No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers estimated punching power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

Hmmm, why the hostility? You are taking this way too seriously, lol.
    Wasn't you serious saying those outdated quotes like other crazy followers idiots stop being stuck
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-17-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

One thing going against Shavers here is the fact that he's had a number of fights where he hurt and knocked opponents down but they got back up and survived(often even winning). There's Young, Lyle, Holmes, Terrell, Lyle, Mercado, Bugner, Tillis. Plus many fights where he had to keep knocking opponents down over and over.

What the hardest hitters ever have in common is that they were extremely good at finishing off opponents they dropped or hurt.
      Last edited by BKM-; 04-17-2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moneytheman View Post

Wasn't you serious saying those outdated quotes like other crazy followers idiots stop being stuck
        All of your posts in your history you call everyone a crazy idiot, dummy, lair, or claim you’ve exposed them, you sound just like another Floyd fan on here. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

All of your posts in your history you call everyone a crazy idiot, dummy, lair, or claim you’ve exposed them, you sound just like another Floyd fan on here. Lol.
          Where am I wrong calling these people what they show your the same a outdated idiot follower who use quotes or do you forget you use outdated quotes your what I called you

Im not wrong I respond to what I see i am a floyd fan and a fan of other people what does that have to do with exposing you crazy idiots nothing
          Last edited by Ascended; 04-17-2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moneytheman View Post

Where am I wrong calling these people what they show your the same a outdated idiot follower who use quotes or do you forget you use outdated quotes your what I called you

Im not wrong I respond to what I see i am a floyd fan and a fan of other people what does that have to do with exposing you crazy idiots nothing
            How can a quote about a contemporary event become outdated?

Actually I understand your point and agree sometimes, but quote ain't the right word.

Take the topic: Shavers hardest puncher.

All it takes to get there is some prefight commentary by an announcer pitching the fight, he says something like: "Some people say Ernie Shavers is the hardest puncher in the game today." Nothing but a pitch.

Then a few rounds later Shavers smashes Holmes to the canvas and everyone goes Wow!

Next day the big punch is all the talk at work. (and we did)

30 years later people are still calling Shavers the hardest puncher ever (an outdated quote).

One fight, one announcer, one overstatement, one KD is all you really need to get there.

You're correct there are many 'outdated quotes' in boxing.

But quote ain't the right word; 'outdated quote' ain't the right way to say it. Quotes don't become outdated.

I'm not sure how to say it in one phrase . . . Words that come to mind: fallacious; apocryphal; factoid, legendary (not in the sense of great).

I get your point; got to be a better way to say it.

P.S. Please stop calling us all idiots. Even if we are, calling us such won't get anything done.

Happy Easter (if applicable)
            Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 04-17-2022, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
              One thing going against Shavers here is the fact that he's had a number of fights where he hurt and knocked opponents down but they got back up and survived(often even winning). There's Young, Lyle, Holmes, Terrell, Lyle, Mercado, Bugner, Tillis. Plus many fights where he had to keep knocking opponents down over and over.

What the hardest hitters ever have in common is that they were extremely good at finishing off opponents they dropped or hurt.
              - - Thanks for your demonstration of the centuries old bias against a puncher when he fails to KO his opponent.

Nobody(You) faults a boxer for winning by KO when he fails to win the decision.

Comment

Working...
              X