No announcement yet.

Where have the Lightweights gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaron.king View Post
    This is it, in a nutshell. These things are cyclical, of course. 175 and 160 were **** holes for a number of years, but are hot at the moment.
    Yeah, divisions being good or bad are cyclical but the LW division has been laying dormant for almost 2 decades now. Mosley was a brief spark and although Corrales/Castillo were entertaining fighters, they weren't great and won't be spoken about in generations to come when talking of top, top, superior, elite lightweights.

Middle was in the doldrums for about 10 years, but even then there were sparks with Tito, Hopkins and DLH, all competing at the weight, leading into the generation of Pavlik, Taylor, Winky and Martinez.

Looking at 135 now, I can't see a decent name that can take the division to great heights, not for miles.

Comment

Their are still a few talented dudes there-Abril/Crawford/Vasquez but they are boring to watch and not ticket sellers,and their simply isn't the strength in depth in the division anymore

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        Looking at 135 now, I can't see a decent name that can take the division to great heights, not for miles.
        Mikey Garcia could. If he stays there and doesn't get lured up to higher weights for bigger paydays.

I also really liked Robert Guerrero at that weight but he too was enticed to leave for greener pastures.
        Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
          Their are still a few talented dudes there-Abril/Crawford/Vasquez but they are boring to watch and not ticket sellers,and their simply isn't the strength in depth in the division anymore
          Very true. The idea of them fighting each other is particularly unappealing, even if it would unify the titles.

Comment

Working...
          X