No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
    I - to a certain extent - beg to differ. While not in flamboyance or personality type, in the ring Larry Holmes was pretty much like Ali. When they fought each other, 'old man' Ali was, in essence, beaten by his younger self...
    you make a good point but post war ali was quicker than larry while larry did punch to the body more than ali. Ali inspired a few hw's larry, greg page and tony tubs to duplicate his style. As a side note I view Larry along with Gene Tunney as the two most underrated hws

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Well, "exciting" is subjective. I've always found Tyson's fights to be pretty dull. That's what's so great about boxing.
      why do you always pop up in every mike tyson thread?

Comment

I - to a certain extent - beg to differ. While not in flamboyance or personality type, in the ring Larry Holmes was pretty much like Ali. When they fought each other, 'old man' Ali was, in essence, beaten by his younger self...
        Well, using that standard then Mike Tyson was "pretty much like" Dempsey. In fact, Tyson was closer to Jack Dempsey stylistically than Holmes was to Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          ...As a side note I view Larry along with Gene Tunney as the two most underrated hws
          Don't know much about Tunney, but Holmes was underrated simply because he arrived upon the scene in the wake and shadow of Muhammad Ali, which was a rather tough act to follow.

Athletes of all sports have endured the "Rodney Dangerfield Syndrome" upon following a legend. In American Football, Steve Young on the heels of Joe Montana immediately comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            why do you always pop up in every mike tyson thread?
            Because it amuses me to converse with his nut-hugging fanboys.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Well, using that standard then Mike Tyson was "pretty much like" Dempsey. In fact, Tyson was closer to Jack Dempsey stylistically than Holmes was to Ali.
              You seem to agree that Holmes was closer to Ali than anyone else have ever been, or might ever be. If so, you validate my point.

Comment

You seem to agree that Holmes was closer to Ali than anyone else have ever been, or might ever be. If so, you validate my point.
                That's not what he said.

I can think of several heavyweights who fought more like Ali than Holmes did. None of them did it very well, but Holmes was not an Ali clone.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  That's not what he said.

I can think of several heavyweights who fought more like Ali than Holmes did. None of them did it very well, but Holmes was not an Ali clone.
                  Don't be silly... No one's anyone's clone, but if you can name someone more similar to Ali than Holmes since Ali, here's your chance.

Comment

Don't be silly... No one's anyone's clone, but if you can name someone more similar to Ali than Holmes since Ali, here's your chance.
                    Just amongst heavyweights? Quick Tillis, Greg Page, and several other 1980s scrubs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                      Just amongst heavyweights? Quick Tillis, Greg Page, and several other 1980s scrubs.
                      You pull some names out of a hat for the mere sake of rebuttal. You know full well that's nothing but horse manure...

Comment

Working...
                      X