• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bxr2004 View Post
    Out of the three you listed, I would rank them:
    1. Mayweather Jr
    2. Jones Jr
    3. Whitaker

Floyd is the best defensively of the group and probably has had the better career. Floyd also had a higher boxing IQ.

Roy had the Fastest Hands in Boxing History and Power in both hands.

Pernell was probably more complete than both (with the combination Power, Speed, Defense). He was robbed in the Chavez and Dela Hoya Fights.
    I can't make myself think of the Chavez fight as anything other than a win.

Comment

Comparing Jones to Mayweather imo is easy. There was a time when the cult of Roy was not superceded by the cult of Mayweather and Roy was thought of as the most invincible fighter to ever lace them up and nobody could say differently.

The thing is we have to look at Jones at his best. There is a time when fighters fight on and shouldn't. I don't give him a pass for Tarver but after Tarver I think he was shot.

Roy beat better fighters than Mayweather. He did get to Hopkins young, but I think it was legit. Some people say Toney's condition was an issue with making weight..but thats a real slippery slope and the fact is beating Hopkins and Toney before they were past it means something.

Jones was just better than Mayweather in this regard...Mayweather was too selective considering when he fought who, and who he fought...and never beat a prime ATG fighter. Jones had weaknesses, like his chin..if one believes he always had a bad chin, some don't..but his strengths were orders of magnitude. he was faster than Floyd, probably as unhittable in his prime, and had more power per his weight class.

I like Dan's pick of Whitaker because first of all Whitaker was different. Whitaker was so good at what he did that he could use his defensive skills to hit you! So while all 3 guys were great defensive fighters ATG defensive fighters...Whitaker was orders of magnitude above the other two. He made Chavez look like an amateur, for example.

Whitaker's comp was affected by the judges. Its hard to compare for this reason. But heres the thing: Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather are ATG's who might rank in a top 20 for sure and for some maybe a top 10...Whitaker would be in the top 5 regarding defensive fighters and some would say he would be the best. To me this puts him ahead of the other two.

Comment

Pete is the better boxer/fighter he is more complete in all phases.
        Technically he's the best of his era, right now theres Rigo and Chocolatito who also show "complete" skills on a high level.
        Floyd in many ways is right there but his Methodology has had to change
        because of his lack of commitment to offense.
        Roy was taught very well using the boxing styles that the 72 Olympic Team used to have so much success. Hand speed and foot speed along with working in & out and not getting caught inside exchanges. Lateral movement was used for both offense & defense along with ring generalship a page from Ali who got it from Robinson.

I like Pete, he was worth the ticket price and more and Floyd hasn't done that in a long time. Roy can't get any joy from life right now so he stays where he feels he's valuable, shame.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Roy is not retired, but it does not really matter.
          Floyd is supposedly retired.

Out of these three who is...

The Best (how would Roy fare against the greats at 60-75? etc...)
          The Greatest (greatest careers)

Feel free to add your own awards (defense, offense, power, speed, chin, heart, etc), whatever you feel like mentioning, but please stick to these 3 fighters.

NOTE
          I picked these 3 because they were very gifted and skilled fighters. I started after Leonard, because there is a clean break as in there is no overlapping between Pea and SRL and I am left with 3 fighters, which is a good number. I would have ended up wanting to add Duran, and then probably Ali etc...

I left out anyone who was beaten by some of the 3 (so JCC, Hop, Toney, Pac are out)

I understand this selection is arbitrary, but I think I used decent criteria, and I would suggest we keep it about these 3 (Pea, RJ, PBF)!
          I dunno what your last 3 paragraphs mean...are you saying you rank these three higher than the guys they beat?

Anyway, if you're simply comparing the three, I'm gonna take your criteria:
          defense, offense, power, speed, chin, heart,

And start rating those three guys in each category, so here goes -

Defense
          Floyd
          Whitaker
          Distant 3rd is RJJ

Offense
          RJJ
          Distant second is Whitaker
          Floyd

Power
          RJJ
          Floyd
          Whitaker

Speed
          So, this is a weird one, Whitaker takes it in terms of handspeed and combinations, RJJ takes it in terms of both reflexes and single shot handspeed. Mayweather was never as quick as either guy.

Chin
          Floyd
          Whitaker
          Distant 3rd is RJJ

Heart
          Whitaker
          Distant 2nd is Floyd
          RJJ almost doesn't even factor into the argument

2 apiece in terms of the category with Whitaker/RJJ probably tying for speed but factoring in everything, from all round skill set to accomplishments to legacy, Whitaker is the best, then Floyd and the RJJ, who falls behind the two by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Comparing Jones to Mayweather imo is easy. There was a time when the cult of Roy was not superceded by the cult of Mayweather and Roy was thought of as the most invincible fighter to ever lace them up and nobody could say differently.

