Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Fernando Vargas put in with Tito too early?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Fernando Vargas put in with Tito too early?

I have often heard that Fernando Vargas fought Trinidad too soon...Would he have gotten better results had he been given ample time to develop & mature...

Thoughts...

Originally posted by f15bone View Post
    I have often heard that Fernando Vargas fought Trinidad too soon...Would he have gotten better results had he been given ample time to develop & mature...

Thoughts...
    A lot of people say that but I don't think so. Vargas was as ready as was ever going to be and I think it was wise to take the fight when they did.

Even though I thought Vargas should have lost a close decision to Winky Wright, he was battle tested at that point.

Comment

Vargas seemed to be peaking and it looked like the right fight at the time. While Vargas was good enough to be competitive with Trinidad. I just think he was a level below him and that waiting wouldn't have made much difference.

Comment

Tito would have always beaten him no matter what stage of vargas' career. But I do think he was put in there too early.. It would similar to putting Canelo in with ggg...
        I would have milked vargas alittle longer before cashing him out..

Comment

Yeah but I think Tito would've beat him at any point in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
            Yeah but I think Tito would've beat him at any point in his career.

Well Beercules......If anyone disputes this point just kindly ask to use their testicles as a speed bag like Trinidad did to Nando.

Comment

I have thought about this very issue with Nando so freakin many times....I can't decide because its like greek trajedy. It seemed like they were feedin Nando right....the right mix of stiffs and gatekeepers. Then Trinidad really did him dirty and nando fell hard.

I can't second guess them, I recall how careful they seemed to be. But at the same time it as a little bit like Cotto who when he first faced a real boni fide puncher, had a rough time. Torres hurt Cotto and Trinidad seemed to permanently destroy Nando. Both guys were brooders, but Cotto may have had the mental tools the where-with-all to come back from some rough times.

I don't like to think Nando was weak psychologically, but it seems like sooner or later he was going to have to face a banger. I never cared for nando much but can relate because of how Salidad did Juan Ma...one of my faves. Its too bad, the guy looked very promising truth be told.

Comment

I might be the only one but I thought so. Maybe Vargas was more ready than the 14-0 David Reid but I like to see fighters get more experience before they jump into a super fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  I might be the only one but I thought so. Maybe Vargas was more ready than the 14-0 David Reid but I like to see fighters get more experience before they jump into a super fight.
                  Im in the fence. its certainly logical to think he was too inexperienced. When Aristotle defined a trajedy he made its form depend on when the leading character has a fatal flaw, despite superb character otherwise, that does the character in....NOthing imo describes the Nando trajedy better!

Nando was brought along well, and actually developed some chops and polish but there was ONE thing that got him in trouble and that was the desire to occasionally slug it out. When he slugged it out with a real puncher (Tito) all the polish and skills went down the drain. When Cotto got in trouble with Torrez he backed off a bit and actually later down the line he learned to box. When Juan Ma was balls to the wall he tried to slug it out with a slugger...Its a common event in the square circle. The question will always be: Could Nando have overcome this with more experience?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Well Beercules......If anyone disputes this point just kindly ask to use their testicles as a speed bag like Trinidad did to Nando.
                    That's true. It has nothing to do with him eating vicious left hooks over and over

Comment

Working...
                    X