No announcement yet.

Closed circuit television

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    We were at the packed Forum for Hearns-Cuevas and it felt like we were the only Gringos there. When Hearns flattened him it let all the air out of the crowd and my friend said that we'd better get going. The other one was the first DLH-JCC fight. Every time they showed Oscar on the screen the boos were deafening. If anyone was cheering for DLH they were smart enough to keep it low key. There was a lot of people drinking hard liquor there so when the fight ended on a cut we literally sprinted out of there.

LOL That would be quite an experience to remember.

Comment

I also went to see another Closed Circuit bout in Atlantic City in 1989. It was Leonard-Hearns II also fought in Ceasars, Las Vegas. This fight had a little more action but I prefer the Boom Boom Mancini action. You know ... block the punches with your face type fight.
      Last edited by JerseyJoe; 01-01-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Like I said previously, there were very few closed circuit fights after people discovered the convenience of PPV at home. Duran-Leonard I (1980) was the first major PPV that I can remember. But just recently Golden Boy has put some of their PPV shows in theaters too. Often in Las Vegas there will be CC site opened up for sold out shows.

And I remember watching Savage-Steamboat on my television.
        Me too. Best Wrestlemania match ever. Although the best match ever would be Steamboat-Flair two out of 3 falls at Clash of the Champions 6. Just watched Savage-Steamboat again recently on the Macho Madness DVD I just got in the mail. I'm up to his later WCW matches now.

Comment

Fights I recall seeing on CCTV:
          • Ali vs Quarry I
          • Ali vs Frazier I & III
          • Ali vs Patterson I & II
          • Ali vs Foreman
          • Duran vs Leonard I & II
          • Hearns vs Cuevas
          I saw more, but the foregoing are off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            Fights I recall seeing on CCTV:
            • Ali vs Quarry I
            • Ali vs Frazier I & III
            • Ali vs Patterson I & II
            • Ali vs Foreman
            • Duran vs Leonard I & II
            • Hearns vs Cuevas
            I saw more, but the foregoing are off the top of my head.
            That's an impressive list of fights to see on closed circuit Television.

Comment

Great stories.

I've never experienced CC. There was no such thing in Europe. The big HW fights in the 70's was shown live in the middle of the Night on public service (monopoly) TV. So as a kid, I watched them with my dad who's a big boxing fan. After the Ali era, danish télévision stopped the live transmissions, but fortunately they continued on free german TV. Later when Leonard became the big crossover Star, the transmissions started again.

Comment

Saw Holmes vs Cooney on Closed Circuit in the Springfield Civic Center in Springfield, Massachusetts.Very good feel, and great crowd.

Comment

So this is a big screen they show the fights on in arenas? Do you get to hear the commentary when seeing a fight on closed circuit?

Comment

[FONT=Arial][I][B]Like I said previously, there were very few closed circuit fights after people discovered the convenience of PPV at home.

Maybe in your part of the world, but closed circuit fights were still common throughout the 80's in most parts of North America. PPV didn't take over until the closing of the decade/early 90's.
                    Last edited by Ham Porter; 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlickRickman View Post
                      Maybe in your part of the world, but closed circuit fights were still common throughout the 80's in most parts of North America. PPV didn't take over until the closing of the decade/early 90's.
                      Well I guess I was just lucky with my cable provider. I saw every fight that I wanted to on TV in the 80's. The only closed circuit fight I can remember going to was Gomez-LaPorte in 1984.

Comment

Working...
                      X