Did Anyone Miss No One Important?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
    Pure fiction...
    In fact Pryor is the one who ducked some guy. I forget the name...

Are you joking or something??
    Wake up and read the words, ye of little reasoning. Ducking is not part of the title, a great fight that didn't happen for one reason or another, is.

And I reply to the always per****acious Christo that the official weight "excuse" was always available for Robinson and Burley, and looks good on paper. But Charley himself was a smallish middleweight (weight-wise, not height-wise) in those days. To make matters more sad for us, the fight was entirley possible and feasible for these two great athletes, for from the beginning Robby regularly fought middleweights, guys in the 153-157 range, exactly where Charlie was in the 40's. Robinson was fighting over the weight matches all along through the 40's. Perhaps a lot of welterweights were off to WWII.

I seem to doubt that there was even much of a call for this fight back in the day, if any. I believe the Robinson/Burley controversy is more of an historical afterthought uncovered by journalists than an active controversy in its day. For whatever reason(s), though, we did not get the fight. Since these two guys were basically the same size all along, and Burley became a professional either two or four years before Robby, the fight was entirely feasible from an athletic standpoint from about late 43 or early 44 onwards, once Ray had gained a few years experience.

It is a great matchup that was missed in the flow of history. Most great fighters have one or a few. Ali does not.

Even Rocky now is tentatively on the list. I asked those who spoke to provide more insight into the Baker fellow Rocky allegedly missed and could/should have fought, but they have not responded yet.

I learned a simple truth a long time ago. A truth about learning itself. The fastest way to knowledge is to ask an expert. You can grind out fixing your computer problem for frustrated hours or days by yourself, or you can ask an expert, who will probably solve your simple problem within minutes. So it goes for almost any subject. That is why I ask for more information on Baker. If I did not have associates on here whose opinions I can can trust and value in certain matters, I would not bother to ask, of course. Ray's opinion on this matter of Baker would be of value.

Unfortunately, I cannot look everything up. I have higher math to tackle, electronics to learn, guitar to practice, novels to write...sometimes I trust in my friends to provide the information they already have rather than go digging for it myself, since I am always busy digging somewhere. Dig is what I do. But I cannot do all the digging in the world or as much as I would like to do, so I rely on others. Books, articles, videos...they all rely on someone else, as well. However, none are as quick and direct--ahem!--as the e-pipeline to a knowledable associate is supposed to be.

The next time Ray and I are out in the boat, I am going to query him on Baker, rest assured.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
      Pure fiction...
      In fact Pryor is the one who ducked some guy. I forget the name...

Are you joking or something??
      Name the dudes Oscar or chavez missed in big fights....

Last I checked, they fought everyone that was relevant in their day, especially chavez.....

Please name the great fighter chavez didn't fight?? Same goes for Oscar...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Name the dudes Oscar or chavez missed in big fights....

Last I checked, they fought everyone that was relevant in their day, especially chavez.....

Please name the great fighter chavez didn't fight?? Same goes for Oscar...
        Oh no I misunderstood!!
        I thought you were saying Chavez and Oscar ducked each other, even though they fought twice!
        My mistake...

Comment

I thought he meant they didn't fight sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            I thought he meant they didn't fight sooner.
            I thought that you meant he thought sugar implied you thought there were no fights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              I thought that you meant he thought sugar implied you thought there were no fights.
              Hehe, you're too much

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Robinson did not miss Burley. In your opinion he fought him. Okay.
                How can you say fighter A missed fighter B if there was never a realistic chance for the two to ever fight? Which is why I labeled you a noob, which you most certainly are as the myth of Robinson not having the Burley fight is exactly that, a myth. There was no point at which the two could have fought each other, especially in a meaningful bout.

Robinson won his first middleweight title in 1950, the same year in which Burley retired. The last time Burley fought a meaningful fight at middleweight was 45/46. In that same time period, Robinson won his first welterweight title.

So, when exactly was this fight supposed to happen? It's not a miss if it's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  How can you say fighter A missed fighter B if there was never a realistic chance for the two to ever fight? Which is why I labeled you a noob, which you most certainly are as the myth of Robinson not having the Burley fight is exactly that, a myth. There was no point at which the two could have fought each other, especially in a meaningful bout.

Robinson won his first middleweight title in 1950, the same year in which Burley retired. The last time Burley fought a meaningful fight at middleweight was 45/46. In that same time period, Robinson won his first welterweight title.

So, when exactly was this fight supposed to happen? It's not a miss if it's impossible.
                  No myth. A match-up was possible, but it had close to zero public interest and even less from those running the sport.

Comment

"The next time Ray and I are out in the boat, I am going to query him on Baker, rest assured".

Baker was a very good boxer however from mid-52 leading up to 55 when Marciano retired he was fighting the biggest's names in the division to be able to earn the most lucrative purses.
                    It wasn't that Baker wasn't worthy he simply didn't have the drawing numbers that Charles (2), Walcott (2), LaStarza, ****le maintained along with Moore who beat Baker by tko in 54 and beat Valdes in 55.

I'm not saying Baker wasn't worthy he was a quality opponent for anyone and was a quality man by all accounts I know of him but this is a money game and Marciano was ALL about "how much"! Especially once he knew he was quitting.
                    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                      No myth. A match-up was possible, but it had close to zero public interest and even less from those running the sport.
                      No it wasn't possible. Burley didn't fight a relevant, top fighter for half a decade before retirement. By the time he did retire, Robinson had just moved to middleweight.

It was never realistic.

Comment

Working...
                      X