No announcement yet.

Leonard V McLarnin rare footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard V McLarnin rare footage

This is footage I never knew existed, awesome, I thought there was only one film of Benny Leonard, sure he is getting swamped and beat up but hey, it is Jimmy mClarnin... I love this and McLarnin is a monster here.... How do you guys rate these two on your ATG list ?????
    Last edited by McGoorty; 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM.

Leonard gets caught early and downed but for a while after that he starts boxing beautifully, his footwork is great but his reflexes ain't what they used to be, MCLarnin throwing some wild bombs manages to land enough and the end isn't pretty for 36 year old Leonard but to see him at all is a bonus, a shame there isn't more footage of this great boxing master. Gotta love McLarnin, he is a guy who entertains the crowds, you had to be like that in those days, if the audiences hate you, you are going broke and hungry now matter how good you are.
    Last edited by McGoorty; 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

In the 6th and final round, a left hook shakes Benny but it isn't until a minute or so later the big trouble begins with a fantastic right to the body which seems to really hurt Leonard, then the right hook that follows is a cracker and then Jimmy smelling blood finishes Leonard with a barrage of punches.... this was a terrific fight.
      Last edited by McGoorty; 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Here is an excellent video analysis of Benny Leonard. your thoughts on this film ?

Comment

Leonard retired in 1924, but he lost nearly every penny he had in the Wall Street crash in 1929.

He made a comeback in 1931 and fought 20 low level opponents in the next 12 months before facing a real challenge and fellow ATG in McLarnin. Make no mistake. The Leonard McLarnin beat was a shell of his former self.

Comment

Good stuff... 3 round you can see Leonard's skill really shine..

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              Leonard retired in 1924, but he lost nearly every penny he had in the Wall Street crash in 1929.

He made a comeback in 1931 and fought 20 low level opponents in the next 12 months before facing a real challenge and fellow ATG in McLarnin. Make no mistake. The Leonard McLarnin beat was a shell of his former self.
              Yeah I am with you, I love watching McLarnin,, an excitement machine, exactly what the sport is crying out for now,, oh man he would make more money than Moneyweather today, he would be a superstar all due to the value he gives fans.. As I said I am with you, I would go as far to say that Leonard in his prime not only beats McLarnin but beats him by a mile, Jimmy's face would have been messed up by the end of that fight.. the speed and reflexes are gone, just compare the fight to the excellent video by Wyllie1........ surely that is the best analysis of any old time boxer ever, you can see the genius of Leonard, this guy would have been champion I think in any era, just simply he was so frustrating for opponents, he was beatable, all the ATG's are, we are humans, that means a good shot can turn any fight and good shots can catch anybody.

Comment

as said in his prime Leonard would have been a very different fighter...nice match. I was a little bugged by the continual rabbit shots to the back of leanard's head, but he didn't complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  as said in his prime Leonard would have been a very different fighter...nice match. I was a little bugged by the continual rabbit shots to the back of leanard's head, but he didn't complain about it.
                  Ah yeah McLarnin was rough and tumble for sure and not above doing a bit of the foul stuff, but this was an era where this was commonplace. Leonard didn't complain because the refs then would just ignore him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                    This is footage I never knew existed, awesome, I thought there was only one film of Benny Leonard, sure he is getting swamped and beat up but hey, it is Jimmy mClarnin... I love this and McLarnin is a monster here.... How do you guys rate these two on your ATG list ?????
                    Not a great example of Leonard, considering he was almost a decade passed his best, in his mid 30s and very slow. In my personal ATG list (which is in the process of being edited): http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=608842

I had the ghetto wizard in at 5.

Comment

Working...
                    X