Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate retired modern era heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
    Vitali is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. His resume doesn't show, but h2h he'd beat any man in history. That's a fact you don't like to hear, knowing you wear rose tainted glasses. Do you know Vitali was kickboxing world champion before his boxing career? The man is a natural born fighter.
    Benny just wrote that he rated Vitali much higher than what boxrec does, so there's no use to pick a fight when I'm sure there is none.

And Benny is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz;14325692[B
      ]Vitali is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. His resume doesn't show, but h2h he'd beat any man in history. That's a fact you don't like to hear, knowing you wear rose tainted glasses. Do you know Vitali was kickboxing world champion before his boxing career? The man is a natural born fighter.

If his resume doesn't show it, what are you basing this opinion on? Fantasy?

No, it's not a fact because it never happened. Vitali didn't even beat the best opponents in his own era. Those are the true "facts" that you'll have to accept whether you see everything in Klitschkovision or not.

Comment

If this turns into a Vitali thread It'll be gone soon, so please stay on topic from now on.

Comment

Holyfield is way above the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            If this turns into a Vitali thread It'll be gone soon, so please stay on topic from now on.
            Sorry, but Vitali is a part of this topic. This turned into a Vitali debate as soon as Weltschmerz posted in it. If you don't want this to turn into a Vitali thread you can start with him and 90 percent of his other post.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Sorry, but Vitali is a part of this topic. This turned into a Vitali debate as soon as Weltschmerz posted in it. If you don't want this to turn into a Vitali thread you can start with him and 90 percent of his other post.
              I did start with him.

Comment

Yeah Holyfield would clearly be the top one on this list. Vitali would be the only other noteworthy heavyweight because of his period of dominance. Only his first loss really hurts his legacy, as he did want to continue fighting in his second one and had too bad a cut to do so.

Comment

I'd have Holyfield in my top 10 I think. Remarkable fighter.

Vitali can rank anywhere from 14/15-20. His resume is not strong enough to put him in top 15, but I rank him closely to someone like Bowe, who had more talent and a better resume, but ultimately had a short career at the top.

Vitali has longevity on his side.

As for the others, they don't rank in my book at all.
                  Last edited by LacedUp; 03-14-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
                    Where do you rate these modern era heavyweights who have retired in the past few years?

Evander Holyfield (BoxRec #11)
                    Vitali Klitschko (BoxRec #38)
                    Hasim Rahman (BoxRec #90)
                    Chris Byrd (BoxRec #101)
                    Nicolay Valuev (BoxRec #140)
                    David Haye (BoxRec #151)
                    Sam Peter (BoxRec #160)
                    John Ruiz (Boxrec #168)
                    Lamon Brewster (BoxRec #189)

The numbers change over time. The all-time rankings only include boxers who have retired. For example, if some of Vitali Klitschko's opponents like Odlanier Solis and Chris Arreola go on to have some meaningful wins and then retire, he'll move higher on the BoxRec all-time rankings.
                    Evander and vitali are great fighters and deserve all the praise they get..

The others don't deserve to be remembered.. Byrd had a pretty solid career and so did Ruiz but neither ever shined, and both got gift decisions

The other guys were just ranked contenders,, nothing more, nothing less

Comment

In a h2h list, evander and vitali would both be top 10-12

Comment

Working...
                      X