The thing is we have to look at Jones at his best. There is a time when fighters fight on and shouldn't. I don't give him a pass for Tarver but after Tarver I think he was shot.

Roy beat better fighters than Mayweather. He did get to Hopkins young, but I think it was legit. Some people say Toney's condition was an issue with making weight..but thats a real slippery slope and the fact is beating Hopkins and Toney before they were past it means something.

Jones was just better than Mayweather in this regard...Mayweather was too selective considering when he fought who, and who he fought...and never beat a prime ATG fighter. Jones had weaknesses, like his chin..if one believes he always had a bad chin, some don't..but his strengths were orders of magnitude. he was faster than Floyd, probably as unhittable in his prime, and had more power per his weight class.

I like Dan's pick of Whitaker because first of all Whitaker was different. Whitaker was so good at what he did that he could use his defensive skills to hit you! So while all 3 guys were great defensive fighters ATG defensive fighters...Whitaker was orders of magnitude above the other two. He made Chavez look like an amateur, for example.

Whitaker's comp was affected by the judges. Its hard to compare for this reason. But heres the thing: Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather are ATG's who might rank in a top 20 for sure and for some maybe a top 10...Whitaker would be in the top 5 regarding defensive fighters and some would say he would be the best. To me this puts him ahead of the other two.
            ??? Roy fought some people who Floyd would have got lynched for.

That being said, I am not sure who had the best career. Floyd -longer and more consistent- should take it. But Roy was more impressive. To me Pea has the best win (altough it was a draw).

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              I dunno what your last 3 paragraphs mean...are you saying you rank these three higher than the guys they beat?

Anyway, if you're simply comparing the three, I'm gonna take your criteria:
              defense, offense, power, speed, chin, heart,

And start rating those three guys in each category, so here goes -

Defense
              Floyd
              Whitaker
              Distant 3rd is RJJ

Offense
              RJJ
              Distant second is Whitaker
              Floyd

Power
              RJJ
              Floyd
              Whitaker

Speed
              So, this is a weird one, Whitaker takes it in terms of handspeed and combinations, RJJ takes it in terms of both reflexes and single shot handspeed. Mayweather was never as quick as either guy.

Chin
              Floyd
              Whitaker
              Distant 3rd is RJJ

Heart
              Whitaker
              Distant 2nd is Floyd
              RJJ almost doesn't even factor into the argument

2 apiece in terms of the category with Whitaker/RJJ probably tying for speed but factoring in everything, from all round skill set to accomplishments to legacy, Whitaker is the best, then Floyd and the RJJ, who falls behind the two by quite a bit.
              I was just giving reasons on why discussing these 3 by themselves was a good idea. I also rank all those they beat below them (as much as Toney is my favorite fighter post Hagler, I just have to) but it is my opinion.

I would like to say something in favor of Roy's heart: the last 2 rounds of the 1st Tarver fight.

I also think PBF's offense is better than Pea's, but I see a few people here thinking otherwise, I will watch me some Pea in the not so distant future. I think you and others do not take into account that we don't know how Pea would have fought in his late 30s.

I am thinking Pea's defense is better than PBF, but I think that particular ranking depends on what is defense and what is strategy/iq/control. Perhaps I would make a more precise statement by saying that I think Pea has the best defensive moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Pete is the better boxer/fighter he is more complete in all phases.
                Technically he's the best of his era, right now theres Rigo and Chocolatito who also show "complete" skills on a high level.
                Floyd in many ways is right there but his Methodology has had to change
                because of his lack of commitment to offense.
                Roy was taught very well using the boxing styles that the 72 Olympic Team used to have so much success. Hand speed and foot speed along with working in & out and not getting caught inside exchanges. Lateral movement was used for both offense & defense along with ring generalship a page from Ali who got it from Robinson.

I like Pete, he was worth the ticket price and more and Floyd hasn't done that in a long time. Roy can't get any joy from life right now so he stays where he feels he's valuable, shame.

Ray
                Can you explain what you mean by methodology?

Comment

On the Toney-Jones fight. Normally I would call weight excuses for what they are. Excuses. But Toney's track record shows he could eat and dehydrate his way into horrible performances. So I will buy that from Toney (and also from Duran). I still rank RJ> Toney, and think the outcome would still beat Rj UD12, but no that was not the real Toney. IMO. But I love Toney.

Comment

Pea has better defense and offence than Mayweather wth are u guys on

Comment

Here's the real rankings in case anyone was wondering.

1. Floyd May
                      2. Roy Jones
                      3. Per Nell

Comment

Working...
                      X