Collapse
No announcement yet.

the cruiser weight division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was committed to a boxing fanzine in the early 1980s, we rarely considered what the WBC was up to (we considered it a filthy org, and I still do …)

But the fanzine, which ratings only featured the original eight divisions, welcomed the WBC’s cruiserweight division, as a move from becoming a lt. heavy to a heavy was way out of line.

And noticed that the recently desist publication Boxing Digest also included cruiser to the original eight in its rankings.

If we think of the those eight, and as men have grown bigger since John L. Sullivan’s days, the most needed weight class to be added is cruiser.

Unfortunately, cruiserweight is still looking for its fair recognition. It won’t probably come until a very dominant cruiser says he’s satisfied with staying in the division and ain’t tempted to cross the 200 lbs border.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
      When I was committed to a boxing fanzine in the early 1980s, we rarely considered what the WBC was up to (we considered it a filthy org, and I still do …)

But the fanzine, which ratings only featured the original eight divisions, welcomed the WBC’s cruiserweight division, as a move from becoming a lt. heavy to a heavy was way out of line.

And noticed that the recently desist publication Boxing Digest also included cruiser to the original eight in its rankings.

If we think of the those eight, and as men have grown bigger since John L. Sullivan’s days, the most needed weight class to be added is cruiser.

Unfortunately, cruiserweight is still looking for its fair recognition. It won’t probably come until a very dominant cruiser says he’s satisfied with staying in the division and ain’t tempted to cross the 200 lbs border.
      I can see the possibility of cruisers eventually being equal to lightheavies. But the money for heavyweights will always be considerably more.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I can see the possibility of cruisers eventually being equal to lightheavies. But the money for heavyweights will always be considerably more.
        So true.

But I hope the next 190 lbs star would defend his reputation rather than eating anything similar to 240 lbs Wlad’s jabs for the extra bucks.

Bob Foster was one of the greatest light heavies, but if you google his name on youtube, his losses against Frazier and Ali immediately pops up. Ain’t fair but so it is.

Comment

On a slight historical note, in Britain we used to call the light-heavyweight division the cruiserweight division. I think this goes all the way back to when the National Sporting Club established their original 8 divisions. I don't know when British boxing fans stopped calling it that.

Freddie Mills is referred to as a cruiserweight champion in this British Pathe newsreel from 1947.

Comment

Speaking of which, after checking his record recently, I see Roy Jones has been fighting at cruiserweight for the past 4 years overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Speaking of which, after checking his record recently, I see Roy Jones has been fighting at cruiserweight for the past 4 years overseas.
              roy is the uncrowned king of cruisers at the moment

Comment

There's this new kid Andrew Tabiti who's a cruiserweight, if he keeps his mind right I see him bringing a lot of attention to cruiserweight division since he's being promoted by Mayweather promotions, he's a fine fighter and I expect him to accomplish a lot in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                  So true.

But I hope the next 190 lbs star would defend his reputation rather than eating anything similar to 240 lbs Wlad’s jabs for the extra bucks.

Bob Foster was one of the greatest light heavies, but if you google his name on youtube, his losses against Frazier and Ali immediately pops up. Ain’t fair but so it is.
                  And that is such a shame considering how great of a fighter Bob was

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
                    There's this new kid Andrew Tabiti who's a cruiserweight, if he keeps his mind right I see him bringing a lot of attention to cruiserweight division since he's being promoted by Mayweather promotions, he's a fine fighter and I expect him to accomplish a lot in boxing.

He isn't going anywhere in the CW division. Mediocre fighter in a talent rich division.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      He isn't going anywhere in the CW division. Mediocre fighter in a talent rich division.
                      Maybe Tabiti hasn't proven himself yet but i believe he has what it takes, speed power generalship and size.

Just because the guy in ur sig still didn't win a world title, doesn't make it a tough division, if Marco Huck is the champ this means it's not so tough to become one.

Comment

Working...
                      X