13.Bob Montgomery, USA
    14.Battling Nelson, Denmark
    15.Joe Brown, USA
    16.Barney Ross, USA
    17.Esteban De Jesus, Puerto Rico
    18.Ken Buchanan, UK
    19.Jose Luis Castillo, Mexico
    20.Ismail Laguna, Panama

Good list but I would have Benny at 5 and move everyone up a spot... I think h2h he is a level below the others..

Ortiz, Duran, pernell,,,, then gans, Benny,

What about Floyd, Armstrong, arguello, Chavez,

Comment

If Castillo on there, jmm should get consideration,,, he beat lineal champ casamoyer, and top contenders katsidis and Juan Diaz, and stopped all 3... I think he deserves a ranking somewhere in 16-20 range

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        If Castillo on there, jmm should get consideration,,, he beat lineal champ casamoyer, and top contenders katsidis and Juan Diaz, and stopped all 3... I think he deserves a ranking somewhere in 16-20 range
        Katsidis sucks, Casamayor was washed up, Marquez resume isn't near top 20 and he didn't look all that at lightweight either.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          Katsidis sucks, Casamayor was washed up, Marquez resume isn't near top 20 and he didn't look all that at lightweight either.
          He stopped the lineal champ, stopped #1 contender, stopped former champ Diaz,,

Not saying it's some great resume but very comparable to Castillo...Castillo was there a little longer and had more name fights there, but jmm came into the division and beat the top 3 guys by stoppage.. That's at least deserves some consideration

Comment

He stopped the lineal champ, stopped #1 contender, stopped former champ Diaz,,

Not saying it's some great resume but very comparable to Castillo...Castillo was there a little longer and had more name fights there, but jmm came into the division and beat the top 3 guys by stoppage.. That's at least deserves some consideration
            Not really, it was an exceptionally weak lightweight era, Castillo was the best of a very strong. Those 3 you mentioned (take into consideration the version of Casa) wouldn't be top fighters in Castillo era.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
              Not really, it was an exceptionally weak lightweight era, Castillo was the best of a very strong. Those 3 you mentioned (take into consideration the version of Casa) wouldn't be top fighters in Castillo era.
              That's true, I won't debate that the eras are vastly different,mi just think jmm is a great fighter.. How u think jmm would have done in that early 2000s era with Castillo, Stevie, Floyd corrales, spadafora, Lazcano, Julio Diaz, casamoyer

Comment

That's true, I won't debate that the eras are vastly different,mi just think jmm is a great fighter.. How u think jmm would have done in that early 2000s era with Castillo, Stevie, Floyd corrales, spadafora, Lazcano, Julio Diaz, casamoyer
                No doubt he overall better and greater than Castillo but not at lightweight. Its pretty difficult to gauge how good lightweight Marquez was, he struggled with all those top fighters he fought. I think he'd beat Lazcano, Diaz and Spaddy, I imagine he'd have a foty fight with Corrales and probably clearly lose to the rest.

Comment

Good list but I would have Benny at 5 and move everyone up a spot... I think h2h he is a level below the others..

Ortiz, Duran, pernell,,,, then gans, Benny,

What about Floyd, Armstrong, arguello, Chavez,
                  Leonard clearly has the best resume at lightweight and I can't ignore that.

All those other guys you mentioned have better resumes at other weights. Henry Armstrong was the hardest to leave out because he was awesome at 135. For a lot of his early welterweight title reign he weighed in as a lightweight. I count those wins on his welterweight resume though. Is actual reign as lightweight was not overly impressive.

Comment

Shane Mosley could be included in a top 20 list I would say.

Comment

Working...
                    X