No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers estimated punching power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earnie Shavers estimated punching power

I was reading an article where it was saying the average elite boxer punches with like 700+ pounds of force.

They said some in lab settings were hitting with 900-1300.

Has there ever been any info what guys like Foreman or Shavers were hitting at.

From all the accounts seems these guys threw devastating punches.

Tough to gauge with no scientific proof. P4 I would say Shavers hit as hard as any heavyweight ever. You have testimony of the guys he fought and can see how much torque he got into his punches. Does this prove anything? No. But I'm pretty sure no heavyweight past or present would want to get hit cleanly by him.

Comment

Still not as hard as Ivan Drago, who reached 1500 PSI.

Comment

I would favor opponents testimony over lab tests. Many of Shavers opponents professed that he hit them the hardest. Here are a few:

·Larry Holmes: "Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvas hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis."

·Tex Cobb: "Earnie could punch you in the neck with his right hand and break your ankle."

·Muhammad Ali: "Earnie hit me so hard, he shook my kinfolk back in Africa"

·Ron Lyle: "Hey man, that's the hardest I've ever been hit in my life. And George Foreman could punch, but none of them could hit like Earnie Shavers did. When he hit you, the lights went out. I can laugh about it now, but at the time,it wasn't funny."

·Ron Lyle: "Hardest he's ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember."

·James "Quick" Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*ss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I was in the land of make-believe." "No doubtThe baddest mf'er I fought was Earnie Shavers. That mf'er can make July into June and made me jump over the mf'n moon. He hit me so hard, I thought I was on the corner smoking cigarette and eating a spam sandwich. That's how hard that mf'er hit."

Comment

Yet Shavers didn't seem to win most of his big fights or hold the title for any extended period of time. Just goes to show it takes more than punching power. Takes some timing and accuracy too.

Comment

I estimate it was pretty good.

Comment

Pretty sure that Archie Moore created a device, using a bathroom weight scale, that measured Shavers' punching power. Can't remember what his reading was on it...
              Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 07-15-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                I would favor opponents testimony over lab tests. Many of Shavers opponents professed that he hit them the hardest. Here are a few:

·Larry Holmes: "Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvas hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis."

·Tex Cobb: "Earnie could punch you in the neck with his right hand and break your ankle."

·Ron Lyle: "Hey man, that's the hardest I've ever been hit in my life. And George Foreman could punch, but none of them could hit like Earnie Shavers did. When he hit you, the lights went out. I can laugh about it now, but at the time,it wasn't funny."

·Ron Lyle: "Hardest he's ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember."

·James "Quick" Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*ss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I was in the land of make-believe." "No doubtThe baddest mf'er I fought was Earnie Shavers. That mf'er can make July into June and made me jump over the mf'n moon. He hit me so hard, I thought I was on the corner smoking cigarette and eating a spam sandwich. That's how hard that mf'er hit."
                It sounds more like Shavers was using Voodoo instead of punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                  Pretty sure that Archie Moore created a device, using a bathroom weight scale, that measured Shavers' punching power. Can't remember what his reading was on it...
                  archie moore was a very hard puncher himself, i think he still has the most KO's of any boxer living or dead. shavers probably had the kind of power that could cave the side of a guy's face in like the picture of marciano and walcott. louis and dempsey also hit hard enough to break bones, but this was in the days of gloves with almost no padding. if shavers had worn dempsey's gloves he probably would have broken ali's, holmes and lyle's bones

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Still not as hard as Ivan Drago, who reached 1500 PSI.
                    Punching power isn't measured in PSI.

Comment

Working...
                    X