No announcement yet.

Natural cruisers vs heavyheavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
    Look at sanders weight on boxing rec. he was almost a cruiser in the early part of his career and when he did hit around 225 he was fat. He could have easily trimmed back a few and been in the cruiserweight division. Brewster was pretty lite as well earlier in his career and he was a cruiser in the amateurs. Most of the best heavies are boxers who could have made cruiserweight at some point, even Wlad was a cruiser in the amateurs to accomodate Vitali. Cruiserweights are NOT small like most people assume, it's quite common for cruisers to go up to 230lbs when they're not fight and trimming down in camp. In fact usyk (someone who I think could become an atg) was up at 250lbs and he made the cruiser limit!
    When he was in top condition Brewster was 225. That's not a cruiserweight. Sanders was a big guy and 225 would be an ideal weight for him. I just don't see how anyone could realistically think that they could cut to 200 lbs once they reached their peaks. Amateur weights are irrelevant when you are talking about growing boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      When he was in top condition Brewster was 225. That's not a cruiserweight. Sanders was a big guy and 225 would be an ideal weight for him. I just don't see how anyone could realistically think that they could cut to 200 lbs once they reached their peaks. Amateur weights are irrelevant when you are talking about growing boys.
      Most of the time I would discredit amateur weights but Lamon Brewster was 23 when he turned pro, he already reached close to his max size by then but had he turned pro around 20 there's no doubt he could have been fighting in the cruiserweight division. Corrie sanders was always lazy -

http://images.mid-day.com/2012/sep/wladimir.jpg

Look at this picture and tell me he couldn't have lost around 20 pounds and it benefiting him.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
        Most of the time I would discredit amateur weights but Lamon Brewster was 23 when he turned pro, he already reached close to his max size by then but had he turned pro around 20 there's no doubt he could have been fighting in the cruiserweight division. Corrie sanders was always lazy -

http://images.mid-day.com/2012/sep/wladimir.jpg

Look at this picture and tell me he couldn't have lost around 20 pounds and it benefiting him.
        Some people don't have the genetics to look great even when their in decent shape. I think Sanders and Brewster would be too weak if they had tried to make cruiserweight after the point in their careers where they were able to fight at the top level. Brewster at 23 wasn't even close to that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Some people don't have the genetics to look great even when their in decent shape. I think Sanders and Brewster would be too weak if they had tried to make cruiserweight after the point in their careers where they were able to fight at the top level. Brewster at 23 wasn't even close to that level.
          Brewster at 23 weighted in at 221 in his entire career the heaviest he ever weighed was 16 pounds above that and that was when he was just fat and lazy. Contrast that to other heavyweights who easily put on 30 pounds from the beginning to the end of their career due to getting muscular and more fatter lazy on. Brewster started at 221 if his best was 225 that's only 4 pounds more! He must have been almost fully grown by 23. youd have to imagine that 3 years earlier he would have been pretty comportable in the cruiserweight division. I realise not everyone can be a david haye or ken nortan or anthony Joshua etc but surely you at least look lean for your fights like sanders should have, he literally looks more like a golfer then a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
            Theres been lots of threads about if fighters from the past could compete with todays heavyweights and to be honest im still undecided so what are the best examples of cruiserweights or naturally small heavyweights where the size of the fighters dint matter against a much heavier fighter, where speed, skill or punching power was enough to ko the bigger guy, making his size a non factor. Is 200 pounds really the cut off limit for a fighter to compete against much heavier fighters? I know furys not the best out there and hasn't the best chin but hes still a very large heavyweight that can box pretty well and has taken shots off much larger heavies and it took a small fast cruiser steve Cunningham to knock him down. Joe Louis looked a lot more nimble against his fight with Primo Carnera. Anyone know any better examples?
            and a lot of these so called cruisers basically only trained for stamina. Joe Louis had a hell of a lot bigger fists than David haye and a much larger head. He could have been anywhere from 195-235 it all depends on how he trains. At 200 lbs though, he was a killing machine.

I myself walk around at 140 lbs, I could bulk to 175...you think that makes me a lhw? haha

A lot of these heavyweights these days are carrying extra weight. Even in the past, Norton was one of the first "lifters" he went from his natural prime weight of 205 all the way to 230 ripped to shreds, looking worse each time as he put on weight. Foreman and Norton weighed damn near the same when they fought, Foreman was clearly stronger and bigger.

Comment

Working...
            X