• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Dempsey Louis and Marchiano were Heavyweghts not Cruiserweights

I remember reading in one of Dempseys autobiographies
    him stating he needed to lose like 25 pounds to make ideal fighting weight
    I think for Gibbons fight..
    I also thought how Moore in his fight with Marchiano
    i think weighed 2-3 more pounds at weighin then Rocky..Even though he weighed more he was not aconsidered a natural heavy
    like Rocky was considered..Not as strong even though same weight

People say they are criuserweights today,,but they were heavys who trained to be at what they considered their best fighting weight
    Dempsey could have trained to enter the ring at 200 pounds but he didnt ,,wouldn't have made him stronger his speed is what made 225 lbs and up guys get their asses whipped..Nobody said Jack this guy has 40 pounds on you we need to bulk you up
    They probably said this guy has 25 lbs on you we need to get you under 200 pounds otherwise you will be to slow

Joe louis was best at 197lb not cause he couldn't
    make 210 pounds but because he trained what his best fighting weight was..The idea thinking any 6'6" 250 pound guy is a lock on the championship has been tried more then once but never worked because thats to big after a certain point it causes a negative effect on things like speed balance agility
    to say today Louis would be a 225lb guy not a 197lb one..He could of been 225 back then but that would impede him and not made his chances against 240lb Baer more competitive..
    They trained to lose that 20-30 pounds ..slim down n..ot bulk up..
    Interesting how they didnt need a cruiserweight division back then..

Back then they trained to go hard for round after round. Most boxers today struggle to get to 12 rounds let alone 15.

Comment

And that was a more physical era of boxing too, so all the more reason to bulk up. In theory, that is.

Comment

All three of these guys carried dynamite power to overcome any size advantage they encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
          I remember reading in one of Dempseys autobiographies
          him stating he needed to lose like 25 pounds to make ideal fighting weight
          I think for Gibbons fight..
          I also thought how Moore in his fight with Marchiano
          i think weighed 2-3 more pounds at weighin then Rocky..Even though he weighed more he was not aconsidered a natural heavy
          like Rocky was considered..Not as strong even though same weight

People say they are criuserweights today,,but they were heavys who trained to be at what they considered their best fighting weight
          Dempsey could have trained to enter the ring at 200 pounds but he didnt ,,wouldn't have made him stronger his speed is what made 225 lbs and up guys get their asses whipped..Nobody said Jack this guy has 40 pounds on you we need to bulk you up
          They probably said this guy has 25 lbs on you we need to get you under 200 pounds otherwise you will be to slow

Joe louis was best at 197lb not cause he couldn't
          make 210 pounds but because he trained what his best fighting weight was..The idea thinking any 6'6" 250 pound guy is a lock on the championship has been tried more then once but never worked because thats to big after a certain point it causes a negative effect on things like speed balance agility
          to say today Louis would be a 225lb guy not a 197lb one..He could of been 225 back then but that would impede him and not made his chances against 240lb Baer more competitive..
          They trained to lose that 20-30 pounds ..slim down n..ot bulk up..
          Interesting how they didnt need a cruiserweight division back then..
          I completely agree, these guys didnt lift weights and bulk either. they were naturally big and strong. big heads and wrists. This is why a lot of modern heavies shrink down to their natural size after fighting and a lot of older HW's actually blew up in size. Nothing replaces natural strength and size. Although holy did a good job of fitting in.

Comment

Louis also knocked out plenty of 250lb men as well...

Comment

In before Elroy (HWeightblogger) spams the thread with dozens of posts "proving" 30 extra pounds of lard around the waist makes for a better fighter :hahahaha9:

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Back then they trained to go hard for round after round. Most boxers today struggle to get to 12 rounds let alone 15.
                Modern nutrition, training and supplements doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
                  In before Elroy (HWeightblogger) spams the thread with dozens of posts "proving" 30 extra pounds of lard around the waist makes for a better fighter :hahahaha9:

Tik tok, he's coming.

Comment

I completely agree with you op. Also back in the day you never had this rehydration bs so you pretty much entered the ring at what you weighed earlier in the day

Comment

Working...
                    X