Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why todays era is better than past eras. Discussion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    yes definatly didn't even Brock Lesnar at 300 pounds when in the NFl run a 4.4 or something? I would think the records are broke.

Here are some top times and no one of the distant past really is on it.....

4.24 Rondel Menendez 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Wide receiver Eastern Kentucky 1999 #247 overall by Atlanta Falcons

4.24 Chris Johnson 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Running back East Carolina 2008 #24 overall by Tennessee Titans

4.26 Jerome Mathis 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 184 lb (83 kg) Wide receiver Hampton 2005 #114 overall by Houston Texans

4.26 Dri Archer 5 ft 8 in (173 cm) 173 lb (78 kg) Running back Kent State 2014 #97 overall by Pittsburgh Steelers

4.27 Stanford Routt 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 193 lb (88 kg) Cornerback Houston 2005 #38 overall by Oakland Raiders

4.27 Marquise Goodwin 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 181 lb (82 kg) Wide receiver Texas 2013 #78 overall by Buffalo Bills

4.28 Champ Bailey 6 ft 0 in (183 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Cornerback Georgia 1999 #7 overall by Washington Redskins

4.28 Jacoby Ford 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 190 lb (86 kg) Wide receiver Clemson 2010 #108 overall by Oakland Raiders

4.28[11] J. J. Nelson 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 156 lb (71 kg) Wide receiver UAB 2015 #159 overall by Arizona Cardinals
    4.28 DeMarcus Van Dyke 6 ft 1 in (185 cm) 187 lb (85 kg) Cornerback Miami 2011 #81 overall by Oakland Raiders

4.29 Fabian Washington 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 188 lb (85 kg) Cornerback Nebraska 2005 #23 overall by Oakland Raiders

4.29 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 184 lb (83 kg) Cornerback Tennessee State 2008 #16 overall by the Arizona Cardinals

4.29 Josh Robinson 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 199 lb (90 kg) Cornerback UCF 2012 #66 overall by Minnesota Vikings
    4.30 Darrent Williams 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 176 lb (80 kg) Cornerback Oklahoma State 2005 #56 overall by Denver Broncos

4.30 Tye Hill 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 185 lb (84 kg) Cornerback Clemson 2006 #15 overall by St. Louis Rams

4.30 Yamon Figurs 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 174 lb (79 kg) Wide receiver Kansas State 2007 #74 overall by Baltimore Ravens

4.30 Darrius Heyward-Bey[12] 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 210 lb (95 kg) Wide receiver Maryland 2009 #7 overall by Oakland Raiders

The most recent modern one is at # 4 on that list...todays athletes in general would be faster. this thread coinside with the other thread you made are athletes/fightersbigger? the answer is yes I refuse to argue nonsense when that's clear as day with the other guy on there...Weight classes are spread out more today obviously,looking at the same weight classes ,fighters in general are more beefed up for sure on average. Heavyweights being the biggest comparison where you once had 160 pound HW champs now you have 250 ones...really its not logical to argue that the time periods have always progressed with bigger stronger athletes in general.
    Do you think they'd outrun the past players?

Comment

• Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      Do you think they'd outrun the past players?
      Giving those speeds I just posted...yea...its also a faster game now with the less physical contact to players and more penalties involved for unesccessary roughness....who is the best/fastest runner combined is just opinion.overall they are faster today.

Comment

• Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
        All day every day
        Futch, Steward, and Arce are objectively better trainers than Hunter. Nobody can say otherwise.

Like I said, Futch built Frazier, Bowe, and Michael Spinks from the ground up. Steward built Hearns from the ground up. Also, Futch trained Larry Holmes and Marlon Starling looked better under his tutelage. Steward basically rebuilt Wlad and Lewis.

Not only can I not name any fighter that Hunter built from the ground up other than Ward, the fighters he trained looked WORSE under his tutelage, such as Angulo and Mares.
        Last edited by VG_Addict; 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          Futch, Steward, and Arce are objectively better trainers than Hunter. Nobody can say otherwise.

Like I said, Futch built Frazier, Bowe, and Michael Spinks from the ground up. Steward built Hearns from the ground up. Also, Futch trained Larry Holmes and Marlon Starling looked better under his tutelage. Steward basically rebuilt Wlad and Lewis.

Not only can I not name any fighter that Hunter built from the ground up other than Ward, the fighters he trained looked WORSE under his tutelage, such as Angulo and Mares.

Very true the trainers you listed boxers got better with ..With trainers today the seem to regress .

Funny but in the first Oliver McCall fight where beat LL Ateard was in his corner after that he became LL's trainer and look where he went after that.

Comment

• BoxRec is an excellent quick reference tool - I use it daily, but it's historical data can often be very patchy.

I have fallen into the routine of cross-checking old newspaper reports with BoxRec, to establish defined locations and boxers record at time of contest - whilst a good majority are there, smaller events are completely absent or only a single contest from card is listed.

My example for today is from 1940's. Spent some time looking more in-depth into particular fighters and came across an interesting boxer, so followed his career path.

Four contests from the first card I read an article on are missing from BoxRec records, this means eight boxer records are incomplete.

What percentage of bouts do we allow for missing data?

Comment

• Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
              BoxRec is an excellent quick reference tool - I use it daily, but it's historical data can often be very patchy.

I have fallen into the routine of cross-checking old newspaper reports with BoxRec, to establish defined locations and boxers record at time of contest - whilst a good majority are there, smaller events are completely absent or only a single contest from card is listed.

My example for today is from 1940's. Spent some time looking more in-depth into particular fighters and came across an interesting boxer, so followed his career path.

Four contests from the first card I read an article on are missing from BoxRec records, this means eight boxer records are incomplete.

What percentage of bouts do we allow for missing data?
              What makes you think boxrec would be unaware of these fights? Perhaps illegal fights but not definitively in the public eye as illegal?

Comment

• Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                What makes you think boxrec would be unaware of these fights? Perhaps illegal fights but not definitively in the public eye as illegal?
                The bouts were certainly legal.

One contest on a card is but four others are not?

As I stated BoxRec is excellent but like everything has flaws.

Comment

Records are always broken,a sighn that athletes are better...remember we have also better equipment ,but I think overall it wouldn't matter.
                  Then why have records not been broken in boxing for years, some decades?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Then why have records not been broken in boxing for years, some decades?
                    What records are to be broken in boxing? Its amatter of winning or losing ,not how fast you run or how many points you score or balls you catch or how much you lift . You have quick footed 6'9 giants ,guys who fight until 50 and so forth today ...Ali looked like an old man by mid 30's ,most past fighters best days pre 90's were about 31 . Boxings about the L or the W.
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-21-2015, 06:25 AM.

Comment

What records are to be broken in boxing? Its amatter of winning or losing ,not how fast you run or how many points you score or balls you catch or how much you lift .
                      I think you've really answered that question yourself, going by your logic;

- How many punches was landed in a fight
                      - How many punches was landed in a round
                      - How many punches dodged in a round
                      - How many punches dodged in a fight
                      - How many powerpunches was thrown in a round
                      - How many powerpunches was thrown in a fight
                      - How fast a world title fight was over
                      - How fast a regional title fight was over

I could keep going...

Comment

Working...
                      X