Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Andre Ward is genuinely retired...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell yeah and I have a feeling Kovalev might do just that.

Comment

he's the best super middleweight of the era, one of the best ever at the weight. moved up to 175 and became the guy, but hardly has a historic tier resume there.

he's not one of the 100 most accomplished boxers ever. he had tremendous skills and was a very talented boxer, but he did not do enough to be an "All time great," if your criteria is being among the top 100 guys ever. frankly i don't think he's that close.

he is a shoe in for the hall of fame. he's got a better resume and was a more able fighter than a lot of the guys in canastota

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Would Ward rank higher at 168 than Roy Jones?

ward wouldn't win a round off of jones. i thnk that means a good deal.

jones also has a win over prime toney, a hell of a better figher than prime froch, prime kessler, etc. ward did have a solid run of basically everybody at 168, other htan bute who was hhugely overrated and couldn't get out of the fifth round with a relatively slow carl froch.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          he's the best super middleweight of the era, one of the best ever at the weight. moved up to 175 and became the guy, but hardly has a historic tier resume there.

he's not one of the 100 most accomplished boxers ever. he had tremendous skills and was a very talented boxer, but he did not do enough to be an "All time great," if your criteria is being among the top 100 guys ever. frankly i don't think he's that close.

he is a shoe in for the hall of fame. he's got a better resume and was a more able fighter than a lot of the guys in canastota
          I think you have to say he's #1 at 168.

But agree with you definitely not an ATG but definite HOF'er.

Comment

Thanks for the assessments, New England and IronDanHamza, that's the career info I was looking for on Ward. Kind of what I suspected, since he didn't stick around for long. Ward should be pretty good as a regular commentator, if he wants to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              ward wouldn't win a round off of jones. i thnk that means a good deal.

jones also has a win over prime toney, a hell of a better figher than prime froch, prime kessler, etc. ward did have a solid run of basically everybody at 168, other htan bute who was hhugely overrated and couldn't get out of the fifth round with a relatively slow carl froch.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Comment

The GOAT at 168

ATG fighter

I would say top 100 lock

And I do think he is retired, he has made millions, undefeated, coming off career defining wins, plus I think the CTE stuff is a motivator to leave the game with senses intact

Comment

Working...
                X