No announcement yet.

My rankings: lightweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Shane Mosley could be included in a top 20 list I would say.
    Looking good against mediocre opposition shouldn't be enough to get you in the top 20. It's the lightweight divison not Super-Middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
      Looking good against mediocre opposition shouldn't be enough to get you in the top 20. It's the lightweight divison not Super-Middleweight.
      No I agree.

Actually thought he beat ODLH at lightweight, just noticed now it wasn't.

Other than that, his wins over Molina and Holiday were decent. Perhaps not enough to get him in there. I do think he's one of the stand out lightweights of the last 20 years though.

Comment

No I agree.

Actually thought he beat ODLH at lightweight, just noticed now it wasn't.

Other than that, his wins over Molina and Holiday were decent. Perhaps not enough to get him in there. I do think he's one of the stand out lightweights of the last 20 years though.
        Yeah he did look awesome at 135

Comment

Great stuff. Have a hard time seeing Whitaker over Williams though. That era was just a murderer's row of lightweights and welters

Comment

Leonard clearly has the best resume at lightweight and I can't ignore that.

All those other guys you mentioned have better resumes at other weights. Henry Armstrong was the hardest to leave out because he was awesome at 135. For a lot of his early welterweight title reign he weighed in as a lightweight. I count those wins on his welterweight resume though. Is actual reign as lightweight was not overly impressive.
            I guess it just depends on your criteria- resume or h2h

Me personally I think resume gets you into the conversation, without a resume you can't be considered, but at the end of the day I look at who could beat who and benny would get beat by Ortiz, Duran, pernell IMO

Comment

That is a very good list, I think I'd have Duran top it though.

Benny Leonard, Gans and co are all great picks, however I think I might rank them slightly differently.

Also, Castillo shouldn't really be up there, for me he is just outside the top 20 but he fought some great fights. It's interesting that the lightweight division has become relatively weak in recent years and has become a stepping stone to light welter or welter.

Comment

What about some of the other lightweights from he 80s like camacho, Mancini, Chavez, Rosario etc,,,, what do u think of them

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  What about some of the other lightweights from he 80s like camacho, Mancini, Chavez, Rosario etc,,,, what do u think of them
                  Mancini had a great heart, he was a worthy champion and a boxer who is impossible not to like, but lightweight is a stacked division and he wasn't really close to cracking my top 20.

Chavez didn't compete long enough in the divison for me to consider at all.

Rosario, I think of as an exciting fighter who came up short against his toughest foes. Is that being harsh? I may have to boxrec his record to check I haven't been unfairly dismissive.

As for Camacho, he's the guy from this era that I nearly put in. He didn't stick around the divison for long, but he packed a lot of quality in a short space of time. Good wins against Rosario and Ramirez.

Comment

Leonard clearly has the best resume at lightweight and I can't ignore that.

All those other guys you mentioned have better resumes at other weights. Henry Armstrong was the hardest to leave out because he was awesome at 135. For a lot of his early welterweight title reign he weighed in as a lightweight. I count those wins on his welterweight resume though. Is actual reign as lightweight was not overly impressive.
                    Isn't this the same thing I was saying about Greb and why he wasn't in my LHW list?
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 03-21-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Shane Mosley could be included in a top 20 list I would say.
                      If he is it would be near the bottom.

Likely not in the list though because his lightweight resume is frankly very poor.

Comment

Working...
                      X