Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where have the Lightweights gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have all the lightweights gone? Sounds like that would make a good folk song.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Yep, as I alluded to, the last truly great lightweight champions of any consequence who actually spent some time in the division were Chavez and Whitaker. The early part of the 00s had Corrales, Castillo and co. but none of those fighters were great.

And I totally disagree with you about the welterweights, the entire 21st century has been a great time for 147, Judah and Spinks as you mentioned but also Williams, Margarito, Cotto, Mosley for much of the 00s, now Floyd, Pac, Bradley, JMM and revitilised with the youth of Porter, Thurman, possibly Brook and who knows, Khan, Garcia, Matthysse and Provodnikov in the years to come.

Yeah, totally, the money divisions are 140 and 147 now, which is sad cos I think a lot of fighters at 140 would probably feel more comfortable at 135 and make it a more diverse division.
      Reread my post,, I said that the welter division as been the hot division, since Floyd hit the scene in 2006.. Ten years ago when it was just Judah and spinks, the division really sucked, but by 2006 it got a lot better with Floyd, margs, Williams,

Comment

They dropped off dramatically. The last p4p lightweight that made it on the list as a lightweight was Castillo I think. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
          They dropped off dramatically. The last p4p lightweight that made it on the list as a lightweight was Castillo I think. Sad.
          JMM was on the list when he was beating casamoyer, diaz, etc.... but yeah its only been jmm and castillo over the last 10 years,,,,

I think crawford, vasquez and abril have potential to make the list if they can land big fights between them...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            JMM was on the list when he was beating casamoyer, diaz, etc.... but yeah its only been jmm and castillo over the last 10 years,,,,

I think crawford, vasquez and abril have potential to make the list if they can land big fights between them...
            Marquez was on the p4p list before he was ever a lightweight if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
              Marquez was on the p4p list before he was ever a lightweight if I recall.
              Yeah, correct, but he is still the last champ at 135 that was on the list.. I cant think of anyone else....

Comment

Broner................

Comment

up to welterweight for the money.

de la hoya did it, and then lured everybody else up there. mosley did it. mayweather is there now. manny is there for the money. marquez left 135 for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

de la hoya did it, and then lured everybody else up there. mosley did it. mayweather is there now. manny is there for the money. marquez left 135 for the money.
                    This is it, in a nutshell. These things are cyclical, of course. 175 and 160 were **** holes for a number of years, but are hot at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Ray Leonard at welter. Benitez, Duran

Though Duran apologists will say it's because he was lazy. I just think he hated Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                      X