No announcement yet.

De La Hoya Becomes Bob Arum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Golovkin already got Canelo's middleweight belt. But he's STILL chasing after the Mexican anyway.

The reason is obviously because Canelo offers better money making potential than anyone else right now. He's a clear A-side.

It would seem like a good idea for GGG to take a little less money in order to lure the redhead into the ring. But you have people like The Old Left Hook who think he should be insulted by the highest purse he has ever been offered and that he should demand A-side money.

Then he turns around and complains that the fight isn't getting made. That's his position.
    That's right, old boy, he should be insulted by a flat fee offer, and he is. In a fight that could generate $80 million, he would be an idiot to accept $10 million. It is not a true offer that Hoya believed for a second would be accepted, but merely a transparent stalling tactic.

Mexico must be ashamed of their carrot top.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      It is not a true offer that Hoya believed for a second would be accepted, but merely a transparent stalling tactic.
      Then why doesn't Golovkin call their bluff?

Accept the $10 million and see what they do. Either Golden Boy runs away and looks even worse in the court of public opinion....or the fight gets made, GGG gets a career high payday, and he clobbers Canelo easily as most people think he will do.

He becomes the real A-side after that and can call the shots moneywise for the rest of his career. And certainly for the lucrative rematch which will surely be demanded by Golden Boy.

It's a win-win situation.

And it's exactly what Floyd did when he accepted a very lopsided split of the finances in De La Hoya's favor when they fought. He too a risk and gambled on himself, becoming very wealthy as a result.

Comment

Do we have to have the Golovkin-Canelo negotiations in the history section too? Maybe we can discuss that fascinating subject in a few years time when reminiscing about how full of **** De La Hoya was.

Comment

GGG wants the belts and thats where he'll focus first. The money fight is Canelo but I think they'll let Canelo wait!
          The 10 mil is not a good offer because they both need each other. No one is the A side and if anything GGG has the draw power to the non fan. They know who he is not many non fans know Alvarez.

Ray

Bob was Oscar's mentor, he learned well.....
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 09-28-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            GGG wants the belts and thats where he'll focus first. The money fight is Canelo but I think they'll let Canelo wait!
            The 10 mil is not a good offer because they both need each other. No one is the A side and if anything GGG has the draw power to the non fan. They know who he is not many non fans know Alvarez.

Ray

Bob was Oscar's mentor, he learned well.....
            You need numbers to determine drawing power, Ray.

Canelo can point to his big stadium crowds in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston that Golovkin hasn't matched as of yet.

Canelo can also point to his history of PPV sales. How do GGG's PPV numbers compare?

Let's deal in cold, hard facts. Not in who you personally like better.

Comment

I think the latest numbers for GGG vs Brook scored 843k.
              Canelo vs Khan was 250k, the stadium numbers no one knows because if you don't think that there's thousands of comp seats involved in Canelo's Texas venue
              I have property in SW Fl. you need to buy!

As far as personal likes......I like GGG a little better because his methodology is fan favored. Canelo disappointed me by trashing the middleweight belt. It was ok to beat up lil Cotto and was ok for Cotto to take the belt from a disabled Sergio but all three wouldn't sign the line to face GGG. Canelo needed Floyd for ppv numbers and a business lesson!
              Thats disappointing to a boxing fan like myself.
              I'm not a front runner like 98% of the people who post here, I'm sick of listening to fighters & fans who place so much importance on an undefeated record. The greatest fighters that ever lived lost some fights, if you fight often enough you will go to the ring less than 100% and you will fight someone good enough to come up with a great performance.
              I don't read great performances here and I don't see them in the ring either.
              The two biggest's names in the last 15 years are Floyd and Wlad and neither would ever make my top twenty in the divisions their associated with.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                I think the latest numbers for GGG vs Brook scored 843k.
                Canelo vs Khan was 250k, the stadium numbers no one knows because if you don't think that there's thousands of comp seats involved in Canelo's Texas venue
                I have property in SW Fl. you need to buy!

As far as personal likes......I like GGG a little better because his methodology is fan favored. Canelo disappointed me by trashing the middleweight belt. It was ok to beat up lil Cotto and was ok for Cotto to take the belt from a disabled Sergio but all three wouldn't sign the line to face GGG. Canelo needed Floyd for ppv numbers and a business lesson!
                Thats disappointing to a boxing fan like myself.
                I'm not a front runner like 98% of the people who post here, I'm sick of listening to fighters & fans who place so much importance on an undefeated record. The greatest fighters that ever lived lost some fights, if you fight often enough you will go to the ring less than 100% and you will fight someone good enough to come up with a great performance.
                I don't read great performances here and I don't see them in the ring either.
                The two biggest's names in the last 15 years are Floyd and Wlad and neither would ever make my top twenty in the divisions their associated with.

Ray
                Frankly with mayweather I do not know any weight division to associate him with other than catch-weight. A concept that leonard started when he made the one armed donnie Lalonde boil down to 168 and still claim the 175 pound title.

Comment

Is anyone avoiding Canelo, or do I hear many others calling him out? No one is afraid of him it seems. He has many fights to choose from because no one fears the carrot top.

Comment

Classic cases of obvious avoidance are fairly rare in boxing. We have in this thread an almost consensus agreement that Canelo is avoiding GGG. That is rare.

If GGG had obvious holes they thought they could exploit, Hoya and Carrot minion would not be dancing so much. They do not feel he can win. After GGG gets older, Canelo can win. All part of boxing's death throes. More fans will desert. The only place left for fans to get their jollies off is on forums and social media. It doesn't satisfy the way it did the the big fights were made and we moved on to the next one. Now a guy wonders if he will even live until the next superfight.

Comment

Yeah and people can hate MMA all they want, but at least they make the fights fans want to see when they want to see them. No waiting years or letting them marinate, as long as they're in the same promotion. In November, the UFC is doing their first New York card at MSG with 3 title fights on it that fans are truly excited about. When's the last time boxing fans got a superfight with both fighters in their prime?

Comment

Working...
                      X