No announcement yet.

Where does Roy Jones rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Roy Jones rank?

Where would you rank Roy Jones all time?

Top 50 for sure. After that, it's really a guessing game. I'd like to say Top 25 but I haven't written down a list and pored over research to confidently declare that. But I do know that at his peak I'd probably pick Jones against anyone and, while his resume is missing some names, there are still plenty on there. His accomplishments are extremely impressive and he was the premiere fighter in the sport for about 10 years, not a small time period. Will be interesting to see where he, Hopkins, Mayweather and Pacquiao end up on the all-time list some 20 years from now.

Comment

Pretty damn high..

Based on h2h he is top 10, in terms of resume he is around top 50... Combination of the 2 and I think roy is a top 25 atg

Comment

I think Roy is top 30 quite easily.

Comment

Not sure, but I think most people are basing it on his fighting abilities instead of just his accomplishments. I've seen people rank him very very high.

Comment

For debate sake..

I don't know how you can have roy jones ahead of Michael spinks..

Spinks dominated the most stacked lhw division in history and actual dethroned the real heavyweight champ, and an atg one I might add, not some random paper champ like ruiz..

Roy's' list of opponents from 88-03 is pathetic, especially his run from the toney fight to the ruiz... There is a long list of viable opponents, foreign and domestic that somehow roy never fought yet he had time for Vinny paz, Brannon, byrd, etc..

Roy never took chances, and avoided all threats and fellow champs, unless they were crap Titlists..

Mw- fought an unknown club fighter for a vacant belt instead of fighting any of the top guys that were champs,, never unified or defended vs any top guy

168- toney was his only true big fight he ever had in his prime, roy needed that fight to become a legit star,, once he attained that status and got his hbo contract, roy fought bum after bum for a decade.. this division was extremely loaded at the time yet roy can't only fight Vinny paz and byrd and Brannon.. Makes floyd Mayweather blush and say "damn you a cherry picker"

175- just faded names and subpar opponents, weak Titlists, Roy basically fought no one

Heavy- one fight vs one of the slowest and worst paper champs ever

Then after roy gets knocked out a few times, and is desperate for spotlight, he fights all sorts of big names..

People on here always criticize floyd and calzaghe for cherry picking, but roy is just as blatant if not worse, yet no ones talks about it...

Truly, go look at his list of opponents when roy was at his peak 94-03 and look at the names between the toney and ruiz fight.. It's pathetic knowing that this guy was the p4p #1 fighter with exciting style, with the hbo hype machine behind him.. It's pathetic..
            Just look at Roy's opponents from 94-03 and then look at Oscar de la Hoyas, amd tell me who has fought a schedule worthy of atg ranking and who fought cherrypicks

Comment

Compare Roy's opponents from 93-03 with the opponents faced by fellow greats of the time like
              Lennox Lewis
              Oscar
              Trinidad

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Compare Roy's opponents from 93-03 with the opponents faced by fellow greats of the time like
                Lennox Lewis
                Oscar
                Trinidad
                Lewis fought better opponents than Roy Jones?

Comment

UG
                  Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  For debate sake..

I don't know how you can have roy jones ahead of Michael spinks..

Spinks dominated the most stacked lhw division in history and actual dethroned the real heavyweight champ, and an atg one I might add, not some random paper champ like ruiz..

Roy's' list of opponents from 88-03 is pathetic, especially his run from the toney fight to the ruiz... There is a long list of viable opponents, foreign and domestic that somehow roy never fought yet he had time for Vinny paz, Brannon, byrd, etc..

Roy never took chances, and avoided all threats and fellow champs, unless they were crap Titlists..

Mw- fought an unknown club fighter for a vacant belt instead of fighting any of the top guys that were champs,, never unified or defended vs any top guy

168- toney was his only true big fight he ever had in his prime, roy needed that fight to become a legit star,, once he attained that status and got his hbo contract, roy fought bum after bum for a decade.. this division was extremely loaded at the time yet roy can't only fight Vinny paz and byrd and Brannon.. Makes floyd Mayweather blush and say "damn you a cherry picker"

175- just faded names and subpar opponents, weak Titlists, Roy basically fought no one

Heavy- one fight vs one of the slowest and worst paper champs ever

Then after roy gets knocked out a few times, and is desperate for spotlight, he fights all sorts of big names..

People on here always criticize floyd and calzaghe for cherry picking, but roy is just as blatant if not worse, yet no ones talks about it...

Truly, go look at his list of opponents when roy was at his peak 94-03 and look at the names between the toney and ruiz fight.. It's pathetic knowing that this guy was the p4p #1 fighter with exciting style, with the hbo hype machine behind him.. It's pathetic..
                  Just look at Roy's opponents from 94-03 and then look at Oscar de la Hoyas, amd tell me who has fought a schedule worthy of atg ranking and who fought cherrypicks

So you're just going to disregard the Hopkins fight because he was unknown? Jones and Hopkins were considered the two best middleweigts in the world at the time. Don't rewrite history. So who exactly would you have liked to see Jones fight for the middleweight title? I'll wait for names.

If Jones fought anybody else other than Hopkins I'm certain the consensus would have been "Jones ducked Hopkins." You're also contradicting yourself. In one sentence you claim Jones never fought other belt holders unless they were crap. But you criticize him for fighting Hopkins who was better than the belt holders at the time. You're also wrong that Jones never defended against a top guy. Thomas Tate was a " top guy" who Jones knocked out brutally one fight before moving up for James Toney.

How long did Hopkins go unbeaten after that? Jones dominant wins over world champions like Reggie Johnson who wasn't a " crap titleist?" KO win over Virgil Hill? Or what about dominating and knocking out Malinga?

I wish the DM fight had happened though. But I don't rate Jones with fighters like Spinks at 175.

I'm not going to go through his whole resume but as soon as you called Hopkins just a club fighter I knew you were going to denigrate Jones entire resume no matter who it was. Contrary to your belief, Jones dominated a lot of top fighters.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 01-25-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

As a Lightheavy he would be in the top twenty somewhere.
                    All time considering all the weight classes probably top one hundred!
                    Great talent and skill level but not a great fighter, very good boxer.
                    Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X