The Battle of Bettondorf: Nunn vs Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Puts the cat in amongst the pigeons!
    Care to explain how the best thing Johnson did in Round 5 was "make it out the round on his feet"?

What about the jab, lead left, counter left, counter right hook, right hook to the body, jabbing over his jab.

As opposed to Toney's what?

What are you seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Ay? Maybe I will watch that again because as far as I recall he clearly won the first 6. I may be wrong as I admit I haven't watched in a while but I definitely don't recall Johnson being hurt at any point of the fight so not sure how he was lucky to make it out of any round.

Whilst I agree Johnson gave away a lot of the later, Toney was still made to look foolish and confused for the entire fight. Trying (and failing) to cut off the ring, loading up on one big shot and missing wildly, crossing his feet over and falling in (massive flaw of his) the same thing he was doing with Nunn but Reggie wasn't having it. Reggie cruised and cost himself the clear victory but for my money the early lead, the KD and atleast a share of one round in the second half should have got him the victory but I'm not going to say it was a robbery because Johnson let it slip out his fingers. But there is no shame in that because Johnson was an awesome fighter and the only man to beat him decisively was Roy and that was when he was passed his best. But Reggie made him look extremely limited to say the least.

As for Montel, neither was a robbery for my money. Both were razor close. I could easily see either winning both and Montel got the decision. Both respectable decisions IMO. Toney's inability to defend the jab and left side of his body a major downfall for him in those fights. But Montel is also a top quality fighter so no shame in that either.

Now if we want to talk out and out robberies then look no further than Dave Tiberi. He beat Toney easily and was robbed blind.
      See you mentioned Tiberi
      That was a strange fight, and yes, the feather fisted nonentity got so badly robbed he quit & was never seen again. Possibly because, other than his family, no one wanted to.
      Swarming feather fisted cardio machine is about the best compliment I can think of.
      As well as, the very first of many to expose the now well documented dietary concerns to do with James Toney

Far as fair play's concerned, I thought it was daylight robbery too, but who in merry hell's gonna pay a days dollar to go & watch someone like Tiberi!... Kinda guy who could spoil a bullfight, and that's exactly what he did,, So much so, no one ever wanted to see him again

No doubt, discuss the other stuff later

Regards

Comment

See you mentioned Tiberi
        That was a strange fight, and yes, the feather fisted nonentity got so badly robbed he quit & was never seen again. Possibly because, other than his family, no one wanted to.
        Swarming feather fisted cardio machine is about the best compliment I can think of.
        As well as, the very first of many to expose the now well documented dietary concerns to do with James Toney

Far as fair play's concerned, I thought it was daylight robbery too, but who in merry hell's gonna pay a days dollar to go & watch someone like Tiberi!... Kinda guy who could spoil a bullfight, and that's exactly what he did,, So much so, no one ever wanted to see him again

No doubt, discuss the other stuff later

Regards
        Well Tiberi was brought in as cannon fodder anyway.

He had shown his (low) level.

No one expected him to beat Toney. Which he did.

Comment

Care to explain how the best thing Johnson did in Round 5 was "make it out the round on his feet"?

What about the jab, lead left, counter left, counter right hook, right hook to the body, jabbing over his jab.

As opposed to Toney's what?

What are you seeing?
          Let's just say we're both prone to a bit of exaggeration then

The round was even at most, Johnson for the 1st half of it, and Toney took over mid-way through

Comment

Let's just say we're both prone to a bit of exaggeration then

The round was even at most, Johnson for the 1st half of it, and Toney took over mid-way through
            Don't see any stage where Toney took over the round infact I don't even see how he finished the round stronger.

Johnson kept him at bay with the jab all round and cracked him with sharp counters.

Toney landed 1 or 2 good solid counters but that is about it fof that round. He was made to miss and made to pay all round.

At no point in the fight was Johnson hurt.

Comment

Don't see any stage where Toney took over the round infact I don't even see how he finished the round stronger.

Johnson kept him at bay with the jab all round and cracked him with sharp counters.

