Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilfred Benitez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. You really shed some insight. I'm only 25 and try to learn as much as I can.

Off topic, my dad's name is Urbano Velez. He boxed in New York and before that in the Army. If anyone can shed some light on him would be great. Had to be late 60s early to mid 70s.

Comment

Great fighter, very skilled and very good defensive fighter.

There was times in Benitez career if he didn't slip a punch it was a shock.

Beat hall of gamer Cervantes at age 17, youngest champion ever and for me one of the most impressive feats in history.

Lacked discipline and had a rapid decline, usually the case more times than not when you fight at such a high level at such a young age, added with the fact he allegedly had many wars in the gym that knocked a lot of time off his career.
      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 02-09-2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Benitez is the youngest world champion in sports history of boxing. I hope, I'm correct with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
          I was reading about him last night and saw a highlight video. How good was he? Can anyone suggest fights I should check out?

Saw he beat Duran and had a close fight with Hearns. What lead to his decline though?

Thanks in advance.
          Sugar Ray Leonard stopped him. If memory serves me, I believe SRL married Benitez' sister? It was down hill after that.

Comment

The East Harlem connection, benitez was part of Puerto Rico and New York city, his family held sway, mom was the big manager, he had others in the family d who boxed I think. A great technical talent, was able to give a good account of himself against Ray when he had basically partied the days leading up to the fight away....its just what people do in East Harlem!

Excellent fighter, yes Puerto Rican boxing royalty for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              Thanks guys. You really shed some insight. I'm only 25 and try to learn as much as I can.

Off topic, my dad's name is Urbano Velez. He boxed in New York and before that in the Army. If anyone can shed some light on him would be great. Had to be late 60s early to mid 70s.
              Do you know where in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Sugar Ray Leonard stopped him. If memory serves me, I believe SRL married Benitez' sister? It was down hill after that.
                nope may have been the opposite benitez married leonards sister

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  nah, it was benitez who was digging in SRL's sisters guts. no one married, they just dated.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Do you know where in the city?
                    Just found out he worked out at Gleasons Gym in Brooklyn.

Comment

It is always my opinion the Leonard fight should not have been stopped. Leonard would have won a close decision, as it should have been.

It is amazing that the of the best boxers in history at avoiding being punched in the head, is a mess, and guys like Basilio and LaMattoa who seemed to specialize in taking them, have minds as clear as a bell in advanced age.

I did not know he had more brutal wars in the gym than most fighters. That could certainly be germane. I assume the man is punch drunk.

Comment

Working...
                      X