had a real disdain for black folks he would have said 'negro'.

Ghost is so ******, he's going after the dude that's "on his side."
                Last edited by travestyny; 03-16-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Floyd was ready to call off the Maidana fight if he didn't change his gloves! Imagine if they tried substituting Maidana for Khan or Thurman? Hahaha, he would ran out of the ring faster than you can say IV.

No doubt...

Comment

Floyd was ready to call off the Maidana fight if he didn't change his gloves! Imagine if they tried substituting Maidana for Khan or Thurman? Hahaha, he would ran out of the ring faster than you can say IV.
                    And Dempsey was ready to run out of the ring before they could finish saying Black in "Black Panther."

Dempsey wouldn't have worried about gloves. He knew what he was packing. Probably would have been a fair fight
                    Last edited by travestyny; 03-16-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

LMAO. You wish. You got so rattled that you didn't even know up from down
                      You've surrendered your argument in exchange for who can come up with the best comeback.

I have made you my good boy.

Comment

Working...
                      X