No announcement yet.

Where have the Lightweights gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have the Lightweights gone?

The 135lb division is one of the most prestigious in all of boxing, boasting a list of champions as great as the likes of Gans, Benny Leonard, Armstrong, Angott, Ortiz, Duran, Whitaker and Chavez.

The latter two are probably the last truly great fighters to hold the LW crown and have a sustained run in the division. Yes the future HOFer Mayweather held a title in the division but he doesn't quite touch the greatness of the other names and the division was more of a stop gap for him, while the likes of Corrales and Castillo weer exciting but far from great.

What has happened? Why has this division lost so much of it's glory? Is it because more fighters are now campaigning at SFW and LWW? I seem to see that trend, with the division now being used as a springboard into the more lucrative 140lb limit. It's sad, and I hope a new breed of LW rises up.

Any comments?

Well Gamboa just fought there so if he could keep winning at that weight class, I could see it at least gaining a little bit more excitement.

Comment

It is definetely sad, that the deepest of all divisions doesn't carry the prestige it once did. I think it is because of the added weightdivisions and because of fighters wanting to become champions in several of them.

So fighters in those divisions separated by only a couple of cheeseburgers or a solid crap, is sadly just passing through. Instead of giving divisions a proper shine, they give multiple championships and alphabetbelts credence and credibility.
      Last edited by BattlingNelson; 04-23-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        It is definetely sad, that the deepest of all divisions doesn't carry the prestige it once did. I think it is because of the added weightdivisions and because of fighters wanting to become champions in several of them.

So fighters in those divisions separated by only a couple of cheeseburgers or a solid crap, is sadly just passing through. Instead of giving divisions a proper shine, they give multiple championships and alphabetbelts credence and credibility.
        Pretty much how I see it too. The lightweight division has become a trampoline into the higher paid ranks of light welter and welter.

However, I do agree that if Gamboa can stay at lightweight, have some fights and maybe have that Garcia match up, the division could light up again for a little bit.

Comment

All divisions go through cycles, the division is simply in a slump at present, although there are some signs it might be moving out of it now. The division was good only a few years ago. There is also an element of the welterweights at present having some of the biggest money makers in the sport so inevitably that draws fighters up in weight to where the money is.

The division is also not helped that perhaps the two best in the division ,Vazquez and Abril, are just extremely boring to watch.

Comment

It's just temporarily in a down period.

Comment

Like others have said,, its a combination of guys going jumping around divisions and not campaigning at one like they have done in the past

Also think its just a down time for the 135 division, but those things are cyclical.. Now welter division is on fire but 10 years ago it sucked with just judah and spinks there, margs was on the fringe...

Lightweights were pretty bad in the shane mosely era,, He was the only thing to talk about from 95-99.....

LightHeavy has also had its share of weak times

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                All divisions go through cycles, the division is simply in a slump at present, although there are some signs it might be moving out of it now. The division was good only a few years ago. There is also an element of the welterweights at present having some of the biggest money makers in the sport so inevitably that draws fighters up in weight to where the money is.

The division is also not helped that perhaps the two best in the division ,Vazquez and Abril, are just extremely boring to watch.
                I agree with all of this. I'd be surprised if the lightweight division doesn't look entirely different 18 months from now. It may possibly be even worse, but it will be different.

Comment

Simple answer: the money is just North of it (at 140... 147)...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Like others have said,, its a combination of guys going jumping around divisions and not campaigning at one like they have done in the past

Also think its just a down time for the 135 division, but those things are cyclical.. Now welter division is on fire but 10 years ago it sucked with just judah and spinks there, margs was on the fringe...

Lightweights were pretty bad in the shane mosely era,, He was the only thing to talk about from 95-99.....

LightHeavy has also had its share of weak times
                    Yep, as I alluded to, the last truly great lightweight champions of any consequence who actually spent some time in the division were Chavez and Whitaker. The early part of the 00s had Corrales, Castillo and co. but none of those fighters were great.

And I totally disagree with you about the welterweights, the entire 21st century has been a great time for 147, Judah and Spinks as you mentioned but also Williams, Margarito, Cotto, Mosley for much of the 00s, now Floyd, Pac, Bradley, JMM and revitilised with the youth of Porter, Thurman, possibly Brook and who knows, Khan, Garcia, Matthysse and Provodnikov in the years to come.

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    Simple answer: the money is just North of it (at 140... 147)...
                    Yeah, totally, the money divisions are 140 and 147 now, which is sad cos I think a lot of fighters at 140 would probably feel more comfortable at 135 and make it a more diverse division.

Comment

Working...
                    X