Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Picks Greatest Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagler was a rough fighter. He was not dirty, he just treated you roughly all the time. His body was made of black marble and the shores of his coastline were hard enough to break a man up.

Monzon was similarly rude to ring company. There is some gamble to picking Monzon over Hagler, as there is gamble to picking any middleweight over Robinson, but I have done both.

Leaving the latter alone for the moment, it is obvious that Marvin's ledger reads better than Monzon's for competition. Marvin fought a who's who of all time greats and notable contenders, Monzon had a decent but not great ledger. We did not see him defeat a battery of the variety and dimensions that Marvin faced.

Writing this, I almost convince myself to switch back to Marvin. Then I remember Marvin's great weakness and Monzon's greatest strength. Monzon always fights the fight he wants to, and Marvin is susceptible to allowing this. Ring generalship was Marvin's one notable weakness and Monzon's major asset. Monzon will not give in and allow a fight he does not control. The thought insults him. When you look for inner meanness that must control and might die to control, Monzon seems to fit the bill. I am gambling on that spirit rather than Marvin's greater experience in the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I will take late 70s early 80s Hagler over anyone...
      Hagler would not make my Top 10.. slow, small, limited boxing ability, limited punch-power, padded resume.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Hagler was a rough fighter. He was not dirty, he just treated you roughly all the time. His body was made of black marble and the shores of his coastline were hard enough to break a man up.

Monzon was similarly rude to ring company. There is some gamble to picking Monzon over Hagler, as there is gamble to picking any middleweight over Robinson, but I have done both.

Leaving the latter alone for the moment, it is obvious that Marvin's ledger reads better than Monzon's for competition. Marvin fought a who's who of all time greats and notable contenders, Monzon had a decent but not great ledger. We did not see him defeat a battery of the variety and dimensions that Marvin faced.

Writing this, I almost convince myself to switch back to Marvin. Then I remember Marvin's great weakness and Monzon's greatest strength. Monzon always fights the fight he wants to, and Marvin is susceptible to allowing this. Ring generalship was Marvin's one notable weakness and Monzon's major asset. Monzon will not give in and allow a fight he does not control. The thought insults him. When you look for inner meanness that must control and might die to control, Monzon seems to fit the bill. I am gambling on that spirit rather than Marvin's greater experience in the trenches.
        I agree on the Monzon assessment. The one I think he'd have the biggest difficulty with is Roy Jones. This is my perception. It's tough to back up given the fact that Jones's record at MW is shallow.

How do you see Monzon deal with Jones's speed, awkeardness?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I agree on the Monzon assessment. The one I think he'd have the biggest difficulty with is Roy Jones. This is my perception. It's tough to back up given the fact that Jones's record at MW is shallow.

How do you see Monzon deal with Jones's speed, awkeardness?
          Good question, because Monzon was speed-deficient, it was his weak area. Carlos would have to punch while being punched to solve this one. It would take a special toughness to endure Jone's power to land his own. I would count on his toughness. Jones punches harder, Monzon has a better chin. They are able to knock each other out. It would come down to whether he was able to land anything for all his efforts. He will have to punch every time Jones moves forward, without waiting for him to do anything. If you waited for Jones to do something, it happened too fast to react efficiently. Firefight. Monzon had a great defense, but I think his offense would have to be his defense in this fight. If he can hit while being hit, I feel he should win, due to more heart and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Hagler would not make my Top 10.. slow, small, limited boxing ability, limited punch-power, padded resume.
            Where did you pull padded resume from, your bung? Why will you not even find one poster to agree with you?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              Lmao.... I don't even know what to say

Comment

I am the only vote for Greb!!!

So so bad!

What the **** boys!

Comment

Hagler nailed on top 3 middle of all times.

Fact. Stone cold fact.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMELESS View Post
                    I am the only vote for Greb!!!

So so bad!

What the **** boys!
                    Well, when contemporary lads can only pick one candidate, fighters from ninety years ago of whom there is no surviving fight tape do not get many votes.

The fact that Greb is still a perennial on most top 5 lists on the sheer force of apocrypha alone, is pretty impressive in itself. I mean, even Fitz and Langford have surviving film of them in action. But not poor old Harry. It was a double curse levied on him. He went blind and the world went blind on him.

I give the man his props. He is strictly a mythical character, and manages to survive not only better than most but near the top. The training film of him shows a champ hardened for battle. Fighting twelve rounders would be easy for him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post

Brilliant Post Lefty. Monzon had the arrogance and will of a Spanish conquistador. And one of his strengths was his ability to make you fight his way.

Comment

Working...
                      X