• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00 View Post
    i think charles was stronger then Patterson

maybe not by much but i've never heard patterson to have a great punch
    but Charles i've heard a decent punch
    ________
    Glass pipe
    I always said that Ezzard Charles punching power was underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      While I doubt Marciano would have ever been a Heavyweight BEFORE WWII, I KNOW Floyd would not have been

Floyd couldn't take a punch well. Marciano could punch well. To say the least.
      Before WW2??? Keep in mind, back then, HW started at 176 pounds. Patterson and Marciano would have been full fledged heavues before WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        Before WW2??? Keep in mind, back then, HW started at 176 pounds. Patterson and Marciano would have been full fledged heavues before WW2.
        Thanks for the heads up. That was a typo. I meant to say "Champion". (Though even that's possibly incorrect). I post from my phone, which is ehy my posts are riddled with typos and incomplete sentences. Especially now that I'm a full time teacher, again... no free time these days.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
          Wishful thinking. Regardless of who won, it would be a tough fight for both men.
          Hard to say.

Patterson was almost like Dempsey on the attack. Charles always had himself in the line of fire. Lesser men than Patterson troubled Charles.

I would say Charles had the better chin, was the better defensive Boxer, and had better combination punching, I'd even suggest he had the quicker reflexes.

But what REALLY separates him from Floyd is his legacy. Charles was the best of his era, Patterson was clearly not. But that's not really a fair comparison is it? And it's not at all reflective of how a fight between them might unfold.

Charles isn't Ingo or Quarry (even if they weren't at their best when Floyd beat them). Probably he makes a fight of it, but it's hard to imagine Patterson never being in control.

Comment

Working...
          X