Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocky Marciano vs Floyd Patterson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles was very strong for his size and could really punch, don't kid yourself. He had everything but killer instinct and he only lost that after he killed a man in the ring. Ezzard was that good of a boxer and fighter. He really was a cobra poised to strike at any opportunity: sleek, lethal, and with nerves of steel.

Ezzard Charles harks from a forgotten time in boxing when men were STUDENTS of the game and came up slowly developing their skills gradually in front of small audiences before moving up to the big time. They weren't rushed to become main event fighters like nowadays. The competition was fierce, the skill level was several notches above what you see today. When you compare the skills of Charles, Walcott, Moore, LaStarza, etc to everyone in the heavyweights except for James Toney, it's a joke. P4P Charles would slaughter any of the heavyweights alive today and even at 190 pounds he would give these brutes hell.

Boxing is about having a mastery over many small skills. It's not about being faster or hitting harder. Give me the quickest and most powerful man of all time, put him in there with a master like Charles, and he would get countered into a timid shell within a minute. Charles was an absolute master of various boxing skills. He was a counter puncher who could move, feint, slip, parry, handled himself in a clinch, fought well on the inside etc. When you compare Patterson to that, Floyd is just a forward moving puncher/stalker with decent reflexes, a paper mache chin, and great athleticism.

I just don't see the tiny edge in power (if any) and moderate edge in handspeed offsetting all of the skills Charles possessed in his arsenal as well as his cool, level headed relaxed mentality when fighting. Also it's not as if Patterson had the strength and determination of Marciano. You're making him out to be a tank when he would be the one having to look out for Charle's quick, fluid combinations.

I just don't see Patterson beating him bar a fluke left hook. If they fight fight ten times, I'd give 9 to Charles. Marciano beat Charles because he was incredibly strong for his size, hit a ton with every punch, and had the determination to walk through a hail of punches just to sneak in a punch. Patterson doesn't possess the qualities he'd need to take Patterson. Couldn't outfox him like Walcott, couldn't outslug him like Marciano. No, I just don't see it as being probable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
      Charles was very strong for his size and could really punch, don't kid yourself. He had everything but killer instinct and he only lost that after he killed a man in the ring. Ezzard was that good of a boxer and fighter. He really was a cobra poised to strike at any opportunity: sleek, lethal, and with nerves of steel.

Ezzard Charles harks from a forgotten time in boxing when men were STUDENTS of the game and came up slowly developing their skills gradually in front of small audiences before moving up to the big time. They weren't rushed to become main event fighters like nowadays. The competition was fierce, the skill level was several notches above what you see today. When you compare the skills of Charles, Walcott, Moore, LaStarza, etc to everyone in the heavyweights except for James Toney, it's a joke. P4P Charles would slaughter any of the heavyweights alive today and even at 190 pounds he would give these brutes hell.

Boxing is about having a mastery over many small skills. It's not about being faster or hitting harder. Give me the quickest and most powerful man of all time, put him in there with a master like Charles, and he would get countered into a timid shell within a minute. Charles was an absolute master of various boxing skills. He was a counter puncher who could move, feint, slip, parry, handled himself in a clinch, fought well on the inside etc. When you compare Patterson to that, Floyd is just a forward moving puncher/stalker with decent reflexes, a paper mache chin, and great athleticism.

I just don't see the tiny edge in power (if any) and moderate edge in handspeed offsetting all of the skills Charles possessed in his arsenal as well as his cool, level headed relaxed mentality when fighting. Also it's not as if Patterson had the strength and determination of Marciano. You're making him out to be a tank when he would be the one having to look out for Charle's quick, fluid combinations.

I just don't see Patterson beating him bar a fluke left hook. If they fight fight ten times, I'd give 9 to Charles. Marciano beat Charles because he was incredibly strong for his size, hit a ton with every punch, and had the determination to walk through a hail of punches just to sneak in a punch. Patterson doesn't possess the qualities he'd need to take Patterson. Couldn't outfox him like Walcott, couldn't outslug him like Marciano. No, I just don't see it as being probable.
      i think marciano would ko patterson, but if the fight by some strange reason went the distance, then patterson would get the nod.

Comment

That's where you're wrong. Anybody that goes the distance with Rocky is bound to get knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by osamabinwayne
          That's where you're wrong. Anybody that goes the distance with Rocky is bound to get knocked out.
          no i mean if the fight went the full 15 rounds and no one was knocked out, then patterson would win a ud.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            no i mean if the fight went the full 15 rounds and no one was knocked out, then patterson would win a ud.
            yea thats probably true, only way that wouldn't be true is if Rocky knocked him down in more then 7 rounds and let me tell you if you get knocked down by rocky 3 times and get up you got heart, there's a chance rocky could win on points but Patterson's more flasy then Rocky, so i'd say IF it went the distance Patterson would probably win but i can't see this going past round 8 at most

Rocky wins by ko 5thish
            ________
            AVANDIA HEART ATTACK
            Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

patterson was notorious for having a weak chin.............end of discussion if he was to face the Rock

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
                yea thats probably true, only way that wouldn't be true is if Rocky knocked him down in more then 7 rounds and let me tell you if you get knocked down by rocky 3 times and get up you got heart, there's a chance rocky could win on points but Patterson's more flasy then Rocky, so i'd say IF it went the distance Patterson would probably win but i can't see this going past round 8 at most

Rocky wins by ko 5thish
                it would take a little longer than that.

Comment

i'm not sure i know Marciano was a slow starter and Patterson would box him but those blows would catch up to him, most of his KO's were before the 9th round and most of them tried to box him as well and they were probably as strong or stronger then patterson so i'd move it up say at least 6 no more then 9
                  ________
                  Pattaya realty

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
                    i'm not sure i know Marciano was a slow starter and Patterson would box him but those blows would catch up to him, most of his KO's were before the 9th round and most of them tried to box him as well and they were probably as strong or stronger then patterson so i'd move it up say at least 6 no more then 9
                    IMO, patterson would be the best opponent he has ever fought in his career, so it would be tough. a ko in about nine, cause of patterson's weak chin.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                      IMO, patterson would be the best opponent he has ever fought in his career, so it would be tough. a ko in about nine, cause of patterson's weak chin.
                      Patterson really wouldn't be the best he'd probably be the biggest name fighter he ever fought though

because when you think about it besides being the youngest heavyweight champ (before tyson) he didnt' do anything that big

beside lose to ali
                      ________
                      SynxXxRaine cam

Comment

Working...
                      X