worst heavyweight champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AHussain123 View Post
    The list is missing Andrew Golota, IMO worst heavyweight
    I guess that you missed the "champion" part of the question.

Comment

What can you say about Carnera?

Certainly tougher than most of us, and no quitter.

Remember, though being beaten up badly by both Baer and Louis, he was counted out on his feet.

Comment

I'm beginning to lean towards Leon Spinks take out his win against a shot Ali and then lost to a shot Ali and there isn't much left.
        Most of the others if you assume some of Carnera's wins were on the level had at least one decent win on their record.

Comment

Bruce seldom should be on it
          Herbie hide
          Gerrie coetzee
          These are just as bad

Comment

One big problem with this question is when we bring in alphabet soup it automatically makes for some horrendous champions. Canera was not a great fighter, he had some shady dealings but he also had some skills compared to some of these association champs that held these charlie Z like belts. Even a guy like Ruiz was pretty bad actually... Ditto for Valuev so lets put this to the gang....when we talk of "worse" what fight featured "worse" fighters? the undisputed match between Max Bauer and Canera? or Ruiz versus Valuev? to me the answer is pretty easy, especially considering that the Ruiz fight was not even for the undisputed.

Comment

Valuev is one of the worst, he shouldn't even have had a title. He only got it from getting gift decisions against Larry Donald and John Ruiz, who weren't particularly good to begin with.

Comment

Baer and Johansson have been mentioned here.

In terms of skills, they certainly weren’t bad, but they could very well belong in the “worst” category because they didn’t bother to spend much time focusing on their first defense.

Which takes us to the 1980’s alphabet champs … So much talent, so much waste.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  Deontay Wilder is the worst I've seen then Nikolai Valuev.
                  Lmao... You think guys like ruiz, seldon, maskev are better than wilder..

Your better than that Dan cov,,, step your game up

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                    Baer and Johansson have been mentioned here.

In terms of skills, they certainly weren’t bad.
                    Do you really think so, Ben?

Nothing wrong with it, I suppose, although it depends on whether you compare them with their lighter equivalents or not.

I can actually understand if someone might be tempted to argue that Johansson was decent enough at applying the generally perceived textbook fundamentals—especially by heavyweight standards—which I assume is your definition of "skills".

But Baer? Not a chance.

Lighter divisions have had its own share of Baer-esque marauders as well, but you will struggle to find anyone who genuinely believes that Fuji, Moon, Saman etc. was even remotely close to being skilled in the traditional sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                      Valuev is one of the worst, he shouldn't even have had a title. He only got it from getting gift decisions against Larry Donald and John Ruiz, who weren't particularly good to begin with.
                      Agreed. So with that in mind, considering why Valuev got a title...vis a vis alphabet soup, bad judges... it becomes illogical to compare Baur and Canera to either of these men. Ruiz was durable but I doubt he would have fought for anything close to a championship in most eras. Canera was better than Valuev, he had a better chin and some power and could at least move a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X