• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Joe Louis have stopped George Chavalo

What do ya think?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    What do ya think?
    Undoubtedly. Chuvalo may have been on his feet, but he wouldnt see the distance.

Comment

No i dont think so,,, Louis was barely 200 lbs,, he would win but i doubt he would stop him

Comment

What does his "200lb" weight have to do with not being able to stop George?
        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          What does his "200lb" weight have to do with not being able to stop George?
          Ray.
          it means that in historic terms joe louis was one of the smallest heavyweights ever to be a longtime champ,,,

he doesnt possess the power of a foreman, tyson or lewis,,,,

Its a fact,, he beat some big guys, but none were very skilled and i think louis would outpoint chavulo but not stop him,, much like roy jones outpointed ruiz but he wasnt going to stop him

Comment

I could see Louis stopping Chuvalo by tko; whether he'd put him down is another story altogether!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              it means that in historic terms joe louis was one of the smallest heavyweights ever to be a longtime champ,,,

he doesnt possess the power of a foreman, tyson or lewis,,,,

Its a fact,, he beat some big guys, but none were very skilled and i think louis would outpoint chavulo but not stop him,, much like roy jones outpointed ruiz but he wasnt going to stop him

You might be underestimating how hard Louis actually hit, his power was very much held in terrific esteem....the films hold up to scrutiny too.

Weight really doesn't always factor, I don't doubt that Dempsey and Baer hit like trains. David Haye has excellent power despite being a small and comparatively light 'heavyweight'.

Comment

Louis' power comes from that short, compact field of trajectory. I can't see Chuvalo taking those kind of shots for 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  I could see Louis stopping Chuvalo by tko; whether he'd put him down is another story altogether!
                  These are my thoughts as well. George was never floored his stoppages were to joe frazer by a broken orbital bone which displaced his eyeball and his corner stopping the foreman fight with George being stunned and protesting the stoppage. He was clearly hurt and not punching back though.

I think Louis size has almost nothing to do with any conceived power shortage
                  he had a powerful jab , hook and right hand. I honestly think chavalo would go the distance with any of the big heavyweights including lennox lewis would had excellent power. he also goes the distance with tyson

Comment

Louis was a titanic puncher and as stated by Monte Cox, a wicked combo puncher. JL could stop most HW - inc George Chuvalo, but am unsure about a KO. TKO or RSF are likely.

Comment

Working...
                    X