No announcement yet.

Marciano, Walcott and Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    According to Gil Clancy, once you get close to 200 pounds it doesn't make any difference. When these guys hit you they can get you out of there.
    It’s a good thing Ingemar Johansson’s predictions from 1960s haven’t come true. He was convinced that future heavies would be so strong, they were going to kill each other with one punch.

Comment

People talk like Wladimir is a hard puncher and has a better chin because he is bigger. If Wladimir didn't juice in the amateurs he would be like Carl Williams. I agree Marciano and Walcott would have a hard time with Wladimir but they very well could have knocked him out too. How can we tell, because guys like Povetkin didn't... seriously!!

Comment

All those men have a chance of knocking out Lewis or Wlad, simply because their chins just aren't the best. Walcott and Charles may well be in the line for a stoppage of their own and Marciano may go down on cuts.

Size matters in a sport like boxing but skill also has a part to play and Wlad's skills aren't on the level to match either Walcott or Charles and his chin isn't durable enough.

Lewis may have the required skill set but again, his chin lets him down and the fact that he can spend large chunks of fights being inactive and ineffectual. Marciano especially would capitalise on it, he'd jump right into the action and make Lewis work every inch of the ring.

Vitali on the other hand may be a different story .He isn't as all rounded as the other 2 but he hits harder and has a granite chin. I'm not sure if any fighter in the history of boxing can stop him. I think he'd beat all three champs from the 50s, Charles might have the best chance of outpointing him but I'm not sure if he can take the power.
        Last edited by MisterHardtop; 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Not only would they struggle,they would lose badly....but that is not how it
          works...a fighter is judged on opponents he fought in his era..period!
          As I posted before,Ray Mercer for example would probably destroy many
          of the top 10 Heavyweight greats,but that does not make him a top 10
          all time great.

Comment

Originally posted by toooooool View Post
            all time great.
            What a foolish post. More wrong with this post, you could not find.

Comment

Originally posted by toooooool View Post
              all time great.
              Mercer was a solid heavyweight - but he usually came in way overweight. I think he might have beaten LL if he came in 30 pounds lighter. His endurance would have been greatly improved as well as his foot speed and ability to slip more punches - all while keeping the vast majority of his power.

I don't see Mercer beating Foreman, or Ali, he would give Frazier a good fight, Sonny Liston would beat him, Patterson would be an interesting fight (Mercer can definately win this one), and I think a Marciano fight would be interesting; he would lose to walcott who would school him; Joe Louis would take him easily as would Tunney; it would be interesting to see him against Dempsey (probably be a Hagler-Herns) or more appropriately a Dempsey- Firpo. And Johnson would school Mercer.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                Mercer was a solid heavyweight - but he usually came in way overweight. I think he might have beaten LL if he came in 30 pounds lighter. His endurance would have been greatly improved as well as his foot speed and ability to slip more punches - all while keeping the vast majority of his power.

I don't see Mercer beating Foreman, or Ali, he would give Frazier a good fight, Sonny Liston would beat him, Patterson would be an interesting fight (Mercer can definately win this one), and I think a Marciano fight would be interesting; he would lose to walcott who would school him; Joe Louis would take him easily as would Tunney; it would be interesting to see him against Dempsey (probably be a Hagler-Herns) or more appropriately a Dempsey- Firpo. And Johnson would school Mercer.
                Look man..Mercer was a 220 lb Olympic Gold Medalist that hit like a truck.
                Mercer would beat Tunney,Dempsey,Johnson,Marciano,Liston,Patterson,
                and probably Louis...BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE'S GREATER THAN THOSE
                GUYS..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  All of those guys would be taking some serious punishment too. Tyson and Tua were owned by Lewis. And if we're being honest, Walcott wasn't wasn't nearly as big as Frazier, Tua, or Tyson, and supplements wouldn't change that.
                  Your way off Scott....Your analysis of size is way off at least. I don't know how you can say Walcott was not as big as Frazier. Tua is a physical oddity BTW and Tyson was the average size for a decent heavy. Clancey is right, after about 200 or so its almost academic, and there is more to size than just weight. Certainly Walcott was the size of a guy like Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                    Yes. I agree regarding Walcott and Charles. They didn't have enough pop to take out today's heavyweights - especially fighting with today's rules.

Of all the big heavyweights of the last 20 years only LL and Riddick Bowe would have done well in the earlier eras. (I'm not saying that they would be champions only that I think they had the ability and will to go far.)

Look how well a 37 year old Evander did against LL and how well Ray Mercer did. (If Mercer was in 1951 shape he would have come in at 205-210 or less and, in my opinion, would have done better, probably win the fight.)

I don't see WK doing well if he went back in time. He would not be able to clinch and he would be forced to fight. I think that Marciano would take him deep and that WK would have a harder time against Walcott and Charles than many people think. If WK wins we will have finally seen his best come out.

Think about it - how often does WK hook to the body? He doesn't. Doing so would bring his head in range to an overhand right (assuming a left to the body). Facing someone with a bob and weave would force WK lower than he wants and clinching would result in him losing points, being DQed and, as Ray pointed out, not being able to land more fights.

This era is not that good. I mean, I can't believe that Tyson Fury is a top rated heavyweight? WTF?
                    Very well said and many people think Mercer won that fight. Those big bad Klits? can't even fight to the body!! What exactly would they do when an agile determined, skilled little heavyweight started to punch them inside to the body?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                      All those men have a chance of knocking out Lewis or Wlad, simply because their chins just aren't the best. Walcott and Charles may well be in the line for a stoppage of their own and Marciano may go down on cuts.

Size matters in a sport like boxing but skill also has a part to play and Wlad's skills aren't on the level to match either Walcott or Charles and his chin isn't durable enough.

Lewis may have the required skill set but again, his chin lets him down and the fact that he can spend large chunks of fights being inactive and ineffectual. Marciano especially would capitalise on it, he'd jump right into the action and make Lewis work every inch of the ring.

Vitali on the other hand may be a different story .He isn't as all rounded as the other 2 but he hits harder and has a granite chin. I'm not sure if any fighter in the history of boxing can stop him. I think he'd beat all three champs from the 50s, Charles might have the best chance of outpointing him but I'm not sure if he can take the power.
                      Think about what you are saying regarding Vitali ok? this is a guy who cannot even go to the body and he is going to beat virtually any other heavy on the strength of his chin and punch....really? This is a guy who couldn't fight with a shoulder injury BTW and he is going to take Marciano's body attacks? And this is a guy who lost to Lewis, Lewis who does not have the best beard of the heavyweights took his punch and other guys won't?

I mean seriously?

Comment

Working...
                      X