No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Yeah, Chavez had already made his legacy by that time.

He was clearly in decline. A peak Chavez never would have lost to Frankie Randall and that happened two years before the first Oscar fight.
    He still almost didn't. The judges tried to bail Chavez out again, like they did against Whitaker, but two lost points for low blows plus a knockdown in one round made the difference on one of the scorecards to give Randall a 1 point win.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Anybody in boxing with over 90 fights still fighting greats then and now?

OK then, time to change U BigBoy trainers!

Do you actually think those 90 fights were tough? Hence the reason why he was able to do it.

There was a time Chavez was fighting every 6-7 weeks. Those were sparring sessions basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
        Do you actually think those 90 fights were tough? Hence the reason why he was able to do it.

There was a time Chavez was fighting every 6-7 weeks. Those were sparring sessions basically.
        - -U too sissy to understand fighters being oldschool.

Got any pics of U Dollie collection?

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post

Non title defenses, thing of the past, unfortunately. Whether those non title defenses were tough fights or not, and most likely weren't, but it says something to me about Chavez and his skills as many great fighters would, at some point in 90 fights, very likely run into some punch they don't see, and when you don't see it and it lands and, well, bad things can happen. It never happened to looong into that streak. Plus, a fight is a fight. Even if some aren't what you think of as tough, that dude on the other side of the ring from you, he is still going to try and throw punches at you, and he is going to land some of them too, and regardless of the divide in skills, a man hitting you isn't gonna feel good by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            He still almost didn't. The judges tried to bail Chavez out again, like they did against Whitaker, but two lost points for low blows plus a knockdown in one round made the difference on one of the scorecards to give Randall a 1 point win.
            I'm not in disagreement with your view that Whitaker won. This is intended to show an example of American opinions on boxing matches not being the end all, be all...well, if the judges are American in a fight, technically my statement there is incorrect, but, anyhow. Watching Sky Sports broadcast of Chavez vs Taylor 2 and fairly surprised when hearing, I believe it's Ian Darke, and former lightweight champion Jim Watt, mention how the Chavez vs Pernell Whitaker draw got the American boxing media up in arms, all bent outta shape, but they came across as very genuine when saying that they felt the draw to be very fair, at least to the point that they were surprised to see such a huge, negative reaction on account of the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
              I'm not in disagreement with your view that Whitaker won. This is intended to show an example of American opinions on boxing matches not being the end all, be all...well, if the judges are American in a fight, technically my statement there is incorrect, but, anyhow. Watching Sky Sports broadcast of Chavez vs Taylor 2 and fairly surprised when hearing, I believe it's Ian Darke, and former lightweight champion Jim Watt, mention how the Chavez vs Pernell Whitaker draw got the American boxing media up in arms, all bent outta shape, but they came across as very genuine when saying that they felt the draw to be very fair, at least to the point that they were surprised to see such a huge, negative reaction on account of the decision.
              It often comes back to the argument: Do you like the marital art of boxing, or like to watch a fist fight?

RE Chavez-Taylor I: Two of the judges had Taylor ahead of Chavez before the KO yet does anyone actually believe that Taylor was beating Chavez in that "fight."

Chavez was breaking Taylor up and likely altered Taylor's career thereafter.

I am not sure what you mean by "end all" but I believe what was missing in the Whitaker fight was a "decision." -- Not the judges scorecards but us the fans coming away from the fight believing the issue was settled. We didn't! That's why the draw seemed OK, it should have spawned a rematch.

You can argue that Whitaker deserved the decision (out boxed Chavez) but you come back to that feeling that no one won the "prize fight."

Comment

- -Pea prob was he clowned when he shoulda been showin' some class.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
                  I 'm generally a pretty big fan of Chavez but there is no way he won the Whitaker fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                    It often comes back to the argument: Do you like the marital art of boxing, or like to watch a fist fight?

RE Chavez-Taylor I: Two of the judges had Taylor ahead of Chavez before the KO yet does anyone actually believe that Taylor was beating Chavez in that "fight."

Chavez was breaking Taylor up and likely altered Taylor's career thereafter.

I am not sure what you mean by "end all" but I believe what was missing in the Whitaker fight was a "decision." -- Not the judges scorecards but us the fans coming away from the fight believing the issue was settled. We didn't! That's why the draw seemed OK, it should have spawned a rematch.

You can argue that Whitaker deserved the decision (out boxed Chavez) but you come back to that feeling that no one won the "prize fight."
                    Yes, I believe Taylor was landing more punches and winning the first fight against Chavez. Most people do, it's not a radical thing to say. It was closer than most casuals believe though and the scorecards reflect that.

Comment

Whomever says Chavez was overrated doesn’t know a thing about boxing. It’s true a lot of his fights were not against household names but for all those who have actually stepped in the ring, that’s a lot of times to be laced up. All respects to Chavez. If anything he was underrated. He always came to fight and unlike today’s fighters, not run around the ring!

Comment

Working...
                      X