No announcement yet.

Hall Of Shame Referee Screw Ups

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall Of Shame Referee Screw Ups

I know there are some doosies out there. We can all list multiple examples. We all have our "favorite" screw ups.

Ironically, the worst screw up I can think of is almost everyone's favorite to watch for action. Tony Weeks should have stopped the fight with Castillo at least twice before fortunes dramatically reversed. By all dictums of his supposed training as a referee, Chico, my own favorite boy, was out. That Weeks' actions changed the results of an already great fight, an important fight, make them more grevious. That his own incompetence was the inadvertant cause of one of the most dramatic finishes in boxing history, an all time fan favorite, is no reason to overlook the simple truth--Weeks screwed up mightily, and the only loser was the man who was supposed to win the fight, Castillo.

This is my own "favorite," though there are plenty to go around. Some may disagree with me, feeling the fact that Chico went on to a KO victory enough vindication for their point of view. If all fights were refereed that way, I would certainly agree with them. It was not some special vision that told Weeks Chico was able to go on, but pure incompetence in a critical situation that led to the fight's continuance. The man was like a chicken with his head cut off exactly at that point in time where his decisions were most critical. There are so few moments where coolness of character is needed by the referee that are so important. Some men crack under pressure. When you need them. It happens all the time.

If I were Tony Weeks I would be watching fights hoping some ref would screw up worse than I did. Well, some screw ups led to deaths. Weeks' screw up didn't do that. By all evidence of the senses, though, Chico should have been dead once Weeks let it go on.

Humberto Soto vs Francisco Lorenzo is among my worst. Not to mention some of Cortez' other fights where he seems desperate to inject himself into the fight any way he can. He had to be the most self important prick I've ever seen in a ring.

Anyway, this fight is painful to watch. It's just one screw up after another. I'll never understand why he felt the need to shove his face into the action so much, and so often, other than to think he just wanted everyone to know who the third man in the ring was. He destroyed that fight before it ended, and then caused the ending by his own stupidity.

The constant jumping in between them, breaking them up for no reason at all, or just getting right up into the action and making it clearly awkward for the fighters was nonsensical. I'm sure Soto threw his last punch simply to get it over with so he didnt have to put up with Cortez leaping in as if about to stop it before they had even gotten to a clinch.

It was like he thought beforehand 'Ok, in this fight I'm going to anticipate their clinches by leaping into the action when they start jabbing in hopes that I'll prevent the clinch from ever happening...and I'll get my face on HBO again as a side bonus'

Comment

Lawrence Cole has had a couple of doozies.

Comment

Richard Steele Chavez vs Taylor

Comment

Two that came to mind are Joey Curtis's early stoppage in Dokes-Weaver and though lesser known, Roger Yanez's late stoppage of the brutal ko of former cruiserweight champion Bernard Benton by Alex Garcia on USA's Tuesday Night Fights.

Comment

i'll always hate jay nady for stopping judah / tzuyu, didn't use any sort of discretion IMO. if that we're smoger, that fight would have gone on.

Comment

Jersey Joe Walcott - Ali vs. Liston 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Richard Steele Chavez vs Taylor
                Another good one. I'd also add Steele in the first Tyson fight with Ruddock. Mike was probably on his way to stopping Ruddock but Steele jumped the gun on that one, prompting a rematch. He also did a pretty crappy job in one of Pacquiao's early fights in the Philippines, where he called a lot of knockdowns slips, until Manny kept scoring knockdowns until the fight was finally stopped with the 3 knockdown rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Another good one. I'd also add Steele in the first Tyson fight with Ruddock. Mike was probably on his way to stopping Ruddock but Steele jumped the gun on that one, prompting a rematch. He also did a pretty crappy job in one of Pacquiao's early fights in the Philippines, where he called a lot of knockdowns slips, until Manny kept scoring knockdowns until the fight was finally stopped with the 3 knockdown rule.
                  I am not a Steele fan. Taylor deserved that win. That fight destroyed his career. He was never the same after that savage beating in a fight he won on points.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    I am not a Steele fan. Taylor deserved that win. That fight destroyed his career. He was never the same after that savage beating in a fight he won on points.
                    I've rehashed that fight a number of times with different posters over the years and I still believe it was the right call. The fight isn't over till the final bell and Taylor couldn't or wouldn't respond to Steele. I was rooting for Taylor in that fight, but it wasn't the stoppage that ruined him, it Was JCC's fists.

Comment

Working...
                    X