Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fighter could have had a better career for various reasons?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    And not sure about manufactured, but I do know too few boxers seem to want to unify titles these days, which really sucks. How could one call himself the best if he's not willing to face all title holders. He can't, unless he's at least lineal.
    Boxing is more fixed now then It has ever been In the past...

Comment

It is a pretty good question, since it encompasses virtually every fighter. Managerial and promotional entanglements alone are enough to ensure the phenomenon is universal. Nobody ever had a perfect career in every way. Who is farthest from what they should have been? Ike looks like a good candidate for the latter question. But if he was on steroids I wouldn't even rate him. This goes for any fighter. If they took 'roids they are off my radar and I do not care a whit for them or their legacies.

I would be all for expunging any 'roid cheater from the record books, if there were a reliable means of confirming their cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        It is a pretty good question, since it encompasses virtually every fighter. Managerial and promotional entanglements alone are enough to ensure the phenomenon is universal. Nobody ever had a perfect career in every way. Who is farthest from what they should have been? Ike looks like a good candidate for the latter question. But if he was on steroids I wouldn't even rate him. This goes for any fighter. If they took 'roids they are off my radar and I do not care a whit for them or their legacies.

I would be all for expunging any 'roid cheater from the record books, if there were a reliable means of confirming their cheating.
        For all you know you'd be expunging 90% of the "champions" of the last 30 years....

I mean honestly in current year how many fighters do you think aren't juiced the **** up???

Comment

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
          Boxing is more fixed now then It has ever been In the past...
          Wouldn't surprise me. Hell, a lot of boxers got involved in wrestling at some point. Primo Carnera, Mike Tyson, Holyfield, Ali, Mayweather, etc. so they probably took what they learned and applied it in wrestling or vice versa. Would make a good deal more money in the process.

Comment

I almost forgot about Paul Williams. He was set to fight Canelo on pay-per-view when that accident happened and a lot of people were picking him to beat Canelo at the time.

Comment

If Oscar gets the nod in the Trinidad fight, his legacy is viewed differently

Comment

Imagine Leonard never had that injury, would the Hagler fight have happened earlier? Would the hearns rematch have happened at 154? I reckon his prime would have been longer and he would have once again beaten hearns.

What about naz having better hands? If he didn't break them so often and stayed fit, maybe he would never have lost to mab, or there would be a rematch, possible Morales fight and an extension of his career to 2005 ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Wouldn't surprise me. Hell, a lot of boxers got involved in wrestling at some point. Primo Carnera, Mike Tyson, Holyfield, Ali, Mayweather, etc. so they probably took what they learned and applied it in wrestling or vice versa. Would make a good deal more money in the process.

Boxing, wrestling, ufc all seem to borrow marketing tactics from each other.

I would compare the state of the boxing Industry to the video game industry.
                  By that I mean I blame the fans for being ******s.

Comment

I wonder how much more Prince Naseem Hamed could have done.

Not in the ATG discussion, I wonder what Dmitry Pirog could have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      If Oscar gets the nod in the Trinidad fight, his legacy is viewed differently
                      And Oscar should have gotten the nod. When a rotten decision occurs in the fight of a generation, it is enough to drive you away. They semi drove me away. I have not actually bought an event in years. Hoya was a better fighter than stiff-legged Trinidad.

What someone needs to do is make a compilation of dirt and bad decisions and see if this type of disappointment was more common in Donking productions. The answer would tell us a lot about whether King was ultimately good for boxing. I would have to bet that skullduggery was more common under King than elsewhere in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X