No announcement yet.

worst heavyweight champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    I would put Baer on the short list of hardest punching heavyweights. His right was lethal...everybody talks about how he killed one guy (Roy Camillo, the brother of Dolph Camillo the Brooklyn Dodgers first baseman) and was indirectly implicated in killing another fighter. Its also true that he was hurt by this and may have become less aggressive. Many people felt that Max clowned in the ring because of this. Regardless, while Louis, for example, was much more refined and had many more weapons, along with Louis max's right had to be one of the most powerful ever.
    Fair enough, and I bet that you are not the only one who thinks so.

Anyway, I'm not questioning Baer's reputation as a puncher. Quite the opposite, actually.

It is his other tools/attributes—or rather the relative lack of them—that makes me hesitant to say he's clearly better than those being suggested so far.

Comment

Siarhei Loakhovich
      Lamon Brewster
      Henry Akinwande
      Bruce Seldon

all benefited from the "multiple" federations that have watered down the meaning of Champion!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Braddock heavyweight career wasn't very good, especially as champion. He had guts and toughness, and he wouldn't be my choice as the worst, but he is up there with the worst of them in my opinion.
        Yeah I could see the argument for that. He is definitely an example of anything can happen on any given night in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
          Do you believe 5'9 sloppy Gallento was a very skilled fighter? Please dont answer that if the answer is yes!
          Definitely not that skilled of a fighter other than hell of a chin, left hook, and dirty tactics! He would have been champ at some point if he actually dedicated himself to training properly.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Ill go with Valuev as well!

One of the reasons for this choice is that Valuev, a very nice guy, intelligent as well, had giagantism (sp?). This condition predisposes him to physical weakness and a lack of coordination. While I respect his ability to overcome this condition, it speaks to the idea that an infirmity of this nature would predispose him to being a poor physical specimen... His boxing skills were ok, but not exceptional...he was physically weaker than the average individual....compensated for, ironickly enough, with his physical largeness/giagantism condition, and he fought weak opposition.
            Ho! Ho! Ho! There was nothing weak about my Nicky, friend. That boy could carry a Volkswagon under his arm like a lunch pail.

Comment

So far, it is no contest. The worst heavyweight champion in history is Tyson Fury. He came in with a perfect record against mediocrities and left with a perfect record against mediocrities. He gave the worst performance that ever won a heavyweight championship, he is only one fight deep, so who else could it be?

Vlad showed he is the limited fighter many of us on here have proclaimed all along. A shameful performance, unable to do anything against someone who was doing nothing. No will, no adaptability, no strategy. That big Doctor of sports science program back home apparently didin't teach ring tactics.

Now the two brother Doctors of sports science can huddle with other wise men of the Ukraine, put their Phd heads together and see if they can figure out that in fights you are supposed to throw punches.

Comment

Ingamar Johansen

Comment

Carnera is the worst linear champ ever.

Comment

Yeah Carnera's up there, as well as Briggs. While talented, I'd put Buster Douglas in the equation as well since, while talented, he didn't live up to his potential and couldn't follow up on his great effort against Tyson, getting lazy and gaining a lot of weight by the time of his next fight with Holyfield.

Comment

The list is missing Andrew Golota, IMO worst heavyweight

Comment

Working...
                      X