Toney landed 1 or 2 good solid counters but that is about it fof that round. He was made to miss and made to pay all round.

You sure "Don't see". No argument here. Reggie was a tough fight and Toney came on and hit him with good shots from the 5th round on. Thats what most people saw. Reggie fought well but was in against Toney who also had a lot of skills.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                You sure "Don't see". No argument here. Reggie was a tough fight and Toney came on and hit him with good shots from the 5th round on. Thats what most people saw. Reggie fought well but was in against Toney who also had a lot of skills.
                Toney barely landed any clean effective shots. Even the rounds that he won down the stretch, he wasn't landing with regularity.

Johnson made him miss widely over and over and over again, boxed his ears off easily for 5 rounds and dropped him heavily and you reckon that ain't a reason to critisize someone Hilarious

Please do not speak for "most people" with your twilight zone opinion. A lot of people felt Reggie won, A LOT.

I think it is abundantly clear who the more skilled of the two fighters is.

Comment

Toney barely landed any clean effective shots. Even the rounds that he won down the stretch, he wasn't landing with regularity.

Johnson made him miss widely over and over and over again, boxed his ears off easily for 5 rounds and dropped him heavily and you reckon that ain't a reason to critisize someone Hilarious

Please do not speak for "most people" with your twilight zone opinion. A lot of people felt Reggie won, A LOT.

I think it is abundantly clear who the more skilled of the two fighters is.
                  YOu exxagerate so much about Johnson... And implying that JOhnson in some quantifiable way is more skilled than Toney is absurd. Toney had an incredible run, both guys were obviously skilled fighters.

And to quote a favorite of yours: show me "A lot of people" who were outraged that Toney got the nod. no Dan...your the one with the strange opinion about this fight and you know that. You hate Toney and cannot be unbaised concerning him.

Johnson certainly had skills... more power to Toney for taking that fight and winning it.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    YOu exxagerate so much about Johnson... And implying that JOhnson in some quantifiable way is more skilled than Toney is absurd. Toney had an incredible run, both guys were obviously skilled fighters.

And to quote a favorite of yours: show me "A lot of people" who were outraged that Toney got the nod. no Dan...your the one with the strange opinion about this fight and you know that. You hate Toney and cannot be unbaised concerning him.

Johnson certainly had skills... more power to Toney for taking that fight and winning it.
                    Johnson is more skilled. Well, IMO Johnson is more skilled and he most certainly showed that in their fight. Showed it against a common opponent in Williams and hell, even showed it with Roy Jones despite both losing wide. Showed it throughout the 90's.

How am I exaggerating. Johnson CLEARLY won the first 5 rounds easily. Do you deny that?

I never said anyone was outraged that Toney won. Why put words in my mouth? Are you female? If not why all the feminine traits? "Hate" "Biased" you sound like my wife when she still got her periods.

What I said was; "a lot of people thought Johnson won" which is the truth. I never said Johnson was robbed. But regardless of the decision one thing is certain and that is Johnson made Toney look foolish throughout the entire fight. Even the rounds he lost.

No mate YOU are the one with the mind boggling opinion. Nothing to be critisized for? Laughable. What's next Roy Jones has nothing to be critiszied about his performance against Tarver? Andre Ward has nothing to be critsized for for his performance against Kovalev 1?

I don't hate Toney and I'm not biased regarding him I have already gone into detail to prove that I'm not. I'm sorry my objectivity hurts your feelings.

Comment

Once again, you've managed to agitate one or two more posters with your should've gone to spec savers opinion...Really is becoming quite nauseous, obviously never been in the ring yourself, and it bloody well shows too!
                      Superb boxer though he is, was a pitter pat puncher, got tagged a couple of times in the 5th, and his guard wasn't pathetic but poor enough, so that every time Toney connected on of his gloves, Johnson hit himself bang in the face....Similar stuff in the 6th too, Johnson needing the ropes for assistance etc

Sorry old son, but you're opinion's just been blown right out the window

Comment

Working...
                      X